Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I've Hit The Dreaded 3-Week Stall...ugh!

I’m in the dreaded three-week stall and it sucks. I knew this was coming. I knew it was going to happen. I thought I even prepared myself for it. I have preached to others that it’s not big deal. That it’s your body saying, “Whoa, what the hell did you do to me?” and, “Your body needs to figure it out before it loses more weight.” I know all that, but it doesn’t make it suck any less and it doesn’t make me any less pissed off. There, I said it. I’m pissed off. I said it again.

Rationally, it makes sense. My body is wondering if it’s a time of famine, so it’s not going to allow it’s self to lose any more weight until figures out that this is the new normal. This may take some time – I’m in a Facebook group where some people who had their sleeve operation in November stalled for three weeks. That’s a major blow to my already fragile psyche! After years of yo-yo dieting, when you don’t see the scale move, that when you find the donuts, or bread, or Cookies or (insert vise here). That is not an option. Eating a donut or other off-plan food will not only make me sick, even worse, it could damage my sleeve. It’s also not an option because I must be accountable for my actions. I need to be an adult. I will add that accountability and being an adult sucks, too! :-)

So, I am writing this post as much for me as for anyone that reads it. The three-week stall will most likely happen. Try to prepare yourself for it, but know that no matter how much you prepare for it, it’s still going to be difficult when you go through it.

What am I going to do about it? I’m going to keep on keepin’ on. That’s all I can do. I am going to stick to my plan – 3 meals and 3 shakes per day with 80-90 grams of protein; just as the doctor ordered. I’m going to continue going to the gym and walking on the treadmill. These are the two things that are going to help me achieve my goals. I cannot lose sight of that. I also know that this is temporary. My rational mind knows the arithmetic behind calories in vs. calories out. I’m consuming 600-800 calories a day right now and I’m burning about 250 on the treadmill daily. That formula will equal weight loss as soon as my body realizes we’re going to be OK. I just wish my body knows what my brain does!

Well done McB!

And no matter how much we know. It still hurts emotionally when we face the stall. At 6 months I went through a "stuck month" and it drove me crazy.

But it has passed and I take the next steps forward!

Thanks for this GREAT post!!!

thanks for this post. I sent you a pm the other day btw. I am at a stall as well, i have not lost anything since the fiirst week, i lost 13 pounds that week and now nothing. which is very discouraging. I keep panicking asking what am i doing wrong and thinking that my sleeve just isnt working. I have no problem getting fluids in as i am a very thirsty person. and i get about 60 grams of Protein a day. Hoping we both break through soon! keep me updated on your progress. maybe we could be buddies if you like since our stats are so similar and our surgery dates are only 2 days apart?

Nothing much prepares us. The best advice anyone ever gave me was put away the scale for 2 weeks and get on with living life. We don't want our weight to define us....yet we often let our losses (or lack thereof) dictate our happiness. Let's not do that anymore.

Nothing much prepares us. The best advice anyone ever gave me was put away the scale for 2 weeks and get on with living life. We don't want our weight to define us....yet we often let our losses (or lack thereof) dictate our happiness. Let's not do that anymore.

Butter, so true!!!!

My husband has been hiding the scale from me - I only get to weigh once per week (this was after an incident when I "only" lost .5 pounds right after surgery...yeah, another story for another day).

I might take your advice on putting it away for a couple of weeks.

As always, thanks for your insight.

i just responded to your pm hoping this one goes through

Butter, so true!!!!

My husband has been hiding the scale from me - I only get to weigh once per week (this was after an incident when I "only" lost .5 pounds right after surgery...yeah, another story for another day).

I might take your advice on putting it away for a couple of weeks.

As always, thanks for your insight.

Being 6 weeks out, I've had two different weeks where I essentially floated all around the same scale number. What is nice now that I have more data is that I can look at my chart (I weigh daily) and see the pattern of loss, hold for a while (with occasional ticks upward), loss, etc.

I couldn't see it at 3 weeks. All I could see was swoop downward, stall.

I like weighing daily. I look at the number, plug it in and then forget it. I mean, I know generally, but for example my husband asked today and I had to look it up to tell him. If you tend to obsess, then once a week is probably better. But you will see a good pattern after a few more weeks. While I was away last week I couldn't weigh at all and it was a pleasant surprise to get back and have a little loss.

I like your attitude! I've tried to adopt it myself. Onward and upward. Or downward, rather.

Beautifully said!

Being 6 weeks out, I've had two different weeks where I essentially floated all around the same scale number. What is nice now that I have more data is that I can look at my chart (I weigh daily) and see the pattern of loss, hold for a while (with occasional ticks upward), loss, etc.

I couldn't see it at 3 weeks. All I could see was swoop downward, stall.

I like weighing daily. I look at the number, plug it in and then forget it. I mean, I know generally, but for example my husband asked today and I had to look it up to tell him. If you tend to obsess, then once a week is probably better. But you will see a good pattern after a few more weeks. While I was away last week I couldn't weigh at all and it was a pleasant surprise to get back and have a little loss.

I like your attitude! I've tried to adopt it myself. Onward and upward. Or downward, rather.

Hey, Fluff.

I hope your trip went well, I remember you posting about it!

Yeah, weighing every day for me, just doesn't work. The scale and I have a love/hate relationship. Not weighing the past week we freeing for me, even though when I got on yesterday and didn't see the change I wanted. I need to take my measurements again - I think that will show a big difference. As I speak, my yoga pants are drooping a little (I won't be able to wear them to the gym because they'd fall off - not something no one wants to witness!!!).

Thanks for your thoughts. I appreciate it.

I'm so glad I found your post!! I'm 4 weeks postop today. Lost 12 lbs in the first week but then only ONE in the last 3 weeks! I need this to end!!

I'm so glad I found your post!! I'm 4 weeks postop today. Lost 12 lbs in the first week but then only ONE in the last 3 weeks! I need this to end!!

Yeah, it's frustrating, but it is what it is. I'm trying not to stress about it.

I've read enough posts on this forum to know it's temporary and it's going to be no different for you or for me. We just have to hang in there.

Best of luck to you - we're about a week apart. We're just at the beginning of this journey!!!!! :-)

Take good care.

Yeah, it's frustrating, but it is what it is. I'm trying not to stress about it. I've read enough posts on this forum to know it's temporary and it's going to be no different for you or for me. We just have to hang in there. Best of luck to you - we're about a week apart. We're just at the beginning of this journey!!!!! :-) Take good care.

Thank you!! I know you're right!! Must stay focused and looking ahead! :)

OH boy, you guys are making me nervous!

I have avoided my own scale for quite some time now and have only been weighed in the doctor's offices throughout my screening process.

After so many years of living and dying by the scale number I HAD to cut the cord.

Just the idea of getting on THAT THING again on a routine basis is repulsive.

Maybe I better read ANOTHER book on how to deal with THAT!! lololol

(surgery date: Dec 19)

Edited by Lilrosie

OH boy, you guys are making me nervous!

I have avoided my own scale for quite some time now and have only been weighed in the doctor's offices throughout my screening process.

After so many years of living and dying by the scale number I HAD to cut the cord.

Just the idea of getting on THAT THING again on a routine basis is repulsive.

Maybe I better read ANOTHER book on how to deal with THAT!! lololol

(surgery date: Dec 19)

I relinquished control of the scale to my husband a couple of weeks ago. I was weighing myself daily (in all honesty, sometimes more than once per day). This was shortly after surgery and I was losing a lot very quickly. Then one day I was "only" down .5 pounds and I panicked. Looking back, it's silly, but the emotion was very real. I thought about that stupid 1/2 pound all day. I blogged about it. I calculated my weight since surgery, my weight since the beginning, etc. I really wondered what was wrong with me. When my husband told me he was taking the scale, I freaked at first, then I realized how freeing it was. He brings the scale out once per week on Thursdays. I'm considering what Butter suggests above and waiting two weeks before I weigh again.

At the end of the day what can I really do about it? I'm going to eat to the plan my doctor prescribes and I am going to exercise - those are the things I can control. I can't control the scale or my body's reaction to what's going on.

My suggestion to you is, if you stress about the scale and every little up and down, don't weigh every day. Do what's right for you and your sanity!!!!

Good luck - don't be scared. Just be as prepared as you can be! :-)