Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Doc says no more fills

Went to see the doc yesterday and he put another cc in my band for a total of 12 in a 14cc band. He says that is it and it is up to me to eat properly and lose weight if the fill doesn't help. So this AM I am thinking I might be real tight now and I'm a little worried my meds won't go down since it has been less than 24 hours since my fill. Well, I worried for nothing as they slid right down. Geez if this doesn't get me in the green zone I guess I am SOL. I was in the zone once before but as I lost weight I fell back out of it.

It is only a tool, only a tool.............. (chanting)

Any of you vets never find, and stay, in the green zone?

I have been in the Green for 2 years now, at least, never wavering, no complications.......my last fill was 2 -1/2 years ago....

Have no idea what you are experiencing....but for my last fill it was difficult to keep or get anything down for at least 2 weeks...I called my Dr. and he suggested patience, the band is setting the rules, and I should try to Learn and understand what is happening and adjust myself, my eating, my foods, everything....to what the band is dictating.....in other words, I had to learn to "Listen to the Band", and obey!

Not all Dr.'s will say that I know...some will give an immediate un-fil, putting you back to where you were...

I'm glad I did....things DID settle down, I DID change just about everything...the foods I eat, the amount I can eat, how thorough I really needed to chew, and above all, don't try to force it...don't try to overeat...which to this day I cannot do....also, within all this adjusting on my part, I learned I was not really hungry in the first place...that while the band was limiting my food intake, I was becoming aware I did not want/need to eat in the first place....I don't miss eating less....I could walk in a room full of food and not even notice....

Finally everything began to fall into place.....NO Hunger, LIMITED portion sizes, UNABLE to eat certain (mostly unhealthy) foods......Green Zone.

I hear time after time people refer to the band as a "Tool"....I get it, and understand (I think) what they are trying to say....but for me and my mental process, the band is not a Tool...it is the "Boss" telling ME what I can and cannot do, telling me I am not hungry.....telling me to stop when it's time to stop......telling me what foods are hazardous...

To me, if it was truly a tool, then I would be in charge, I could set the rules, choose to use it or not, choose to turn it on or off...but I can't...it is there 24hrs, doing it's thing regardless if I'm at a party, on vacation, Thanksgiving or just sitting in front the TV...it's always there, it's always a constant....

If it were a tool. then the choices are up to me and change under various circumstances.....

Everyone has their comfort level....everyone has their "Happy" place where they find success with this WLS...and that is all that matters......everyone approaches this a little different....some people do not ever want a fill at all....if they're happy, we all should be happy.

I know I could not be happier....

Edited by B-52

I have been in the green zone for quite awhile. It doesn't mean that I still have no "head hunger". i do! I sometimes see something on TV, and say "Its been a long time since I had that". But, I really have no appetite for it! When you say you are not in the green zone, just what does that mean to you? Green zone should mean that you eat, and then are not hungry for 3-5 hours. It should not mean that you are not able to eat, but, that you are satisfied with a very small amount! Maybe, rethink your definition of green zone and restriction! Best wishes, Karen...aka..kll724

@B-52

You definitely have a place in this lap band world......

I surely wish ALL fillers felt the way your surgeon does!

You ever think about becoming a licensed filler??? If there's even such a license! I'd be your first patient and/or guinea pig... :D :D :D :D :D (no pun intended on the 'pig' analogy)

We need someone like you on our side. I like the way you think..you're definitely speaking my language....

I agree with you B-52. The band is a device and it sets the rules, it's not a tool that we can control or manipulate. It's the boss and if the band says something isn't going down, then it isn't and you can't force it even if you tried.

I've been in the green zone for about 3 months now, with no signs of loosening up. In fact, it seems my band may be getting tighter...which I don't understand.

Went to see the doc yesterday and he put another cc in my band for a total of 12 in a 14cc band. He says that is it and it is up to me to eat properly and lose weight if the fill doesn't help. So this AM I am thinking I might be real tight now and I'm a little worried my meds won't go down since it has been less than 24 hours since my fill. Well, I worried for nothing as they slid right down. Geez if this doesn't get me in the green zone I guess I am SOL. I was in the zone once before but as I lost weight I fell back out of it.

It is only a tool, only a tool.............. (chanting)

Any of you vets never find, and stay, in the green zone?

I don't understand why your doctor would say no more fills, when your band isn't even full. Every person requires different amounts of fill. Everyone's anatomy is different. Plus I've heard of some people finding the Green Zone and later as they lose weight, they lose their restriction as their anatomy changes their stomachs get smaller and so does the band, and then require an additional fill to get their restriction back. And I also know of a man here at bariatric pal that has the 14 cc band and he has 14 cc's in it. I'm only 4 months out and I had my second fill on November 8th and was at 7cc's in a 10 cc band, and I think I was at Green Zone, but I had to be unfilled 3 weeks later for surgery. Ten days out from surgery, my doctor put 6 cc's back into my band, and I will get another fill in a month. So time will truly tell if the 7cc's will keep me optimally restricted.

I agree with you B-52. The band is a device and it sets the rules, it's not a tool that we can control or manipulate. It's the boss and if the band says something isn't going down, then it isn't and you can't force it even if you tried.

I've been in the green zone for about 3 months now, with no signs of loosening up. In fact, it seems my band may be getting tighter...which I don't understand.

Thanks to hormones and salt intake, the band will probably fluccate in tightness, especially when you are in the green zone just due to regular swelling of your body! Lots of women have issues with tighthess during their periods or if they take in too much salt/sit all day. Just don't try to push it if you are tighter that day! The more you aggrivate it, the less you will be able to toelrate! (In a bad way! There was one time I was swollen and still tried to eat and I ended up so tight I couldn't keep down liquids and had to get an unfill)

I have been in the Green for 2 years now, at least, never wavering, no complications.......my last fill was 2 -1/2 years ago....

Have no idea what you are experiencing....but for my last fill it was difficult to keep or get anything down for at least 2 weeks...I called my Dr. and he suggested patience, the band is setting the rules, and I should try to Learn and understand what is happening and adjust myself, my eating, my foods, everything....to what the band is dictating.....in other words, I had to learn to "Listen to the Band", and obey!

Not all Dr.'s will say that I know...some will give an immediate un-fil, putting you back to where you were...

I'm glad I did....things DID settle down, I DID change just about everything...the foods I eat, the amount I can eat, how thorough I really needed to chew, and above all, don't try to force it...don't try to overeat...which to this day I cannot do....also, within all this adjusting on my part, I learned I was not really hungry in the first place...that while the band was limiting my food intake, I was becoming aware I did not want/need to eat in the first place....I don't miss eating less....I could walk in a room full of food and not even notice....

Finally everything began to fall into place.....NO Hunger, LIMITED portion sizes, UNABLE to eat certain (mostly unhealthy) foods......Green Zone.

I hear time after time people refer to the band as a "Tool"....I get it, and understand (I think) what they are trying to say....but for me and my mental process, the band is not a Tool...it is the "Boss" telling ME what I can and cannot do, telling me I am not hungry.....telling me to stop when it's time to stop......telling me what foods are hazardous...

To me, if it was truly a tool, then I would be in charge, I could set the rules, choose to use it or not, choose to turn it on or off...but I can't...it is there 24hrs, doing it's thing regardless if I'm at a party, on vacation, Thanksgiving or just sitting in front the TV...it's always there, it's always a constant....

If it were a tool. then the choices are up to me and change under various circumstances.....

Everyone has their comfort level....everyone has their "Happy" place where they find success with this WLS...and that is all that matters......everyone approaches this a little different....some people do not ever want a fill at all....if they're happy, we all should be happy.

I know I could not be happier....

Sounds like your band and your head are having a very symbiotic relationship :D I wish I could say that my band is the boss. But the reality is, my band is the boss when I allow it be the boss. I would venture to say that the plication is that secondary scream that gets my attention - LOL! Most of the time I abide by the band signals, but other times my compulsive NEED to eat takes over. Enter…..plication :rolleyes:

Edited by mrsto

I have a fill scheduled for tomorrow...and hoping this gets me into the greenzone this time. I don't understand why no more fills for you...I know 12 is close to the 14 capacity but it's not at capacity.

I worried also since I am 6.5 in a 10cc but i know it's not in the green zone yet. Close but not there just yet and I'm ready to go as far as it takes to get there. :)

@lisacaron

I'm 6.4 in a 10cc band as of today.

We (myself and my fillers) thought I was at 8.3cc's until just this morning in a Fluid check where it was all withdrawn and put back in, that told a different story. Only 6.4 was in my band.

So either there's a leak OR my prior fills were unsuccessful...

But when I got to 7.5 they began to decrease my fills..I was once getting 1.0 and 1.5 every visit. When I got to 7.5 I got only a .5 after that they decrease some more to .3 today I would have gotten .1

So as you get closer and closer to capacity, I find it's like pulling teeth w/them for a descent fill, well at least at True Results in Houston....

So even though we are willing to take it as far as we deem humanly possible to get ultimate consistent restriction, your fillers may not...

Its a sad sad policy that some of them carry...

The thing I need to know is what is the band not doing? Not curbing your hunger? Not controlling the amount of food you can eat? First let me say this. The band for some people never controls their hunger if that is what you are looking for. The band does not for the most part keep you from eating as much as you want because you can eat the same as you did preband but it might take you longer. You have to understand restriction and that I think is where a lot of people get misinformed. It is not about getting full its about being satisfied. Going 3 to 4 hours without being hungry. That is all the band is supposed to do. For those who have their bands tight so that they can't eat that is no way to live. Some how I think you have not learned to eat with your band. Its not about things going down and not getting stuck because if you are eating properly you will not get stuck. You should have a soft stop of some kind that tells you when to stop eating like a hiccup. Sometimes when you get a fill and you cant eat for a few days people want some taken out. I stay swollen for about three weeks and my doctor too told me to wait it out for a few weeks and I am glad I waited. I have not had a fill since Jan of 2011 and have only had two fills. I have 3cc's in a ten cc band. If you have that much in your band and you are not getting some kind of signal then you need to rethink your eating strategy. So many people get the band and do not know how to listen to it. They don't know when their soft stop is whether it be a pain in your shoulder, hiccups or some other signal that says hey it's me now your band telling you that I have had enough. I think a lot of people misconceive what restriction is. Could I sit down and eat as much as I wanted? Of course I can but do I? of course not. I would say to drink some Protein Drinks for a few days until your fill sets in. I think you need to start listening to your band and your body telling you its time to stop now. I guarantee if you do that you will be satisfied on a small amount of food for at least three hours without being hungry.

Thanks, Cheryl. that is what I was trying to say, too!

One other thing I might add is those of you who are newly banded stop being in such a hurry to get filled up because once you are full what happens then. Part of this is restraint. If you get your doctor to completely fill you and you are not even half way to goal then what because you have nothing left to work with. I think that some of you think and no I am not being nasty when I say this that the band will do it all for you but it only does about 10% and you will do the other 90. So why did I get this then because we needed help not a complete fix. If you wanted instant gratification then the sleeve or bypass would have been a better choice. The band is not about fast losing and if you do its great but most of us have had to earn our weight loss.

Because of restriction I cannot sit down and eat what I want.....I have tried, throwing caution to the wind and it is simply impossible....today I could not get through one single crab cake for dinner.....on top of that I have not been hungry all day, was not interested in eating so I skipped lunch also.......

So right now I am slowly sipping a "Protein Plus" coffee flavored drink...it was just one of those days...and it was not me, it was all band...tomorrow will be different I'm sure.

I was at the gym at 5;30 am today, ran my 5 miles and lifted weights, and I will be there again to do the same tomorrow morning....lack of energy has never been a problem with me.....

I know if I should get some Fluid taken out of my band = less restriction, then I know I would be able to eat considerably more...and it would take some discipline on my part to control it...more of a struggle...perhaps frustrating.

But I have no self control....I rather let the band do the controlling...that's why I had surgery...to do what I was unable to do on my own....

I know a lot of people say they are only satisfied 3-4 hours between meals....I personally think that has to do with how the band is adjusted.....

It was that way for me after my 2nd fill, satisfied between meals only.....but after my 3rd and final fill, I'm simply not interested in food...which is another way of saying I have no hunger....I can go all day without eating or even thinking about food....if I wanted to. And I have when I am pre occupied with doing something else. Completely forget...

So what may true for one person, does not mean it is true for everybody....that much I have learned just from reading all the different posts here over the years.....so I have learned never to tell other people what they should or should not do...only share my story....

And sorry, but in my case, the band does do 90% and I only have to do 10%...but that's me...not everybody.

Edited by B-52

@cheryl2586

What ur describing is ur "green zone" and how much of the work ur willing to put into dieting & how much u personally rely on the band to do it's part of the work.

Some one like B52 on the otherhand acknowledges & admits, like me, who lack the discipline to control portions, etc

Sounds like everyones entitled to their own specific personalized individualized "green zone"

If dieting was left solely up to me, I'd lose the weight, regain the weight, & it wldnt be much different than my pre-band life.

No 1 way is wrong, but each are specific to each of your needs.

And I like that about the band!!