Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I want my lap band out!

yes I'm afraid we are being duped here.. nobody with an ounce of sense would think eating pizza and chocolate are part of the banded life... this is a waste of time...

Not sure if you're being sarcastic (humorous) or not.....

I don't eat pizza, because I CAN"T...it is not band friendly for me and probably a 85% chance I will get stuck...so it is on my "Do Not Eat" list....

chocolate, on the hand, I enjoy as a treat from time to time....just not as much as I used to do when I would binge eat...

Sounds like you also need to speak with your dietitian. Some changes in your diet are in order. Some of the things you are eating along with the carbonated drinks might be causing your issues. I'm 6 months banded and have had 3 fills so far. I notice with each fill I have to make more changes with my diet and what and how I eat. I don't have a problem with that. I understand I'm still in early days but you also have to understand this is a learning process. You have to learn to listen to your band in order for it to work. When you go see the dr you need to be totally honest and tell them exactly what you are eating and what you are experiencing. You can't just quit. I knew when I decided to have wls that it was going to be a journey. Not a quick fix by any means, and my surgical team made that crystal clear at each visit and even went over it again in pre-anesthesia. So, I'm not sure if you didn't do enough research prior to surgery or if you think you can keep your old eating habits and still lose weight. It just doesn't work. I wish you all the best, changing old habits is never easy, but if you work with your band and not against it I fell you would be much happier in the end.

I don't understand how you think that eating pizza and three slices at that is on the list of what you can eat foods. Nothing on your diet that you have listed is healthy. Especially all the soda you are drinking. Soda causes weight gain and hinders weight loss. I think the real problem here is you are eating with the same mentality you did before you got the band. I am not sayin a slice of pizza now and then is bad but no way can I now or before any fills could eat three slices of pizza. If you are just trying to make our hair stand up then you have done your job. If you seriously are eating like you stated then no way would any of us lose weight. I don't see why if you have good cuts of meat that are tenderly cooked that you can not eat them. Some days for me its hit and miss but the days that I can eat meat I take advantage of it. The days I cant eat meat I find other things that are healthy and not pizza and soda. You have to know that those things are what got you over weight to begin with. Why not some cottage cheese instead of meat with some fruit on it. Why not some nicely cooked seasoned Beans. Your choice of foods is why you did not do well with the band so it probably is a good idea for you to get it out. If you don't change your eating habits once the band is in place then it will not help you do its job. You have to help. Point blank.

Hello Cheryl,

Do you have a pintrest or somewhere u post ur recipes? I never had tofu and would like to try different vegetarian meals. I eat meat and hopefully after my band I can still tolerate chicken and fish (at least). But I still want to try other Protein supplements to make sure I get enough daily intake while changing up my foods. Definitely don't want to eat the same things all the time.

I'm on pintrest at Madahooha28@gmail.com

meat has always been an issue for me and it really has nothing to do with emptying your band. Even without fills I can not eat meat mostly. If I do once in a while and it works then fine but honestly I don't miss it. Being a vegan is not as bad as you think. I have made some very good recipes like black bean burgers and black bean casserole and cooking tofu in other things. Although at times I would like a piece of meat it is not essential to live. I buy all vegan products such as Boca burgers which taste just like hamburger's and Boca ribs. These are all soy products that taste great and taste like meat. Try different options before you give up on your band. Like I said meat has never been an option for me even when I had no fills so getting unfilled may not be your problem to eat meat. You just may not be able to tolerate it.

I know I make bad food choices. I have said that from the beginning. But the only results I have EVER gotten from the band is not being able to swallow alot of meats. I don't get full any differently now than I did before the band, and that has not changed at all.

I am not trying to get all your panties in a bunch. I am struggling and reached out.

Hello Cheryl,

Do you have a pintrest or somewhere u post ur recipes? I never had tofu and would like to try different vegetarian meals. I eat meat and hopefully after my band I can still tolerate chicken and fish (at least). But I still want to try other Protein supplements to make sure I get enough daily intake while changing up my foods. Definitely don't want to eat the same things all the time.

meat has always been an issue for me and it really has nothing to do with emptying your band. Even without fills I can not eat meat mostly. If I do once in a while and it works then fine but honestly I don't miss it. Being a vegan is not as bad as you think. I have made some very good recipes like black bean burgers and black bean casserole and cooking tofu in other things. Although at times I would like a piece of meat it is not essential to live. I buy all vegan products such as Boca burgers which taste just like hamburger's and Boca ribs. These are all soy products that taste great and taste like meat. Try different options before you give up on your band. Like I said meat has never been an option for me even when I had no fills so getting unfilled may not be your problem to eat meat. You just may not be able to tolerate it.

I only have a few on Pinterest but not many. I have made my own black bean burgers and a black bean casserole I will email you the recipes. Tofu basically takes on the flavor of whatever you cook it with. I have sautéed it with cabbage but I use a lot of seasonings. To me that is key to eating vegan you don't want to buy things and they taste bland. I will send you the links to my pinterest and also my hubpages and my group on Facebook if you would like. Let me know.

I know I make bad food choices. I have said that from the beginning. But the only results I have EVER gotten from the band is not being able to swallow alot of meats. I don't get full any differently now than I did before the band, and that has not changed at all.

I am not trying to get all your panties in a bunch. I am struggling and reached out.

You don't need meat to live. Try boca burgers they are really good focus your Protein on other foods. I don't really miss meat. If its just about the meat then I would find other things. They make vegan ribs that are delish if you want meat but cant eat it. There are many things you can eat without needing meat. I would not want my band out just because I cant eat meat. If you can eat three whole slices of pizza then I don't see why you cant eat meat or you just don't know how to eat it. I never eat mine dry always with gravy, ketchup or something what about fish? You have to stop at some point and figure out what can you eat that is healthy. Your making bad choices just because you cant eat meat. I could go nine years and not eat meat and I would still be satisfied.

I'm glad you're going to get this issue looked at. It sounds to me that your band has too much Fluid in it and you could use an unfill. Great job on keeping a food diary! I know this helps me alot, just to see what exactly I'm putting in my body!

Here are my thoughts/advice regarding your food diary:

I think the portions you're eating are too large. So for instance for Breakfast maybe only do one egg, 1 maybe 2 slices of bacon and 1/2 slice of cheese in tortilla- or try skipping the tortilla all together.

There shouldn't be a need for Snacks. If you're eating your protien first, you should be full and it should satisfy you for atleast 4 hours, which is typically when your next meal is, so I would cut out Snacks all together. The other thing I noticed is your choice of beverages. I was instructed to STRICTLY cut out ALL carbonated beverages. II'm not sure if you're drinking during your meals but if so, that could be another reason why your food isn't staying with, it's washing your food through the band too quickly. So no carbonated beverages and wait 1 hour to drink anything after a meal. Three slices of pizza?? I'm not sure how you could possibly get all of this down especially if you're band is too tight, that's alot of food! I don't do pizza at all because it's not got any of the nutrition in it we need. The greek yogurt is a great choice if feel you need a I think the dinner choice was good too, but maybe try weighing your meat on a scale vs. by the cup etc. you should only consume 3-4 oz of Protein per meal not sure what that measurement comes out to by the cup. I believe if you make these small changes you will see a HUGE difference in the way your food stays with you and how your band works. You can do this, you just have to work the band and do EXACTLY as the Dr. have instructed you to do! Good luck! I hope everything works out at your appointment!

I goto my lap band dr on Tuesday the 7th.

In the last week I have gone back to basics. I am controlling my portion size and keeping my calories at 1200 a day, low carbs, high Protein. I have not had a carbonated drink since Wednesday.

I am trying to change my mindset as well. I know I am an emotional eater, and I tend to obsess about food sometimes. So I am working on it. One day at a time.

I started my mind set change earlier in the week, and decided to make my food changes starting Thursday.

I started this on Thursday-

Thursday my totals were: 1334 calories, 80 fat grams, 83 carbs, 58 Protein

Friday my totals were: 1283 calories, 74 fat grams, 87 carbs, 61 Proteins

Sounds like you are on the right track. This is not an easy journey for sure but will be a lifetime of vigilance. Let us know how your appointment goes on Tuesday.

I goto my lap band dr on Tuesday the 7th.

In the last week I have gone back to basics. I am controlling my portion size and keeping my calories at 1200 a day, low carbs, high Protein. I have not had a carbonated drink since Wednesday.

I am trying to change my mindset as well. I know I am an emotional eater, and I tend to obsess about food sometimes. So I am working on it. One day at a time.

​I am very proud of you!! Yesterday I went out with my husband to eat at a local diner. I knew the owner/cook had WLS but until yesterday never knew it was the band. He has had it for 4 years and lost around 150. He yelled at me for what I ordered, a hot dog, no roll and some french fries. He said a roll would have been better than the fries.

He cooks all day and he always has his Protein shake for when he gets hungry. We both use Body Fortress in chocolate.

At night when I would have been eating, I play poker on Poker Stars for about 4-6 hours. I am a huge poker player. I have ADD so I play poker, watch tv and read at the same time. I always have drinks, like hot tea or iced tea. Another way to get your mind off food, wet nail polish. You can't eat with wet nails. I now wear gel polish so I don't apply top coat anymore.

I never allow food in my bedroom, if you are the same, watch tv , read or exercise in your bedroom.

Good luck. We are all rooting for you!!

can you post the black bean burger and cassrole please cheryl

Hello Cheryl,

I only have a few on Pinterest but not many. I have made my own black bean burgers and a black bean casserole I will email you the recipes. Tofu basically takes on the flavor of whatever you cook it with. I have sautéed it with cabbage but I use a lot of seasonings. To me that is key to eating vegan you don't want to buy things and they taste bland. I will send you the links to my pinterest and also my hubpages and my group on Facebook if you would like. Let me know.

can you post the black bean burger and cassrole please cheryl

Hello Cheryl,

my DIL's uncle is Dr. Neal Barnard and he is a real vegan. He has many cook books out. He is always on tv promoting his vegan ways and he turned Ellen into a vegan, too. She had met him at someone's house and loved his ways. I will never be a vegan, I hate veggies. Good luck.

Hi Sunnygirl. Hugs first of all. I'm glad you decided to change your way of thinking in regards to how you view foods. I hope you decide to keep your band for your continued health. Maybe seeing a counselor from time to time can possibly help you with staying focused. I wish you much success in this new year.