Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

think i'm close to green, could use some feedback!

hello all! I was banded in july of this year, i have about 5.5 cc in my 10 cc band. this last fill, the dr gave me a full 1 cc because the prior fill of a half cc didn't do a thing. about two weeks after my fill, i am suddenly finding myself full on a few bites of food (about half a cup), which is great, i find it amazing, actually! but i'm still only staying full for 3 hours, i'm really looking to go 4 hours. i'm deliberate not to drink an hour after i eat (i thought that was the problem at one point, because i wasn't watching the clock too closely, but i've since set a timer on my phone) and i'm not eating mushy food; i'm getting Protein in first.

i'm slow to lose weight, i'm delighted if i lose a half a pound a week. right now, i'm down pound over two weeks, so i'm on track. is this green? would i be forcing it to have another adjustment in two weeks? (I go once a month). anyone else get to this point and decide to stay put or have an adjustment? i'd love some feedback.

thanks in advance!

jenn

I wish I could help you on this one... Perhaps GREEN ZONE people will read and respond. It's funny, but I have the opposite situation. I can go for HOURS in between meals and often eat only twice a day, but I can eat a larger volume of food before getting a "full" or "near full" sensation. So, I still have to be conscious of portion sizes. Can't wait to get in the GREEN ZONE. Perhaps my next doctor's visit on Jan. 13.

Hi there, I am actively working towards this as well. My surgeon's goal for me is a tennis-ball sized meal and not hungry again for 4-5 hours. I have had three fills so far as part of their regular protocol (no Fluid in band at placement) and they seem to expect patients to take 4-5 before getting to the green zone. Of course this varies greatly by individual. I originally thought I might be one of those people who did not require a fill because I was not hungry after my surgery, but then the hunger did return. Mostly I've been able to stay satisfied on the small portion but then I get hungry again too soon. Just recently I am noticing a desire for a larger volume of food. So this tells me I definitely need another fill -- that is scheduled for January 6th. And then I am booked for January 20th (two weeks after) to assess that and see whether yet another will be indicated. I marked this thread to "follow" so maybe we can keep touching base. I have the chart, of course, with what the yellow, green and red zones are, but it's such an individual thing. And then there's the post-fill adjusting that the body does. As for protocol, I have no post-op protocol at all, beyond "take it easy." Well I always take it easy because I had one ghastly stuck episode early on and I don't ever want to repeat that. But I don't do all-liquids. Wondering what your post-op protocols are like and what you are looking for in terms of signs? Oh, also, I have been able to tolerate foods around me without wanting to indulge and now I am doing the "outlawing" thing -- getting stuff out of the house and declaring it illegal for me, etc. This tells me I am not near the Green Zone, that I have that dieter's mentality big-time right now. I'd like to get to the point when I can have an open jar of nut butter in the house without waking up in the morning and thinking about it. Good grief. Or cheese. Let's not even discuss that.

My doctor has told me that if I can't go 4 hours without food, then I'm not green. I'm happy with the sudden desire to eat less, I know then I'm getting less calories even if I'm eating every 3 hrs vs 4. I guess this is just when the fills get smaller. I had a hiatal hernia fixed at the time I got lap band, so my dr was conservative with fills. I've actually done really well with that recovery and have not had any acid reflux since the surgery. I guess I'm just looking to make sure I'm not being too nitpicky about what green actually is.

My Dr. would refer to this chart he had hanging on the wall, and ask me EXACTLY were I felt I was...could be yellow, borderline yellow-green, or green, etc, etc....he would then ask a few other questions, mainly about hunger - cravings, look at my weight loss for the month, if any, then determine if I needed another adjustment or not....he made no qualms that his goal was to get me smack dab in the middle of green...

So, how is your hunger? The chart does not say how many hours...simply no hunger....many people say this is true for them between meals only...I am one of those that has no hunger at all...24 hours a day I can care less about eating, but I'll not go into that now.......

Second is portion control....can you overeat with little of no problem? Eat anything whenever you want with no limits? Again, speaking only for Myself, it is impossible for me to overeat...I throw more food away....

The other 2 are no brainers...if you have the others, the rest falls into place...

Everyone is different...I know I am different and do not expect others to be just like me....but my hunger/cravings are under control, cannot over eat, have steadily lost weight to the point I am done loosing, so it goes without saying I have complete Patient Satisfaction....

Many people find their "Patient Satisfaction" within their own comfort zones, and that's what is really important...that the band works for them...

lap_band_fill_zpsfa76dbdb.jpg

My doc says 3-4 hours. I can go 4 to 5.

I would have to say Im in the green zone. I recently had to have an unfill an let me tell that was horrible. I was at 7.2cc in my 10cc band. my dr said usually ppl are done after this they don't get more fills. Well all was good for few hours. I was spitting out foam constantly an I had this horrible pain. I went all night with it didn't sleep it was bad I was so scared my band slipped. I called the dr as soon as they opened told them what was going on they said you need to come up now to get some Fluid out....It was like the past 2 almost 3 feels were just gone. I felt so bad like I did something wrong an this was a huge set back. I get there an had to have 2.7cc taken out. I was too full and my band had irritated my stomach so bad it was swollen nothing would go through my band. When they took the Fluid out instantly that pain was gone and no foam. This was the day before thanksgiving. I did get another fill and id say im pry there im not gonna go in for a fill unless I stop loosing weight. I loose at least 2lbs a week and im not working myself to death with exercise. I have noticed some days I am hungrier some days not so much it just really varies. Id have to say if your loosing about a 1-2 lbs a week your in your green zone.

I would have to say Im in the green zone. I recently had to have an unfill an let me tell that was horrible. I was at 7.2cc in my 10cc band. my dr said usually ppl are done after this they don't get more fills. Well all was good for few hours. I was spitting out foam constantly an I had this horrible pain. I went all night with it didn't sleep it was bad I was so scared my band slipped. I called the dr as soon as they opened told them what was going on they said you need to come up now to get some Fluid out....It was like the past 2 almost 3 feels were just gone. I felt so bad like I did something wrong an this was a huge set back. I get there an had to have 2.7cc taken out. I was too full and my band had irritated my stomach so bad it was swollen nothing would go through my band. When they took the Fluid out instantly that pain was gone and no foam. This was the day before thanksgiving. I did get another fill and id say im pry there im not gonna go in for a fill unless I stop loosing weight. I loose at least 2lbs a week and im not working myself to death with exercise. I have noticed some days I am hungrier some days not so much it just really varies. Id have to say if your loosing about a 1-2 lbs a week your in your green zone.

I do not believe people should compare how much one has in their band to others, but in this case I will say I have 7cc's in my band also, 10cc band, and has been that way for 2-1/2 years now...some days are tighter than others, just the way it is....

I steadily lost weight on a weekly basis until there was simply no more weight left to loose, and still be healthy...as long as I keep the Protein up, I lost fat until it was gone...simple as that....I now have a very low body fat%....above (below) normal in the "Athletic" - Fit range....

When I got to that point I asked my Dr. "Now What?" He said there was nothing to do......this is your new life...never have a need for another fill, or un fill...it just is....

I do not believe people should compare how much one has in their band to others, but in this case I will say I have 7cc's in my band also, 10cc band, and has been that way for 2-1/2 years now...some days are tighter than others, just the way it is....

I steadily lost weight on a weekly basis until there was simply no more weight left to loose, and still be healthy...as long as I keep the Protein up, I lost fat until it was gone...simple as that....I now have a very low body fat%....above (below) normal in the "Athletic" - Fit range....

When I got to that point I asked my Dr. "Now What?" He said there was nothing to do......this is your new life...never have a need for another fill, or un fill...it just is....

Awesome!

I would have to say Im in the green zone. I recently had to have an unfill an let me tell that was horrible. I was at 7.2cc in my 10cc band. my dr said usually ppl are done after this they don't get more fills. Well all was good for few hours. I was spitting out foam constantly an I had this horrible pain. I went all night with it didn't sleep it was bad I was so scared my band slipped. I called the dr as soon as they opened told them what was going on they said you need to come up now to get some fluid out....It was like the past 2 almost 3 feels were just gone. I felt so bad like I did something wrong an this was a huge set back. I get there an had to have 2.7cc taken out. I was too full and my band had irritated my stomach so bad it was swollen nothing would go through my band. When they took the fluid out instantly that pain was gone and no foam. This was the day before thanksgiving. I did get another fill and id say im pry there im not gonna go in for a fill unless I stop loosing weight. I loose at least 2lbs a week and im not working myself to death with exercise. I have noticed some days I am hungrier some days not so much it just really varies. Id have to say if your loosing about a 1-2 lbs a week your in your green zone.

Another way to look at this is this way: You're fairly new to this so it takes some time for many of us to be able to tell the difference between being hungry and having cravings? Also, being full is OK if it's on a half cup of food but "FULL" is not the feeling we should be looking for. Are we hungry? Are we satisfied with the food we've eaten even if there is still some left on the plate? Look for the satiety signals before you look for "FULL".

To me, it sounds like you may be in the zone or very near it? If you are having stuck episodes now and find it difficult for many types of food to pass through the band, you should reconsider having a fill. If you have no such episodes, maybe a small fill(.25cc) might put you over the top?

Ask your doctor or nutritionist?

tmf

Edited by 2muchfun

You sound pretty green to me! If you wanted a slight tweak next month to try, it might be okay. I am at 5 cc, in my 10 cc band, 5.3 was too much for me. But, I did have to try a tweak to see, and then had to have it taken back out. SO, I am one who wouldhave to say, if you want to try a little bit, it would be up to you. But you sound pretty green to me! Best wishes for a happy and healthy new year. Karen..aka..kll724

You sound pretty green to me! If you wanted a slight tweak next month to try, it might be okay. I am at 5 cc, in my 10 cc band, 5.3 was too much for me. But, I did have to try a tweak to see, and then had to have it taken back out. SO, I am one who wouldhave to say, if you want to try a little bit, it would be up to you. But you sound pretty green to me! Best wishes for a happy and healthy new year. Karen..aka..kll724

That's what I did and moved right in.

After reading everyone's feedback (thank you!) i think the problem might be that i'm not eating enough at my meals. i went back through all the notes the office gave me before the surgury and i may have been rushing my meals. today i am going to try to get a full cup of food in at each meal and see if that gives me some more satisfied time. thanks again for all the feedback, it's really very very helpful.

Think Protein. Maybe add a light greek yogurt

Edited by SandyM