Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Mushies stage, did anyone have baby food?

Hello.

Am on day 2 post op and not having any problems with the liquid diet so far, in fact the idea of normal food is scaring me a wee bit. With the mushies/soft food stage approaching I was wondering if anyone had had any baby food sachets, instead of pureeing food yourself. I am thinking more of the organic fruit purees etc, rather than the savoury, but as they are usually made with less acidic fruits and sugars I thought it might be a worthwhile investment.

Was curious to know if anyone else bought baby food for this stage?

Cheers

DP xx

I had baby Cereal (rice). Milupa raspberry rice Cereal. It was yummy! I mix it with cold milk. I still have it for Breakfast sometimes!

Baby food is loaded with fat because babies need fat for their brain development. You can blenderize regular food but I would not choose baby food.

i think adults should eat adult food

takes alittle bit longer to prepare but worth it and i am sure taste better

although i recall some tasty things when my son was a wee one..

i believe baby food should be for babies...

you can call and ask your doctor and see what they say and get an answer

that relates to you and your surgery.

I can understand why you think baby food may help but don't do it! During this stage I use this website http://www.advancedbariatricsurgery.com/forum/?f=10 and I add plain greek yogurt in everything. Remember Protein! Protein! Protein! Good Luck

I chose not to do baby food. I put my food in a blender and you get the flavor of real food / the texture changes a bit, but it was good.

Thank you Ladydiva will take a look. The baby fruit puree packs I might get as fruit in Dubai is so expensive it would cost a fortune to do it myself. Savory stuff I will def do myself as I prefer a paleo style diet so will need to go back through the recipe books and get my blender ready!

LadyDiva, thank you so much for that link. That is exactly the kind of information I've been searching for. I'm pre-surgery still for another 3 days but this is the kind of info I find extremely helpful. I've always been one of those eaters that don't enjoy food but was a sodaholic. I simply eat to kill hunger and I usually wait until I'm starving, around 2:00 in the afternoon, to even have my first meal and then eat the absolute worst kind of food. Had no idea this was very bad for the metabolism.

Edited by BamaBoo64

I have always liked Gerber baby bananas, even before I had surgery. I ate them during the mushies stage and still occasionally eat them as a snack. (People at work look at me weird though haha!) Obviously you want to aim for maximum Protein intake, but sometimes you get tired of the same thing over and over. In my opinion it's no different than eating applesauce, and actually probably better in some cases because sometimes there's a lot of added sugar in applesauce. As far as it being loaded with fat, that may be true of some blends but the the bananas don't have any fat in them.

Hi nurse! I recently bought some of the fruit puree pouches, will let you know how it goes. They literally only have pureed fruit in and nothing else so doubt they will be loaded with any hidden nasties. Unfortunately dubai is a weird place for food shopping and rediculously expensive for fresh produce. These pouches were 8aed each which is about $2.5 each which is so much cheaper than buying the fruit.

Am about to put my mushie menu together. Any recommendations?

When I first started out, I seriously considered purchasing some baby food but got chicken and didn't lol.

Hahah. I would love a really nicr piece of roast chicken. I have a feeling it may not go down too well though!

A magic bullet is wonderful...had so many great things in the mushy phase that were just pureed really well.

Good call. No idea where I would buy one here but will check online. We have a pretty good blender which I used the other day, maybe that will do the trick in the mean time?

My sister brought me a GE single blender for Christmas last year a Walmart for $20 I helped me during this stage. I still use it today to make my Protein smoothies and shakes.