Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My Healrhy New Me Journey began in January of 2012. I received in the mail a letter stating that all state employees could enter their name into a study that would compare long term weight loss resulting from bariatric surgery vs Liquid Protein diet coupled with counseling. Over 20,000 people registered for the study, and only 300 people would randomly be chosen (computer generated lottery) for each study. I figured that the odds were NOT in my favor. But having hit an all time rock bottom, I decided to give DIETING one more chance. Weighing now at 327 pounds, I figured I had nothing else to lose (pun intended). My name was NOT randomly selected, but I persevered and lost about 40 pounds last year. Little did I know at the time, but the study was renewed for 2013. In May, I received a call from the biomedical research facility that the computer randomly selected my name for the weight loss surgery aspect of the program......if I met certain qualifications. All pre-surgery screenings were done by the research facility. All of my medical info was passed on to a board of surgeons who selected the lap band surgery for me. Upon meeting my surgeon in August, he exclaimed, "I see here that you are a winner of the Golden Ticket." Yes, I am. Surgery and all follow up fill visits were FREE. I weighed 271 when I met my surgeon on August 15 and had my surgery on August 22. My last weigh in (3 weeks ago) was at 234.5 . I only weigh when I go in for a follow up every four to five weeks because I was becoming a scale junkie! Actually, I asked my husband to "hide" the scale and neither of us can now FIND it! I joined a health club in June, and I'm now consistently doing 60 minutes of cardio five or six times a week. I've been reading these forums daily since August, but could never post because I couldn't remember my password ! :/

Congrats on receiving :the golden ticket". You seem to be making the best of this chance to change your life for the better. Best wishes, and join in here whenever you feel you need support, or just to be supportive others! Karen..aka..kll724

Glad you found your password -- very funny about the scale! Congratulations on everything. You are doing beautifully!