Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Reflections one week post-op

One week ago today, I was at work waiting to leave for my 11:30 surgery. I'd decided to go to the office because it was easier than sitting here waiting.... It's been an interesting one week journey, and I sit here drinking my oh so delicious Carnation Instant Breakfast. (That's sarcasm by the way.) Thought I'd share my observations, they are very random and sometimes TMI!

1. I have cabin fever. Yesterday I did a lot, but today is a blank agenda. I'd love to go out, but my street is like a skating rink. Fear of falling outweighs the cabin fever. Have this image of my gut splitting open while I'm laying on a cold bed of ice. Don't want to go there.

2. Speaking of my gut part 1. It looks like an evil rainbow. I have yellow, blue, purple, green splotches everywhere. No red or pink though! Have 2 hematomas, one where the drain was, and the other dead center under my belly button. Evil rainbow it is.

3. My gut part 2. I carry all my weight in my belly. Frankly I have great legs. My feet look skeletal. (Do you lose shoe sizes with wls?) Checking that out in a bit. Meanwhile, my belly is like a basketball on top and a swim ring on the bottom. Not pretty. I want this gone. Note to self-look up losing belly fat that doesn't involve a tv infomercial.

4. Mindful eating is a wonderful thing. I really need to focus when I eat. (Well, drink at this point). I forget to sip and take 2 gulps and I feel it. Boy do I feel it. No more glugging water!

5. If you told me a month ago I could survive without my morning coffee I would have told you it is impossible. Actually, I'm doing okay without it. Miss it though.

6. Speaking of eating and drinking, so far I haven't had to deal with the 30 minute rule yet, but I think it will be difficult to keep in mind.

7. I haven't logged on MFP cause I'm tired of seeing. "You're in starvation mode....." Cut me a break here okay. I decided after the one week lapse, I'd start again today. Give me strength to do this.

8. Mostly I'm pain free, but occasionally get these weird stomach pains. Can't describe them. Rolling, clutching. ouch? It's centered where my stomach was. Then I usually pass gas from one end or the other. Heading into TMI land.

9. Someone here has a list that states, "Never trust a fart." I can attest to it's validity. Nuff said.

10.I'm disappointed that my hunger isn't gone, but from reading these boards I realize that it will get much better once I can start some solids.

11. These boards are a life saver. They are amazing, and I am overwhelmed by the support, compassion, and occasional tough love I see on here. I value each and everyone of you that shares your story on here, and helps each other out. We are comrades on this battle to fight our obesity, and gain better health. I'm thrilled to have you at my back.

Now for a nap!

Love this! I have surgery on Wed., and it is helpful to read your reflections. Never trust a fart. Got it! :)

I'm having my surgery on the 18th and it's great to read your update and thoughts. I'll be checking back for answers to your questions and thoughts.

If you want to track your food on MFP but hate seeing that little red warning about being in starvation mode, just never click the complete button. That warning bugs me too. There ought to be a way to dismiss it so you only see it once. Hey MFP I am following the guidance of health care professionals who actually know me, not the instructions of a faceless computer server somewhere! STFU!

Nicely written - THANKS for my first laugh of the day!

Great post! You seem to have a great attitude about your situation. Never trust a fart? That's always been my watchword! Once burned, twice shy. . .

I'm one week out as well. I'm right where you are in all regards. I have lost 22 lbs since starting my preop diet two weeks ago, and look forward to advancing my diet. For me, if I didn't know I had to eat and drink, I NEVER would! I have no hunger and no appetite. That's good, but strange feeling! Yay to us... One week down! Cheers (two glasses with 1/2c Protein enhanced carnation instant breakfast)!!!!

In addition to "never trust a fart" might I add that if you feel like you have to go? Walk very quickly and take care of that. Do not wait and see. (Don't run. Uh, don't ask…)

Woke up from my nap! Thanks everyone for your comments. This is such a great community. I did leave out 2 thoughts before.

12. Totally unexpected, but my begging cat and dog are very very disappointed with me lately. They anticipate me sitting down to a meal, settle into their respective begging spots, and I can see their faces fall when it's a shake! Although the Kitty did try to sneak some of the vanilla before I caught her. Guess that is the first post sleeve relationship changes.

13. The Atkins diet was the only one that ever worked for me. It was almost 40 years ago. Guess all this Protein is good for me.

Ashleymidwife, I've been following your progress too. It's great you aren't hungry. I am amazed how quickly I fill up on my Carnation. I'm down 22 pounds since my preop diet too. Funny coincidence. Maybe that Carnation is worth it. It's certainly more tasty than the Protein crap I had to drink in 07 when I got my band. Mixing mine now with smart milk for that 2 extra grams of protein, and some ice. I only make a 1/2 packet now as that fills me up. Cheers!

Fluffnomore, I've been enjoying your posts and comments too. I actually went to the theater yesterday to see I Love Lucy live. Didn't want to waste the tickets, and Dr said I could if up to it. I was 3 seats in from the aisle and praying I didn't get the urge........ I was good though. And laughter did not hurt - at least not a lot.

Bufflehead, great tip, I'll try to not hit the complete my day button on MFP. It's like Pandora's box though........... But I'll try.

Teachamy and Teekay887, good luck on your upcoming surgeries, both on the 18th. I'll be sending positive vibes to you both that day, and please let us know when you've crossed to the losers bench.

Tadophile and Chefcoll, nice to meet you! Best wishes on this journey together.

Now, to make that shake.

LOL never trust a fart, I wish I would have read this yesterday (ewwww) but now I know. I am post op day 4.

Hi all-

Just had my surgery last week. Feeling ok, though I am feeling some of the strange pains that Idlewood described. Not full on pain, but my stomach is def feeling weird. I'm trying to drink all the shakes and broth, its hard! So hard. And um... ahem the earth is not moving for me. I've tried Miralax but it ain't happening. I'm starting to feel, shall we say, cranky.