Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Am I the only one that wants to eat this or that for the last time before surgery?

Please tell me I am being normal for wanting to eat a big steak dinner before I have my surgery or a DQ blizzard... In all honesty, how many out there had their last hurrah meals. I am just a curious george wanting to know! They told me to put blinders on but, come on, really???

I spent the last month before my lapband (4 yrs ago) eating food I thought I'd never get to eat again. Now 4 yrs later, lapband and sleeve revision (5 mths ago) I can honestly say: I can eat everything. I still enjoy the occasional burger (more like 1/3 of a burger from In and Out), taco from Del Taco, 3/4 of a pc of pizza, 1/2 sandwich, 1/4 of a Pasta entree at Olive Garden, 4-6 garlic fries from Red Robin, and even a little dessert once in a while. The only thing I find my tummy cannot tolerate is ice cream. 2 bites is my limit. Even 1 scoop gives me horrendous tummy cramps/diarrhea.

So, moral of the story: You WILL be able to eat ur favorite foods again. And in the meantime, new foods will become ur favorites (ie: Soup, Protein shakes, and sf jello!). Please don't be afraid that ur never gunna eat those foods again. U will eventually will. Or maybe u won't want to. Lots of people lose their taste for some foods. Lucky them...

Good luck!

I ate a steak, sauteed mushrooms, and asparagus with a couple of Cookies for dessert the night before my liquid diet started.

I went thru a lot of food funerals before I started my 2 week pre-op diet. I had Italian dinners. I made my homemade chili. I ate ice cream. You name it, I ate it.

Then it got old. It consumed me. I ended up starting my 2 week pre-op diet a day early because I was done eating this or that one last time.

With 4 weeks to go before surgery, I'd like to make a couple of suggestions...practice eating slowly (set your fork down between bites), chew your food (chew 20-25 times), and start incorporating a shake into your day. These are things that helped me with the pre-op diet and really help post-op.

From my perspective, you're normal or at least like me in some respects! :-)

Best of luck to you!

The one thing I had, the week before, was some gnocchi with carbonara sauce. It was prior to my liquid diet starting. The night before I was kind of feeling "meh" about the whole thing and couldn't get into the idea of a food funeral. I was just ready to start.

I am really struggling with food funerals and last meals right now. I know that it's only going to make things worse for me in the long run as that will put even more weight on me before my surgery. I'm trying to get things under control but I've been messing up big time. :(

I'm with McButterpants... I was trying to get in all my favorites for the couple weeks before starting my preop. I finally got sick of all the "last this, last that" and finally gave it up. Started my preop 2 days early just to de-stress from eating. I was also afraid I couldn't lose what I was supposed to, but turns out that's not an issue (down 11 pounds in 10 days, so I have another week to lose just 1 pound). Just use the next few weeks to really get mentally prepared.

Hey yall. Today was my preop visit for my 2 wk liq on monday. My doc said to me, "don't go off on what ive heard patients call their 'last supper' binging." He stated that I shud use this time, if I haven't alrdy, to prepare for the two weeks n then my lifetime. He said its not good to binge like that, not for the liver or the body, esp if u have comorbs. I said I wasn't planning on doing that but I was going to have Chinese food, once. And the more he talked about it the more I thot about doing it but like some of u stated, I'm kinda over it all bc of the thanksgiving food I had. I really am just rdy to start. So in a nutshell, its normal imho. What's not normal is how people can eat a last meal knowing they are going to be executed...death row. I'd b puking all night scared. Yeah, off topic, Ik, but just another of my random thots, squirrel! Lol. Gl all.

I remember making a list in my head of all the foods I would never eat again and going nuts eating them in large amounts. Fettuccine Alfredo,spegehtti with garlic yogurt mint and olive oil ,Chinese food ,sushi.... I ate a whole lot of pie,pizza,cake, ice cream . I stuffed my self! It was fun enjoy your food funeral :) You will be able to eat all the foods you love after surgery but not for a while and it will be in a much smaller amounts. Have fun and eat that steak! I just had some for dinner:)

I remember making a list in my head of all the foods I would never eat again and going nuts eating them in large amounts. Fettuccine Alfredo,spegehtti with garlic yogurt mint and olive oil ,Chinese food ,sushi.... I ate a whole lot of pie,pizza,cake, ice cream . I stuffed my self! It was fun enjoy your food funeral :) You will be able to eat all the foods you love after surgery but not for a while and it will be in a much smaller amounts. Have fun and eat that steak! I just had some for dinner:)

My surgery will be one year on 12-20-2013 :)

I am really struggling with food funerals and last meals right now. I know that it's only going to make things worse for me in the long run as that will put even more weight on me before my surgery. I'm trying to get things under control but I've been messing up big time. :(

Hang in there! just go through the emotions dont try to stop them they will pass and you will do great!

I'm with McButterpants too, for the most part. I had several food funeral meals, but for me it wasn't about quantity - I didn't stuff myself, but I didn't skimp either. I just wanted to enjoy this or that taste since I wouldn't have it again for a while. I didn't get tired of it, though. I spaced out those meals over a week or so before my pre-op diet started, and it worked out just great in that when it was time for the diet I'd had the tastes I wanted.

I did everything that the other posters did as well. I did cheat 4 days into my pre-op diet with pulled pork on a half bun, but that was it.

Our favorites will come back. Once I got my head around that I settled into a groove.

When I went to my pre-op classes the day before surgery and after 2 weeks of pre-op diet (2 shakes per day and one meal w/ 4-6 ounces of meat), the doctor said, "Go out and have dinner tonight. Have a good time and eat. The only restrictions are, no buffets and don't go crazy with red meat." My husband and I looked at each other quizzically, like he was joking. I said, "Are you sure? This is for real?" He laughed and said, "Eat what you want."

So, we went to macaroni Grill and had a wonderful dinner - we had two small appetizers, bread (which I had not had in 4 weeks), our Entrees and two Desserts. BUT, I didn't stuff myself. It was interesting...I took a few bites of each thing and I was completely satisfied. The only thing we finished was the goat cheese stuffed mini peppers. I thought I would gorge myself, but I didn't - that night really felt like the beginning of something really exciting!

Even though I'm only 4 weeks post-op, I can tell you - you will be able to eat some of your favorites again - I've already had pizza. But it's sleeve friendly pizza and it's awesome (take a carb control tortilla shell and pizza sauce, turkey pepperoni and low fat mozzarella and you have a thin crust pizza - even my son likes it). Last night we ate out at a Mexican place - I had the shredded chicken and cheese from the insides of a taco. It was wonderful.

You guys are going to do great on the pre-op diet - just keep your eye on the prize and keep working hard. It is so worth it.

Best of luck!

I went thru a lot of food funerals before I started my 2 week pre-op diet. I had Italian dinners. I made my homemade chili. I ate ice cream. You name it, I ate it. Then it got old. It consumed me. I ended up starting my 2 week pre-op diet a day early because I was done eating this or that one last time. With 4 weeks to go before surgery, I'd like to make a couple of suggestions...practice eating slowly (set your fork down between bites), chew your food (chew 20-25 times), and start incorporating a shake into your day. These are things that helped me with the pre-op diet and really help post-op. From my perspective, you're normal or at least like me in some respects! :-) Best of luck to you!

I love your term "food funeral"! That's so perfect! I am so guilty of having several food funerals before I start any program/diet! And man do I overdo it! Binging has always been my problem, seems I am always about to start this diet or that diet and so I'm always having food funerals, but I never actually start the diet, 100lbs later I wonder how I got here! Duh! I just got piton my options course through kaiser which is 12 weeks so I have about 4 months till surgery, plenty of funerals coming my way! Lol