Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Post-Op January 2014 Losers Club!

Fortunately for me I don't have any bad taste in my mouth. I have noticed that what I eat or drink the taste of whatever it may be lingers for a long time at least til I drink some Water.< /p>

Thanks for the encouragement guys! I put the scale away today and will weigh once a week. I am getting about 500 calories a day. 1 Protein Drink 1/2 cup Soup twice a day coffee cream, hello etc

Well I'm now joining you in a plateau :(. Scale was moving so well for over two wks, but now hasn't budged since Monday! Meanwhile I don't stop moving from 6:30 am to 9:30 pm! (2 little ones).

Hello all I'm 2 weeks ago today I wAs so scared, but the surgery went well and now being Home I feel great during the day. But when that 3:30 mark hits I'm going crazy for something to crunch on!! Any ideas besides ice chips, ice pops or Jello it's driving my nuts. I'm 12lb down feeling good but need some help

Tina, GUM has saved me! I'm 3 wks out and had that problem. Also, I have Decaf coffee with 3 splenda and powder non dairy cream.. also try sugar free hot cocoa. . And when totally desperate I get a finger of peanut butter!

If your sick of tasteless broth try boiling cabbage, chicken and cilantro. . Makes a delicious broth

Got out of the hospital Tuesday. Feel so much better. I'm now on pureed foods. I'm having trouble getting in 64 ounces of liquids everyday on top of 75g Protein. I am to the point the Bariatric Advantage shakes are now making me gag and I can't tolerate them. I went to sams club and got the Premier Protein shakes and I can drink those without gagging. I have a g tube and I can put shakes Water and meds in it so that helps. Right now I'm taking liquid meds and those make me gag too so I've been putting them thru my g tube. I will have the g tube until at least 8 weeks post op. I had an open rny and I'm surprised that I didn't have much pain with it. I mean the 1st 3 or 4 days was bad but I didn't take pain meds after 5 days post op. I was down 23 pounds at the Dr office yesterday but could be more they said because I was in the hospital and had a lot of iv fluids. I had pancreatitis and a uti but am so much better. Doing good now just working on getting in all my Proteins and fluids.

I have wondered if anyone else has experienced a bad taste in your mouth. I brush and use mouth wash and it returns. The things taste strange to me. Lol. Everything seems to taste like mildew. Strange I think.

R@ven, a lot of things leave a strange aftertaste for me, exceptions have been homemade chili and ice Water. I have tried flavored water packets but because of the aftertaste I have kept plain icewater and/or 1% milk, or swiss miss hot chocolate with me at all times. The same aftertaste goes for sugar free Jello and puddings. The few things i have tried like a dorito or a combo leaves a nasty taste too so I just deal with it at this point and stick to high Protein soft foods. I found a delicious high protein powder@GNC today with 60g of protein for 3 scoops in 12oz of water (havent tried it with my 1% milk yet). Hopefully the bad aftertaste is temporary but it does keep me in line with the right choices for 3wks out.

Hi All. I'm 2 1/2 weeks post op. I walked around and am finally up to doing normal routines. I pushed it too hard to soon with the walking and made my stomach sore.

I had a hard time but am finally learning what is "full". My life felt better after the JP tube was pulled.

Liquids are going down easier but I still can't handle more than 2oz at a time of food and I'm up to 3 sips of liquid then rest.

I had the bypass with a hernia repair. There's a slight difference in the recovery but nothing major. In fact I didn't get any of the common nausea or throw up side effect that other have. I wonder if the hernia repair helped.

I try to eat stage 3 foods but it's only made me really sick to my stomach. So I'm sticking with the puréeds. I'm looking forward to the long road of health and recovery.

Best of luck to those who are going for surgery. It's been the best decision I've made and I hope it's yours too. :)

Vicki1205, congrats on 23lbs! that is fantastic. I was slightly disappointed with my 18lbs, but i was told the same thing about anesthesia and the healing process...surgeon said "be proud. When was the last time you lost 18lbs in less than 3wks" and reminded me that this is only the beginning. Turned my attitude around into being more determined than ever...my energy level is at a five year (or more) high.

Keep on keeping on, lady!

Got out of the hospital Tuesday. Feel so much better. I'm now on pureed foods. I'm having trouble getting in 64 ounces of liquids everyday on top of 75g Protein. I am to the point the Bariatric Advantage shakes are now making me gag and I can't tolerate them. I went to sams club and got the Premier Protein shakes and I can drink those without gagging. I have a g tube and I can put shakes Water and meds in it so that helps. Right now I'm taking liquid meds and those make me gag too so I've been putting them thru my g tube. I will have the g tube until at least 8 weeks post op. I had an open rny and I'm surprised that I didn't have much pain with it. I mean the 1st 3 or 4 days was bad but I didn't take pain meds after 5 days post op. I was down 23 pounds at the Dr office yesterday but could be more they said because I was in the hospital and had a lot of iv fluids. I had pancreatitis and a uti but am so much better. Doing good now just working on getting in all my Proteins and fluids.

I am glad that you are out of the hospital and doing well. I think we all struggle at some point to get the water and protein into our tiny tummies. And kudos on the 23 lbs!!!

Hi All. I'm 2 1/2 weeks post op. I walked around and am finally up to doing normal routines. I pushed it too hard to soon with the walking and made my stomach sore.

I had a hard time but am finally learning what is "full". My life felt better after the JP tube was pulled.

Liquids are going down easier but I still can't handle more than 2oz at a time of food and I'm up to 3 sips of liquid then rest.

I had the bypass with a hernia repair. There's a slight difference in the recovery but nothing major. In fact I didn't get any of the common nausea or throw up side effect that other have. I wonder if the hernia repair helped.

I try to eat stage 3 foods but it's only made me really sick to my stomach. So I'm sticking with the puréeds. I'm looking forward to the long road of health and recovery.

Best of luck to those who are going for surgery. It's been the best decision I've made and I hope it's yours too. :)

I am 3 weeks post op from lap RNY and an umbilical hernia repair. I found that when taking walks I need my abdominal binder that the hospital sent home with me. It helps support my new upper GI system while I get some exercise. If I don't use it, I am hobbling back to my van hunched over and holding my stomach in agony.

Omg horrible taste in my mouth & like a film over it. Had surgery Tuesday it turned out to be over 6 hours. But I stopped pain meds Wednesday morning because of being sick, doing ok a lil pain it really hurt when they removed the drains. Had my first Protein Shake today only got about 3oz down, drinking lots of Water & crystal light. Going to try & go to the mall with the wife tomorrow.

Omg horrible taste in my mouth & like a film over it. Had surgery Tuesday it turned out to be over 6 hours. But I stopped pain meds Wednesday morning because of being sick, doing ok a lil pain it really hurt when they removed the drains. Had my first Protein Shake today only got about 3oz down, drinking lots of Water & crystal light. Going to try & go to the mall with the wife tomorrow.

Wow you are braver than I am. My surgery was Monday. I've been home since Tuesday night. I walked up and down my street today and needed an hour nap. I don't think I could handle the mall.

Good luck!

The only thing that tasted half way decent the first few days after surgery was diluted apple juice. It also help with the vague nausea I felt. There is no Protein so I didn't drink much.

As of my one month post-surgical check up, I am officially 360 lbs and I have been cleared to eat lean, moist meats and cheese. I also start my twice daily chewable vitamins. Woot. Next check up is in a month when I can be cleared for veggies, fruit, and carbs plus B12 shots and calcium/Vit D. Now to get my treadmill so I can get some real exercise. I have been dancing around the house with my iPod because the snow won't go away.

As of my one month post-surgical check up, I am officially 360 lbs and I have been cleared to eat lean, moist meats and cheese. I also start my twice daily chewable vitamins. Woot. Next check up is in a month when I can be cleared for veggies, fruit, and carbs plus B12 shots and calcium/Vit D. Now to get my treadmill so I can get some real exercise. I have been dancing around the house with my iPod because the snow won't go away.

Have you been using the treadmill? I'm 2 weeks out, and wondering when I can start. We have snow also, I don't have anywhere to walk. I can't really drive at this point in th snow. If it clears up I may try SAMs club for a walk on Wednesday, but we are supposed to get more snow!