Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

People watching.

I am preop waiting for my ssdi to be approved (after years). I find myself looking at people and thinking "Come to Mexico with me". It happened again today. A fluffy lady walking into a nice place for lunch and I thought "Please go with me." I do not feel better than any one but I just think they would be so much happier. Does any one else share these sort of thought?

When I see an obese person who looks sad I really wish that they could do what I did. Some people just don't have enough information about surgery to really consider it, and some people don't have insurance coverage or money for it if they did know about it. Some people are scared. Some people may just be happy the way they are. But I do think there are a lot of people out there who could benefit from weight loss surgery if they had knowledge about it and a way to get it. It makes me sad that they don't. When people ask me how I am losing weight, I've been almost always telling them about surgery just to try to spread the word about it. Even if the person asking me doesn't need surgery, they might know someone who does.

I find myself looking in other people's grocery carts. I know I'm not better than then I'm only 5 weeks from being able to control myself, but I really think, "Don't eat that - it's killing you!" I'm also more aware when we go out to eat - I watch people eat now. It's an interesting case study, that's for sure!

So glad you posted! Yes, I people watch now. But in a different way. I'm 3 months out and really excited to have gone from a 26 (pre, pre-op diet) to a 16 today (headed to 14) but I'm dying to know what size I'll wear when I get to my goal. My goal says 150, but really it's to be in the normal BMI range (and to weigh less than my husband). I haven't been that low in so long, I don't remember what that looks like or if I'll be a 10 or a 6. I find myself eying the ladies with a great (but reasonably attainable) physique. I want to rush up and ask what size jeans they wear so that I can aim for that!

I find myself eying the ladies with a great (but reasonably attainable) physique. I want to rush up and ask what size jeans they wear so that I can aim for that!

@Planetheather, if you haven't, you may want to check out http://mybodygallery.com - you can see pictures that women upload of themselves, just search for your height and different weights. The pictures also include info about the sizes the woman wears. It's how I figured out my goal size (10).

I definitely notice people more now and so badly want to tell them about my surgery and how much happier I am but I don't do it for fear I will offend them. I was over weight my whole life and I am happy no one pushed me to get this surgery. I started the process 6-7 years ago to get gastic bypass but chickened out and I had to be ready at my own time.

I have always loved people watching. Now I have to be careful because if I am not can go all judgemental when I look at what others are eating or buying. I am not proud of this and I think it is a reflection of having to be so strict on myself to change my own habits and choices that I spot poor choices in others so quickly.

Of course I keep my mouth shut, and I try not to look, but it is really an eye opener into how easy it is to make really poor choices. Sometimes it is like looking at my old self.

I used to get a lot of encouragement and support from other obese and overweight people and they would want to ask a lot of questions about the surgery until I got smaller than them and now they don't mention it and neither do I. I figure that if they want to make the choice they will come and talk to me about it but until then I don't want to be the regular sized woman telling the big ones what to do. Funny how life changes.

I remember all too well what it was like having slim people make comments they thought were helpful (and indeed I am certain their intention was to be helpful) but I used to feel like shit as a consequence. I don't want to be that person.

Well, I'm told my case is Very Close. I know its been given to Judges office and Judge T "wants it off his desk" I just want to get on with my life. I feel stuck.

Yes I find myself thinking that. Especially when they are having a difficult time getting around. I think to myself you don't have to stay that way, there are options. I've even been tempted several times to private message friends and family on Facebook who are also overweight and tell them what I'm doing and if they want to hear about it I'll share my experience, but I don't want to be too forward. When a person is ready they're ready, I dont want to come off as a know it all or hurt their feelings.

Edited by jujubslim

Big time people watcher. What I am noticing the most is how much snacking people are doing at work, and bad snacking at that. I didn't realize how much candy and chocolate we were all consuming...I also didn't realize how many potlucks and lunches we have! I also am noticing how much food people are eating at one sitting, I know my portion is very small compared to what other people eat, but seriously some of these people had third and fourths at our last potluck. Some of these people are in shape and exercise regularly, but others are overweight and not looking for a lifestyle change. I am happy I'm in a better head space myself, but I feel for some of the people struggling, it's hard to be in that spot.

So glad you posted! Yes, I people watch now. But in a different way. I'm 3 months out and really excited to have gone from a 26 (pre, pre-op diet) to a 16 today (headed to 14) but I'm dying to know what size I'll wear when I get to my goal. My goal says 150, but really it's to be in the normal BMI range (and to weigh less than my husband). I haven't been that low in so long, I don't remember what that looks like or if I'll be a 10 or a 6. I find myself eying the ladies with a great (but reasonably attainable) physique. I want to rush up and ask what size jeans they wear so that I can aim for that!

I would really like to weigh less than my husband too!!

I want to save everyone! I'm so excited and I remember the hopelessness of pre surgery life. Resisting the urge. So glad its not just me!

I know exactly what you're talking about. I underestimated what this new little tummy could accomplish!!! I re-set my "goal" several times before I stopped! At 170 (my first goal) a size 12, I was happy as a clam, if I'd never lost another pound, I felt pretty darn good about myself.....BUT, it happened SO FAST. I knew then, I could get lower. My new goal was a single digit size, an 8!! That too happened pretty quickly. My doctor's goal was set at 150 at my three month check up. I ended up setting MY goal at 145, to give me a five pound 'pad'. I was 142.7 this morning, I've been maintaining between 143 - 146 for just over 3.5 years. Once in a while, I'll drop below 143 just a little but it doesn't last but a day or two.....if I get up to 147, I cut back calories a little. Anyway, at MY goal, reached in just under six months, I wear 4's and 6's, my tops are mediums. You'll be shocked at what you can achieve!!!! I've never been this small, I think I weighed this amount in 7th grade and thought I was fat!!! I was wearing junior clothes, which are different, I know I was wearing a 12. Body shape is different now I think!

I agree about body shape - the scale says one thing, but my clothes say something different. I think because we're losing fat, our sizes are going down more than the scale. I have kept certain clothes thru various stages in my life - I think always in the back of my mind saying "I'll fit into this again some day" I've tried on some things recently that actually fit better now at a higher weight than they fit me when I bought them.

I agree about body shape - the scale says one thing, but my clothes say something different. I think because we're losing fat, our sizes are going down more than the scale. I have kept certain clothes thru various stages in my life - I think always in the back of my mind saying "I'll fit into this again some day" I've tried on some things recently that actually fit better now at a higher weight than they fit me when I bought them.

I agree about the clothes saying what you look like. I used to adamantly work out and lift weights. I weighed 150 lbs in about a size 8. I look forward to simple things with my weight loss, walking longer than 10 minutes. I know we have to set a goal but I feel so much lighter now and I am only 8 days post. My weight fluctuated so much before surgery I couldn't decide what pants to wear. I wore any with elastic waists. I will have a steady size soon.