Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

To Weigh or Not to Weigh

Hi All:

I am scheduled to be banded on March 26th. I was wondering - for those of you who've been through the process - do you weigh yourselves daily or is that not something you recommend. Just curious. Thanks! :help:

Hi All:

I am scheduled to be banded on March 26th. I was wondering - for those of you who've been through the process - do you weigh yourselves daily or is that not something you recommend. Just curious. Thanks! :help:

Hey Welcome to LBT! I usually do weigh every morning (when I weigh the lightest) But you'll notice more of a difference if you weigh maybe once a week. Pick a day that you want to weigh and you'll be happier with the results other than weighing everyday and not seeing the scale budge. I hope this helps.

You'll get yes and no answers on this one. For me, weighing daily is not something that works for me because my weight fluctuates so much. It goes a long way (no pun) for my self-esteem when I see consistent weight LOSS and not ups and downs. Therefore, I weigh once a week on the same day (if possible) wearing a bra and panties.

I don't recommend weighing every day........that said, I am a scale-addict!! I would love to keep it to only once a day! There are so many reasons not to weigh every day though, like the fact that my emotions are all tied up into that stupid number on the scale. And the fact that sometimes when you aren't losing pounds, you are still losing body fat.

On the other hand.....If I hadn't been weighing myself so often I wonder if I'd be so good at being accountable for what I eat. I wonder if I'd learn about my body as much as I have. Like, that I generally weight 1.2 lbs more at the end of the night then I will the next morning. And my optimal amount of calories and exercise for optimal weight loss.

I track my morning weigh in and all my calories on fitday.com. When I go back and look at the graph vs. my calorie input/output the weightloss makes sense.

There are some rough times though when My husband gets frustrated that I beat myself up over a dumb number and he hides the scale from me for a couple of days.....those have been pretty nice days!

Did I just confuse you more?!?!? lol

I now weigh once a week. Right after I got my band January 2007, I was weighing daily; sometimes two or three times a day or everytime I got the urge. I realized that I was becoming obsessed with it. Led to me being constantly discouraged and stressed out due to weight fluctuations throughout the day and from day to day. It's been hard but I make myself stick to my once weekly rule. I would recommend no more than twice per week. I personally am happier with weighing once per week (Friday morning).

Hey! I am being banded on the same day as you!

I try and weigh myself only once a week. I'd rather see a big number at the end than small numbers all week long!

Yes I would say once a week is avarage. :)

Iwould agree weight daily can at times be depressing stick to once a week much more productive. good luck with your band.:P

Hugs :( Lana X

Best of luck

I've been a daily weigher for a long time, even before banding. About 2 weeks ago, I stopped. Now, I'm going to try weighing once a week only. I was getting too tied up in what the scale said. I do wonder about the accountability factor, but am working on other things like tracking what I eat, and paying attention to how I feel and how my clothes fit.

Like so much else in bandland, the "right" answer varies from person to person and time to time. What I've learned that has helped the most is to be flexible and kind of check in with myself to see if I need to tweak anything.