Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

One Year Today (Dec 19th)

Last year on this date I had Lapband surgery with plication and a hernia repaired. It was something I needed to do as I literally weighed double the amount that I was supposed to. I didn't have medical issues (high bp, etc) but I knew it was just a matter of time that my health was going to start to decline. I felt worse each day, so I decided surgery would be the best way to save me from myself.

And a few days after surgery, I did have a complete melt down of "WTF have I done", but looking bad I chalk that up to the pain and lack of sleep. But the pain did go away and I started getting some of the best sleep I had gotten in years. AND the weight started coming off. Once I dropped 30 lbs, I felt so much better. And now I'm down more than 100 lbs and I feel normal again.

I've counted calories every single day. MFP told me today I have logged in for 365 days! I won't say I've been on a diet, but I believe to be successful I needed to be aware of what I was eating. I did not know serving sizes and calorie amounts before. I exercise, but I am not good at being consistent doing it. But I don't stress over that or belittle myself. Why? Because this is my new way life and I wanted to be as realistic as possible. I was not going to get to goal in 3 months; I was not going to go to the gym everyday at 5 am; I was not going to only eat perfectly healthy. I'm me - perfectly imperfect. The surgery was not going to change that. But it has helped me be healthy. It's a tool that I use every day. And that I am thankful for.

So if you're just starting your journey, don't be hard on yourself. Be realistic. Give yourself time to succeed. Don't compare yourself to others. And remember to love yourself.

I wear size medium shirts and 14 pants. I'll prolly always be pear shaped, but that's ok as I like having curves. I still need to lose pounds, but I'm confident I'll get to goal. Besides my profile pic, this is the first time for me to share any photos. The one is a before and after. The summer before surgery and this past October. The other one is from just a few days ago.

Best of luck on your journey!

:-)

Tara

post-141606-0-58646800-1387473274_thumb.jpg

post-141606-0-72954100-1387473278_thumb.jpg

Thanks so much, I just start my journey a few weeks ago and this pictures are very helpfull , you look great so happy for you , I can't wait to see myself in a year!!

Thanks so much, I just start my journey a few weeks ago and this pictures are very helpfull , you look great so happy for you , I can't wait to see myself in a year!!

Just believe in yourself and the band. It does take time. And the main thing that the band has given me is time. No more countdown to an early departure from life. Just a long healthy life to come.

I really needed this today. I needed a good success story. Congratulations you look terrific.

You'll be successful too. A lot of people stop posting once they reach goal or a good spot. I know I post less now. But the success stories do exist. The band does work.

So cute! congrats and happy bandiversary!

Well done! Your transformation is a statement of dedication and consistent effort. You look (and sound) wonderfully happy!

You are fabulous! Let me say that again -- fabulous! What a great post. You have a wonderful attitude and this is such an inspiration for those of us just beginning. I can't wait to post a year from now...I want to be right there with you!

Happy Bandiversary!! I'm 6 months in and am feeling better already. I still have a ways to go but I feel like this is the best thing I have ever done. It's stories like yours that keep me pushing on. I'm so happy for you!!

Tara....Congrats to you! Your story is proof this thing really works! Best wishes for your continued success. :)

Thanks everyone. It really has been a good year for me.

:-)