Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Help Please... So hungry I am sick...

I agree with everyone to call the doctor and ask. Always err on the side of caution and be safe not sorry. I to hated it I thought I would fall over if I didn't get something in me besides liquids. I was so weak I stayed in bed for a few days but it passed I promise. It seems like an eternity until you can eat but you really do need to heal first. Best of luck hang in there!

Wow what great advice on here everyone. I too am wondering how I'm going to get through the first week. It is day one post op and I'm all ready hungry! I know I will be in the bathroom a lot with all these clear liquids! One thing that was stressed to me many times yesterday before and after surgery was to call my physician if I had any concerns or questions. I think the question you posted is a very appropriate one to ask your surgeon. This way you won't have to worry "did I do the right thing." Take care of yourself :)

Call your doctor and ask him what you should do. If he says go ahead and have something soft to eat do it but if not you will get through it. This is only temporary but you will do fine. Chin up and know this is not forever.

I just had to agree that eggs can be troublesome. I am new and still very loose, but eggs can get me when I least expect it.

You don't want to get stuck when you are newly banded for sure!

I had campbells Tomato Soup . you aren't fully tightened down yet.just sip it.

Try not to watch tv as when I first started it seemed , everything was about food I would read something or try to rest cause I just had major surgery and wanted to heal properly and not mess anything up because it cost to much money and health wise, so yes any concerns or questions I would bring up with my doc as I would also say follow up and ask your doc, because we are all different in our bodies and mind , but we are banded people.

Follow your doctors advice.

The recovery stage is difficult. You will be hungry. You get through it by telling yourself that it doesn't last forever.

Good luck!

I have been drinking Isopure which is a clear liquid drink with Protein. Not near as filling as a shake. I am going to have a Protein Shake now because I need a little substance. Thanks for you replies!!

ohhhhh, I thought they were protein shakes... It's unnecessary to say this AGAIN, but it's possible that if you call your surgeon they will allow you to progress to all liquids--- but NEVER solids!!!! ((No eggs!!!)) Like B-52 said, this is the headrest stages, and the most critical for compliance! Don't feel bummed to call the office (I know sometimes we feel like we bother them or don't wanna let them know we are "starving") but that's their JOB... They get payed heftily to do it. So call 50 times a day if you must!!

Are you taking an acid reducer? Call your doctor and ask him about this if you aren't. Many times acid will mimic a hunger that can't be filled. You will eat and then within a half hour your stomach hurts and you swear you are hungry all over again. This happened to me one day which was very unusual because I am never hungry. I would eat and before you knew it I was hungry again to the point of it hurting. Then I realized I forgot to take my Zantac and within 15 minutes of taking it I was feeling so much better. If you are taking an acid reducer you may need to switch brands or the script your doctor prescribed. We all react differently to acid reducers. :)

I would be afraid to do anything without consulting the dr. I think this is a great site for tips or ideas to communicate with others in similar situations, but you have to make sure you heal properly. I am on my last day of Clear liquids and luckily I haven't been starving like I thought I would be. I drink Water, apple juice, beef broth, sugar free Jello, and sugar free popsicles. I start Protein shakes tomorrow on my full liquid diet. I cannot wait because yogurt and cream Soups seems more like "food". Today is the first day I've craved food probably because family members are cooking sausage :( If you absolutely cannot do it, please call your doctor's office for advice before doing anything just to be safe.

Good Luck to You!

I am mid week on my full liquids week and Clear Liquids was tough but I couldn't handle throwing up after still having issues sitting up from my incisions. Once you get to full liquids when your doc gives you the green light you will feel a lot better. An Atkins shake I could have pounded pre-op I barely can get the 4oz in without filling up. Walking around helps to take your mind off the hunger too. Good luck!

I strayed a bit. Made egg drop Soup the first week. It was fab! I am on solid foods now. Eat a scrambled egg every morning with no difficulties at all. When I went for my first fill appointment I was 2 lbs ahead of schedule! Everyone is different.

Well I am not even 2 weeks out yet and 16 pounds down. I have no idea how long it takes to get to goal weight...not close though but very happy with the loss thus far. Of course everyone's journey is going to be different, we all have different surgeons and they will advise us how they see fit. I think from the posts I have read up until this point the masses are just stressing to consult your physician and see they what they think vs. taking someone's word on the internet that its okay to try something more substantial that could potentially cause a problem. No one is trying to attack anyone else. Its more of a safety issue. :)

Try not to watch tv as when I first started it seemed , everything was about food I would read something or try to rest cause I just had major surgery and wanted to heal properly and not mess anything up because it cost to much money and health wise, so yes any concerns or questions I would bring up with my doc as I would also say follow up and ask your doc, because we are all different in our bodies and mind , but we are banded people.

Absolutely, me too! I still look at some of the commercial, 1st in amazement on how much they think people eat. Then I sometimes want some of it too! Olive Garden is one that makes me drool! pizza places are killers, too!