Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Help! My Hair Is Falling Out!

Was banded in July 2013 and my hair is falling out! I'm so upset! It is noticeable and doctor just said it was the shock to my body from the surgery!

Had anyone else gone through this and did it grow back?

Yes, it happens to some of us. Try to be gentle with it, brush and go if you can. Do all the things you have been told to do. Stressing out just makes things worse and possibly stressing your hair. It will come back. It happens to me every time i go through a stressful period of time, my whole life. Hair today...gone tomorrow!

One of the things that I have talked about with my doctor ... and I'm sure there are many opinions out there, but the biggest thing my doc said was not taking in enough Protein can cause hair loss. Not to mention the shock alone of your body not having all those carb-heavy, sugar filled, bad choices we have all made prior to our decision to have WLS. Your body is adjusting to its new lifestyle. Pump up on your Protein, make sure you are taking a multi Vitamin, and yes, go easy on the brushing. Oh, and a Vitamin D deficiency can cause Hair loss also. I wish you all the best!

I agree, up your Protein intake. I also took Biotin tablets and used Nioxin Shampoo and conditioner. My hair got pretty thin but it all came back, and I put it through the ringer! I like to change it up all the time color and cut and all that.

So give it a break for a bit if you’re like me, I stopped making changes for a few months and just nurtured my hair. The Nioxin shampoo can be a bit pricey but to me it was totally worth it.

I also purchased some Protein Shots to take when I was newly banded so that it was easy to get them down and into my system without messing with my meals.

Sometimes you can get a bit gassy from soy Proteins that are in bars, shakes, or shots. If you find that you are feeling that way you can take some lactaid to help and trust me it does. The whey in Protein is derived from milk and causes the digestive issues.

Best of luck I'm sure your locks will come back soon with a bit of TLC.

In my experience Protein Shots are high Protein Drinks designed primarily for weight lifters to down immediately after a hard work out so you find them in the Heath and nutrition section of most pharmacies. I used them right after my surgery and I think they definitely helped my recovery but they did taste vile no matter how quickly you drank them so I weened myself off them as I was able to get more Protein from real food in my diet.

Fred is correct. You can find them at Walmart, and I am not a big fan of anything nasty tasting, but these were not so bad for me.

I don't use them much these days but they are very good for helping to up the Protein when you need it without the extra calories.

I used the one by body fortress in cherry flavor if that helps you can also mix it with Water if you want to cut the taste and drag it out..but I found knocking one shot back was less gross :)

It happens and then it grows back. The other posters are correct about Protein and it is important to keep your intake up. That said, I would avoid those Protein Shots and go for cleaner protein options. As I understand it the protein shots are made largely from protein that is not easily digested into the human body and therefore you are not getting the nutritional benefit you imagine you are.

I'm so glad I found this app! You guys are awesome and made me feel so much better!!!

mine thinned a wee bit about 3 months post op

dr said to keep my Protein up.....and its fine now....i also have thin/fine hair so i was scared... :wacko:

(i do not take biotin...i just do protein to help w/this and that also keeps me full longer between meals)

It happens and then it grows back. The other posters are correct about Protein and it is important to keep your intake up. That said, I would avoid those Protein Shots and go for cleaner protein options. As I understand it the protein shots are made largely from protein that is not easily digested into the human body and therefore you are not getting the nutritional benefit you imagine you are.

Whey protein is basically the same protein you get from cheese (cottage cheese more specifically) so it's relatively "natural" (other than all the preservatives of course).

Whey Protein is basically the same Protein you get from cheese (cottage cheese more specifically) so it's relatively "natural" (other than all the preservatives of course).

I understand that the Body fortress Protein Shots referenced above contain considerably more collagenic protein isolates than whey protein isolates. Collagenic protein isolates are sourced from things like ground up cow hooves and, while possibly good for skin and joint health, are not the best source of protein from a nutritional perspective.

Basically, collagen, while a protein, does not have the necessary amino acids to enable your body to absorb even that protein. When it comes to protein, we need to look for sources that rate highly in bioavailablity.

I am not aware of any shots or bullet type products that provide this, perhaps you could refer us to a protein shot that is more whey than collagenic?

The ones I found at Walmart were specifically Whey Protein Shots I cannot remember the manufacturer currently but they did say whey protien. I would still advocate getting Protein from "real" food whenever possible but post surgery the whey protein shots can help. I would also suggest looking for whey protein if you look into getting Protein Bars.< /p>

I don't know how your hair is cut, but I think that sometimes getting a new style and cut/trim g\helps you at least feel better about it, too! Karen

Whoa... I already have thin hair so I hope I do not go through this. making sure you get enough Protein is most important right? because I know they are big on eating the protein part of the meal first in case you get full and tracking how much you get, replacing the rest with shakes and such.