Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I've Gained Weight 3 Weeks Out?

I've heard of not losing weight after 3 weeks, but gaining?! I'm up 2 pounds overnight! I haven't lost since before Thanksgiving.

I am eating more than I was right after surgery, but the food I eat in a day now is a lot less than the food I ate in one meal pre-op.

I'm not really exercising like I should, I admit, but I am taking steps to be more active, like parking further from the entrance to stores, taking the stairs (not hard, I'm scared of elevators haha), and I usually take a walk around campus between classes. I only go to school twice a week though.

It's very depressing, really. I mean, I wake up everyday feeling like I'm going to pass out, I'm weak and get tired easily, and for what?! Weight gain?! UGHH

I'm not losing inches either. I'm still in the same pants I wore 30 pounds ago.

There's a link in my sig about stalls. It explains what's happening. Your gain is not real common but it's also nothing to be alarmed about. It's purely Water. You know it's not fat. It can't be. It takes the body time to kick into a real fat burning state. It's more complicated than just not eating and expecting the body to burn away the calories. It's a delayed action. Be patient. Keep walking as much as possible. Find a way to walk on your non school days. How high is your water intake and how many carbs are you eating? Too little water or too many carbs can make delay your losses at this point.

This happened to me early on. I was steadily loosing weight in the first month then one morning I got on the scale and was up like 4 pounds. There was no reason for the gain that I could see. I hadn't binged the day before or had something with a lot of sodium the day before. I just shook my head in disbelief and put it out of my mind. I waited about a week and was back to a steady weight loss. I think what was happening was my body was adjusting to the rapid loss (like 25 pounds in the first month) it was in shock and was trying to desperately hold on to whatever it could. My point is try not to weigh yourself everyday if you feel its going to effect your mind-set too much. Try only 1 or 2x per week and look at overall weight loss not day to day since so many other factors can effect the scale on a day by day basis.

Just keep following your doctors advice about eating. Also, you don't have to run a marathon or buy a gym membership but I remember early on just walking around my living room for a few minutes during every commercial break while watching tv at night. Try to get yourself moving. Not only for burning calories but it well make you feel better about yourself.

Like the Bean says, it's Water and that fluctuates during your cycle and with what you eat. Surprisingly drink more Water to get rid of water (and fat).

No worries, just stay on the plan!

I agree with Butter - he is always spot on.

I just posted about my 3-week stall dilemma - I was sleeved the day after you, so I'm going thru it as well. While I haven't gained, I'm stalled and that's a tough pill to swallow.

Are you tracking what you're eating - Protein, carbs and fat? I use my fitbit app and it really helped when I introduced puree foods into my diet. Though my plan allowed for oatmeal, 1/4 cup contains 13 carbs. Carbs aren't necessarily evil, but you need to look at them as a whole for the day. I also was eating fat-free refried Beans which are also on my plan, but carb-heavy. I was eating them because they were easy on my stomach. I have since put down the Beans and have opted for turkey or chicken which my stomach can handle easily now.

Making sure you're getting enough Water is important as Butter stated above. It's tough, I know, but you need to sip all day. I realized last night when I woke up and it felt like someone put glue in my mouth, that I'm not getting in enough. I have my bottle sitting right next to my computer as a constant reminder.

And finally, walking or moving your body. See if you can take little walks thru the day on your non-school days. You'll find that you will be able to add a little each walk very easily. Moving your body is not only for exercise, but will help your body recover. You're still recovering from major surgery!

Lastly, don't get down on yourself. Hang in there. This will pass - it sucks now, but it will pass. I think most of us worry that we're going to be the one person that this surgery won't work...But, if you put in the effort and do what you're supposed to do, your body will do what it's supposed to do. Your body is just trying to figure out what you did to it and why there isn't copious amounts of calories like there was a month ago. It will figure it out - sometimes not on the same timeframe that your brain wants it to.

Be good to yourself and hang in there! Sending much love and support your way.

I agree with the above advise. I had my surgery on Sept 27th and my weight has been up and down. I know if I eat more Protein and less carbs I loose more. You should eat protein and veggies and a little carbs...they will make you gain weight. Right after surgery when I went to full liquids I couldn't tolerate much and ate a lot of carbs....it showed but that's all I could get down. My weight was the same or I gained. But if I eat more protein I loose weight. Also, If your not eating very much your body goes into starvation mode....I think that's where I have been too because I'm not getting many calories in.....

Just do your best...follow the advise of other's, your Dr. and your body will catch up.

This is a major change and it takes time....it is a little discouraging at times, but in the end, it will be well worth it.

Hang in there....Blessings.

Kathy