Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Does anyone regret this surgery?

Hi, im almost 1 month post op and I have been regretting my decision since 12/2/2013! I wasn't ready mentally and still far away from accepting it as of today. This is truly a life style change. Im at the stage were I can have soft to regular food and I just hate to eat. Eating has become painful even with the tiny bites its just to much to bare. I rather drink drink; but I no that's not enough. Is there anyone else fighting with this.

Wennie,

Have you asked your doctor and nutritionist what they think? I did not experience any pain from drinking or eating after my surgery. I was 8 weeks out on December 20th.

Good luck.

Make sure when drinking you are sipping small sips and eating small bites and chewing very well.

It will be good in the long run. It's an adjustment and I have felt regrets too but hopefully I will be over 100 pounds down. Weight is something we will struggle with our whole lives. This will help. How much weight have you lost?

No, I have not had a single regret. But I also had a textbook recovery. No issues with eating or drinking. I was very careful to take small sips.

My first two were terrible and now I'm adjusting. Reading this really helped.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Emotional-First-Aid-Kit/dp/0976852659

I do not regret doing this surgery at all. I did go through the emotional crying spells during the first month as I couldn't eat like I did before. I realized how much our society is focused on food and I had to adjust to it. I still have to adjust to it as I can't eat bread, I have to eat VERY slowly and with small bites, and sometimes it is painful because I wasn't paying attention to what I was doing. I have to be very aware of my eating when I am with friends as I tend to not realize my bite size and things get stuck and I am in pain. Very few people know I had surgery so I have to remain calm and excuse myself from the table.

BUT, there is something so rewarding that I can not put into words about going clothes shopping now! Looking in the mirror is wonderful! I can actually run on my treadmill now where once I could barely walk. I am going to an amusement park with my family on Thursday and for the first time I am super excited because I know I will fit in the rides! I can go on the rides with my children instead of standing on the sidelines pretending that it doesn't bother me.

This surgery is a life style change but it was also a life style change without it as I couldn't do the simple things: cross my legs; be physically active without breathing real heavy; having a variety of clothes to choose from; not fitting in standard size chairs or worrying that it may break (sometimes it did too), and most importantly, feeling good about myself. I had surgery in March 2013 and have lost 58 lbs. I could have lost more if I worked even harder and pushed myself harder, but I am happy with my progress and more forward every day knowing that I am never going back to my old ways with the help of my lap band. This is a tool to help with weight loss and one does need to be mentally prepared to deal with the commitment. I do get frustrated like this evening when my family was having an awesome holiday dinner with so many of my favorites and I could barely eat it. When I did take a bite of something I shouldn't have, I paid the price and had that horrible feeling of being stuck. It is my partnership with my lap band reminding me to not do that and stay the course of reaching my goal weight. Is it frustrating, yes! But when I am on that roller coaster on Thursday, it will be soooo worth it!

This forum is very helpful and looking at the posts above, sounds like there is some more reading that may help you out with this new journey…. Much success to you!

I'm 8 months out and down 70 pounds. I went from a size 20 to a size 8. I thought I was going to die the first two days. Since then I have thanked God everyday for giving me this gift. It was a magic bullet. I would do it again and again! No regrets. Just keep the faith and don't give up. It will get easier and easier. The point of the surgery was to take away your craving for food and to reduce the amount of your food intake. I drank lots of Decaf ice tea with Splenda and GNC brand of Protein Shakes. And, Water popsicles. I eat anything I want now. Just small portions. And, I'm still losing. You will be fine. Imagine walking into The Gap and pulling on a pair of button fly cords in a size 8 with room to spare. It's all worth it. I promise!

post-174838-0-77143800-1387860184_thumb.jpg

post-174838-0-52882500-1387860288_thumb.jpg

Yes @ regrets!!!

I'm now post op day 12; had unexpected hiatal hernia repair at time of VSG and pain was intense p.o. day 1-6....then started feeling super duper weak day 6-now; Protein shakes didn't help much with that

I reeeeeally miss normal solid foods--- the smells the textures the socialization around it ... I've had to decline 4 dinner party invites so far ... It's sad

Then I got badly dehydrated on day 11

I'm better now but it's really an unpredictable ride ...I'm losing weight but I also have little to no energy at this point

I know things will improve but it's been a challenge and psychologically not sure if anyone can fully prepare for the obstacles ahead especially the ones that occur within the first few months out with all the restrictions, temptations and low energy

I'm 8 months out and down 70 pounds. I went from a size 20 to a size 8. I thought I was going to die the first two days. Since then I have thanked God everyday for giving me this gift. It was a magic bullet. I would do it again and again! No regrets. Just keep the faith and don't give up. It will get easier and easier. The point of the surgery was to take away your craving for food and to reduce the amount of your food intake. I drank lots of Decaf ice tea with Splenda and GNC brand of Protein shakes. And, Water popsicles. I eat anything I want now. Just small portions. And, I'm still losing. You will be fine. Imagine walking into The Gap and pulling on a pair of button fly cords in a size 8 with room to spare. It's all worth it. I promise!

--- you make such valid points!! I know God brought me through this for a healthier future ... I'm tired of the yoyo lifestyle and I don't want this surgery to have been in vane

Jumping from 180 to 293 over 7 years is horrible

Then from 293 to 199 and back to 260 within 3 years is sad

I'm only 31 and all that up and down is very unhealthy

All the ridicule and looks and judgement each time I gain (mostly from obese folks too, nuts I know)

I'm sick and tired of that horrible trend and I believe the VSG tool will help me keep it off longterm

Don't panic - the first 6 weeks, in truth, suck quite a bit.

Once you get your head round it, it becomes much easier.

Hang on in there and if you feel something is 'wrong', be sure to get it checked ASAP.

Nirvana is just around the corner :)

I am 67 and 1 yr out. I feel so blessed that I was able to have this surgery at my age. I am down 92 lbs. I wore a 24 and 2X's before. Now I wear a L and 14 pants. Smaller than I have been since I was 23 yrs old. It has not been an easy year. I had a lot of diariaaha, some vomiting. My health has definitely inproved. Now I can eat anything I want but smaller portions. If I ate normal portions before I would not have gotten morbidly obese. Hang in there and follow the rules. Your attitude will change as the weight falls off.

Thanks. Everyone! I'm one week out of VSG surgery today. I am grieving over not eating and being able to eat. I planned the have the surgery before the holidays for a reason, I didn't want another binge feasting season. I feel happy underneath, but teary and sad on the surface. I appreciate the encouragement.

I have never regretted surgery for a single second. I did not make the decision to have surgery in a hurry; I did not take this decision lightly.I made sure I understood and knew exactly what I was getting myself into. I was prepared to no longer enjoy eating like I had in my presurgery life. I realized that ultimately I wanted exactly that. My over enjoyment of eating was what led me to the hell of obesity.

I have never regretted surgery for a single second. I did not make the decision to have surgery in a hurry; I did not take this decision lightly.I made sure I understood and knew exactly what I was getting myself into. I was prepared to no longer enjoy eating like I had in my presurgery life. I realized that ultimately I wanted exactly that. My over enjoyment of eating was what led me to the hell of obesity.

--- I think many of us have researched thoroughly ...I know of many who have debated doing it for several years before going through with it even but that doesn't guarantee that you won't have any regrets initially out ---- I don't think anyone can fully know how their experience will be post op ... It's a very emotionally and physically draining change with pros and cons