Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Desperate! Serious complication. Need advice.

Please do not reply to this thread if you have any form of criticism or anything negative to say to me.

I had lap band surgery in 2009. Everything was great until 2011. I got glandular fever and lost too much weight so I was very skinny. The port ended up eroding through my stomach because I was so thin and it was literally on the outside of my body. I walked around like that for well over a month with no problems. Eventually it was getting difficult to even drink anything so I went to the hospital and they cut off the port. Without a port my band was rendered virtually useless. Over the course of a year I put on 20kg and was very, very unhappy. Then I had a new port put on and lost 10kg to reach my goal weight of 50kg. Sadly I developed a strange sore on my stomach and then another one. They are both open wounds and ooze puss every day. I can also see that the port is about to erode through my skin again like in 2011. It seems that the area around the port is infected.

I am very, very upset about everything.

Cutting off the port which will lead to weight gain is not an option for me at all. My lap band is the best thing that ever happened to me and I would rather die than not have it.

I am in a really difficult situation and was wondering if anyone has some practical advice.

My local surgeon comes back from holidays in 2 weeks. I spoke to him on the phone and he said he basically has no idea what can be done except for cutting off the port.

No comment except, best wishes, and here's hoping that they find an answer for a better new year for you! Karen..aka..kll724

When looking at the whole picture, it sounds like your body is rejecting the implant device. I totally understand you not wanting to lose the band, because I feel the same as you. But the reality is, what is happening with your body and the port, is very dangerous. Have you considered a revision surgery; possibly the sleeve or bypass? Honestly, I think the very first step is to figure out why your body is fighting back. I'm not certain your bariatric surgeon is the right one to do the work up; possibly an internist. You've had some pretty big issues, and finding out what processes may be going on in your body, is important.

Good luck.....I hope everything works out for you.

i would go directly to the ER if wounds are open and oozing as you write

and you would rather live then die (band or not band) let the dr decide the next step or steps.....all the best

It sure sounds like your body is trying to get rid of your port, and if it also goes to work on your band, your complications will get even worse. Like Carolinagirl, my life is more important than my weight loss surgery, and I'd go to the emergency room and call my bariatric surgeon immediately.

Please don't think that your only choices are to live skinny with open abdominal wounds or live fat without your port and/or band. Once the port complications are dealt with, you may be able to revise to a different bariatric surgery procedure that doesn't involve implants.

Good luck!

Jean

Edited by Jean McMillan

I would never spew negativity on,someone suffering like that. Im so sorry your dealing with that. Prayers that you can have a favorable solution. Is it possible to maybe reposition the port? I've heard of some having it near the breast where it's fleshier ?

Please do not wait 2 weeks for your surgeon to come back. Go to your local er and get them to look at it. If those wounds become infected without treatment you will become septic and it wont be pretty. There is nothing in the world better then life. Go take care of yourself.

Agree with the above. First take care of the problem of the port. Then if it was me I would at least consider a new WLS. No competition here, we do what's best for us each individually.

I am so sorry for your troubles. We all want to look good and be healthy, but at this price? NO! As stated by others, get to a doctor and get your self healthy!! Good luck and God bless.

Sweet, Miss-Cherry, this is not the end of the line for you. There are other options. PLEASE, get the medical help you need NOW!!!

When you're doing good and possibly revised to another method, we'll be hear to listen how you pulled through, and even better, you can maybe even be someone else's lifeline, who might go through this in the future.

Hi

We can all hear your pain and desperation. I am so sorry to hear what is going on for you.

First off, deal with the infection. See a doctor ASAP; you may need an antibiotic to knock it out.

Get your mind focused on healing the infection.

Then take steps needed to keep more infection from happening.

I don't know if you can keep the band or not. From what you wrote, it sounds like the lap band served you well and you reached your goal weight. However, it does not seem to be serving you now. So, it may be time to look at other weight loss strategies.

But first, you have to get the infection under control and cured. See the doctor, follow their instructions. Get rest and fluids. Eat all your meals. Doing these things will help you keep a more clear head about your situation so that you can think with intelligence rather than panic.

Keep all options open.

My body rejected the band, which was heart breaking. I had it removed. I now feel so good and healthy; I learned a lot while living with the band and am continuing to lose weight (which has really surprised me). So don't give up hope!

I hope you can settle down and get some much needed rest.

Please see to the infection immediately.

Here's a gentle hug for you.

~hiddn

Definitely no negative comments from me. I hope things get better. Have the doctors been able to explain the port situation?

I had yet another thought earlier today. Port infections are often a sign of band erosion (that is, the band eats through the stomach wall, from the outside to the inside of the stomach) because infection at the erosion site travels along the tubing to the port. Band erosion isn't usually fatal, but it demands urgent treatment, at least with antibiotics. Please let us know how you're doing!