Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Did anyone NOT lose their hair after surgery?

So I'm almost one month post-op and I'm sitting here reading all these posts about people losing their hair and it's making me pretty sad. After many years of bad nutrition, my own hair has just started growing back in healthier and thicker which is something I was thrilled about because I've had to deal with thin, sad hair for a long time. Now, to hear that I may be losing all my progress (on my hair, at least) is more than a little disappointing. I KNOW it's ultimately a small price to pay for my health, but my hair is still so thin that it's sounding like I might go bald. :( Did any of you wear wigs or extensions, or did it ever get that bad? Or does this ALWAYS happen to everyone? I would like some reassuring information, but I understand if I don't get it, haha.

I'm so scared of this too. I would love to hear from people about this topic. I have a lot of hair and don't want to lose it.

I wish I could tell you that I haven't lost any hair but unfortunately, I have and continue to do so. :( It started in month 3 and two months later, it still comes out in clumps. I think I am going to bite the bullet and chop it off into a nice shorter style.

I hope that it works out for you. My best advice is to make sure you are getting your Protein and fluids in each day. Biotin may help with regrowth but it certainly does not keep it from falling out.

I'm 5 mths post op (4 yrs post op with the lapband) and have never lost any hair with either surgery. Now, 6 yrs ago when my husband died (at 46), I lost 30 lbs rapidly (then proceeded to gain 80) and lost a bunch of hair. Had to have the plumber come out cuz I plugged up my pipes flushing it down the toilet (hint for those of u who flush. Plumbers are expensive).

With either surgery I didn't lose rapidly, which could be a contributing factor. I've also head it comes from lack of Protein and certain Vitamins.

I can't hurt to take a Biotin supplement and use a Biotin Shampoo (like Nioxx). U can get it at a hairdressers.

Good luck! Like I said, I've NEVER lost any hair from surgery.

At 6 months post is when I started to lose my hair. I thought I had it nailed as I was taking Biotin, Vitamins and getting all of my protein/water in. If you go back 2 years on this site, I'm sure you can find some snarky posts from me stating I had found the answer to avoiding Hair loss. Then, I started noticing hair on the shower floor. It continued until I had lost about 50% which was about 3 months time. Good news is, it all came back, and then some. I think the Biotin helped generate more hair all over my body as I have never been hairier as I am now.

So, I think there are people who can go through this process without losing their hair, but they are the exception. IMO, the hair loss occurs as a result of the rapid weight loss. Hormones are stored in your fat and when they are released in relatively large amounts due to rapid weight loss, your body reacts. If you were perhaps not so compliant with your post-operative guidelines and lost weight at a slow rate, I'm guessing you could get around the hair loss thing, too. But, I also believe you have an optimum window for weight loss, so once you get a little ways post-op, weight loss is going to be harder and you risk not reaching your goals.

From what I understand though, is it isn's so much about the hair loss, as we constantly are losing hair, but it is more the fact the next Hair growth cycle doesn't begin, and this is due to the higher hormone levels.

I am not a Dr, but this all kind of makes sense to me.

hair goes through phases, a growing phase, a resting phase, and a falling phase. After surgery, more hair enters the falling phase at once so we lose a lot of it suddenly. Weight loss, anesthesia, and very low calorie diets all contribute.

As someone who already had thin hair and had already cut it short, and who started losing it a month ago, it's pretty sad. I was looking into extensions but that hasn't worked due to logistics. I'm using root booster mousse which makes a huge difference and being patient. Lots of women do talk about extensions, cutting it short, and wigs.

This morning I kept trying to pat down some sticky outy hair and realized it was new hair! Yay!

Came in grey of course :P

I lost very little. Not enough to even matter.

I lost all of my hair during chemo, this was nothing like that. It just got a bit thin. Now at nearly 2 years out it appears to be thickening a little, my soft waves are coming back.

Maybe that Fabio look is still within reach. B)

Edited by gmanbat

I lost all of my hair during chemo, this was nothing like that. It just got a bit thin. Now at nearly 2 years out it appears to be thickening a little, my soft waves are coming back. Maybe that Fabio look is still within reach. B)

Love your new profile pic!

Hey, gmanbat, how did your diabetes resolve-all at the first or over time? I'm 2 mos out and still not in remission; sad and trying not to be discouraged.

I started loosing hair in clumps at about 4 months post sleeve. Now at 7 months my hair is thin but the loss is slowing (of course the weight loss also has slowed over the last 3 months so maybe there is a link to fast weight loss and hair loss) I do have a lot of new growth showing through so I am hopeful the loss is being replaced.

I think because I'm a slooow looser it wasn't bad at all. I did loose some, not much until my 8th month now it looks just the same. I also colored my hair and cut it the same as before surgery. I do have a very thick head of hair.< /em>

Im not at the falling out stage yet but as a hair stylist I have seen a lot of wls patients. I have never met one that didn't have significant Hair loss however I have only met a few where the regrowth wasn't fantastic and I think those were the people who didn't take very good care of themselves. I think it's really important to take all of your Vitamins and supplements every day and eat according to your plan. Eat enough good fat and stay really hydrated.

This worries me sooooo much... I have longggggg THICK wavy hair. I have been told that I have enough hair for 10 people. Even though I could use some Hair loss, I don't want too. My hair is my everything. I am sooo sad how some say they lost about 60% of their hair. I will gooooo crazy if that happens to me. I hate the fact that I can't do nothing about it :(