Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Newbie in Hawaii

Hi everyone,

I hope you guys had an amazing holiday and a Happy New Year in the next few days.

I live in Hawaii and I'm a newlywed, yay!

I have lots of questions about the lap band procedure etc.

But first, I now have tricare prime and I have my first-ever general appointment with my new doctor in a few days.

I know that with the military insurance I have to meet with my general Doctor for a check up and etc.

My question is, how do I bring up the question of getting the lab band? I want to make sure that I do everything in my power to have the surgery and I want to start off with my relationship with my doctor right.

What did you do?

How did you get started?

Here are my stats:

33 years old

290 lbs.

Highest lbs. 320 lbs

Lowest lbs. 240 lbs

Thanks! :-)

Edited by Ramuse

Good question. There's always that fear that you may get a doctor who doesn't agree with the procedure. And they do exist. I say, don't let anyone keep you from your goal. I haven't even told my primary care doc that I've had LBS.

The way I arrived to this point was that I did a Google search for Lap Band and my city. I found a Bariatric program at one of the local hospitals. I watched their seminar online and then filled out contact info. They contacted me and it just went from there. it was easy.

I'm not sure how your insurance works but I would find out if you need a referral first. But otherwise, I would research surgeons in your area and contact their office for aadvice. They'll tell you what to do.

Good question. There's always that fear that you may get a doctor who doesn't agree with the procedure. And they do exist. I say, don't let anyone keep you from your goal. I haven't even told my primary care doc that I've had LBS.

The way I arrived to this point was that I did a Google search for Lap Band and my city. I found a Bariatric program at one of the local hospitals. I watched their seminar online and then filled out contact info. They contacted me and it just went from there. it was easy.

I'm not sure how your insurance works but I would find out if you need a referral first. But otherwise, I would research surgeons in your area and contact their office for aadvice. They'll tell you what to do.

Wow, thanks. Great advice! Ok, so I will get in contact with my insurance company and find out if I need a referral. If I don't then I'll contact a surgeon (I already know of one here in my area). If I do need a referral then I just hope everything will go ok with my primary doctor.

Can you tell me what was the reason you didn't tell your primary doctor? And also, wouldn't they need to know that info?

Thanks!

Edited by Ramuse

Some pcps want their patients to lose the traditional way. You don't need a referral from him though - but it does look good for the insurance if another doctor recommends you have the surgery. The surgeon will ask if you want your PCP to be notified and sent your records. But if you really wanted, you don't have to tell your PCP anything.

I also saw on another thread that tricare doesn't approve lap bands - so you may want to check with your insurance company.

I also saw on another thread that tricare doesn't approve lap bands - so you may want to check with your insurance company.

Ok thanks. I'll look for that thread. I really hope that is not the case but I will start with my insurance company and ask them.

Thanks again!

Ok so alittle bit of good news. I spoke with my insurance company- I have standard not prime, yay.

And they said that I should be ok. If the doctor doesn't want to refer me then I can look for a doctor that takes tricare standard and the insurance will pay for it!

Baby steps but I'm on my way.

I didn't tell my primary care doc only because I didn't really have any reason to contact her. The surgeon's office may have contacted her for info or files. I'm pretty sure she would've been supportive, I just hadn't seen her.

when i approached my pcp he was all for it. i never expected it from him, i thought i was going to have to talk him into it but he knew the kind of struggle i had been waging. so he backed me up 100percent and even found a surgeon for me. so just be ready to give your info and broach the subject of wls. you might be surprised.

I didn't tell my primary care doc only because I didn't really have any reason to contact her. The surgeon's office may have contacted her for info or files. I'm pretty sure she would've been supportive, I just hadn't seen her.

Ohhh I see. Ok.

Thanks

when i approached my pcp he was all for it. i never expected it from him, i thought i was going to have to talk him into it but he knew the kind of struggle i had been waging. so he backed me up 100percent and even found a surgeon for me. so just be ready to give your info and broach the subject of wls. you might be surprised.

Wonderful, ok. I'm happy I asked, just alittle nervous to meet him and then say "oh yeah, I want to get lap band surgery" at the first appointment but I'm going to be 34 and I can not take being overweight any longer.

I'm so tired of people telling me "you would look so nice if you were smaller" and now I get, " no kids? Well you need to lose weight before you have them because you'll gain like 50lbs or more with them" -from my family.

I want my future kids to see me healthy and happy. :-)

Hi Ramuse, so glad you found this forum. I joined in June and while I spent the summer going through the various steps required by the local hospital program I read all kinds of posts. So much helpful information -- and some red herrings, too, but after a couple weeks of sifting through you'll be able to detect those posts from people who are unwilling to address behavior modification in any way or people who don't understand that the band needs to be properly adjusted which may take a little while after the surgery. I was banded in November and am almost eight weeks out. I love, love, love my band and I'm not even in the green zone yet. It is a wonderful thing to have that appetite monster off my back, though there are a few reappearances of late (sign I need another fill). Know that the process is different for every one -- not just because of our individual bodies but because doctors and weight loss centers have varying protocols. Some of us do a lot of pre-op liquid diet or some such, others none. Some bands are "primed" which means the surgeon starts the patient off with a fill, while others of us have nothing in the band until six weeks out when we go for our first fill. I chose the band because I knew I did not want to have something too drastic -- I like the idea that it can be removed if that is ever necessary. I like the adjustability factor and the followup with my surgeon -- it gives me accountability. Good for you for calling your insurance company. I spoke with mine a few different times to verify everything and then of course the doctor's office had their own verification process. I had to stay on top of it to keep things moving forward. I also got a therapist to go through the process with me and to examine the ways I used food to soothe and ground myself -- not that I hadn't really worked on that before but this was different because of getting the band. I broke it down to very specific times I turn to food and then got ahead of it just by noticing, noticing, noticing. Even without giving up the behavior in advance of getting the band this helped me so much as the band is about listening to our bodies. I am 52 and wish this had been available to me in my thirties to save two decades of poor self-esteem and weight-related health issues. So happy for you! Good luck in your process and ask away -- people here are very compassionate and willing to share information about how it works for them.

Hello, I have tricare also. I was banded Aug of last year. My PCP was wonderful. I did have to go monthly for 6 months to get weighed for insurance.. My surgene did tell me not to lose anything so that insurance would pay for it. I was upset at first for having to wait six months but it turned out for the best. I feel I was more prepared. It gave me time to get ready for it. Especially mentally. I came on the site a lot. The best decision I have made for myself.

I have Tricare Prime as well. So far it hasn't been too difficult insurance wise. I did have to have a referral from my PCP though. I went on the Tricare site, found put which surgeons Tricare allowed and researched until I found one I was comfortable with. Every region is different but I'm in the South region. Good luck with your Journey! I was terrified to ask my PCP for the referral, but all he could say was no, but he didn't! Got my referral approved I one day! Just tell him why you want to do it! :) you can do this!

Hi Ramuse, so glad you found this forum. I joined in June and while I spent the summer going through the various steps required by the local hospital program I read all kinds of posts. So much helpful information -- and some red herrings, too, but after a couple weeks of sifting through you'll be able to detect those posts from people who are unwilling to address behavior modification in any way or people who don't understand that the band needs to be properly adjusted which may take a little while after the surgery. I was banded in November and am almost eight weeks out. I love, love, love my band and I'm not even in the green zone yet. It is a wonderful thing to have that appetite monster off my back, though there are a few reappearances of late (sign I need another fill). Know that the process is different for every one -- not just because of our individual bodies but because doctors and weight loss centers have varying protocols. Some of us do a lot of pre-op liquid diet or some such, others none. Some bands are "primed" which means the surgeon starts the patient off with a fill, while others of us have nothing in the band until six weeks out when we go for our first fill. I chose the band because I knew I did not want to have something too drastic -- I like the idea that it can be removed if that is ever necessary. I like the adjustability factor and the followup with my surgeon -- it gives me accountability. Good for you for calling your insurance company. I spoke with mine a few different times to verify everything and then of course the doctor's office had their own verification process. I had to stay on top of it to keep things moving forward. I also got a therapist to go through the process with me and to examine the ways I used food to soothe and ground myself -- not that I hadn't really worked on that before but this was different because of getting the band. I broke it down to very specific times I turn to food and then got ahead of it just by noticing, noticing, noticing. Even without giving up the behavior in advance of getting the band this helped me so much as the band is about listening to our bodies. I am 52 and wish this had been available to me in my thirties to save two decades of poor self-esteem and weight-related health issues. So happy for you! Good luck in your process and ask away -- people here are very compassionate and willing to share information about how it works for them.

Thanks sooo much for commenting, means alot to me.

I'm happy that you love your band! I can't wait to get there.

I really want to brake my "after meal, food chasers." Or 2nd helpings - I want to feel full and be done with my meals instead of going back for 2nds and 3 rds.