Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Driving Right After Surgery?

Alright folks, I need some advice here. I am in sales and drive all day long. I've seen people comment on taking 4-6 weeks off of work after getting sleeved... I may be very optimistic, however I think that seems like a craaaazzzyy long time to be taking off of work! Trying to get an idea from some people who maybe took more like 2 weeks off OR LESS and hear what struggles I'm maybe overlooking. Anyone out there that was in this situation? Was driving painful? Getting in and out of the car? Give me the skinny on driving after surgery! **A little bit of pun intended. ;) **

I was back at work within 2 weeks and was driving to work. I do work close to home so was not driving more than 10 to 15 min but my job has me sitting all day. I know others that were out of work for a month but I did well. :rolleyes: I wish you the same.

Thank you! I'm getting sleeved on the 17th (a Tuesday) and am taking the rest of that week off... That would give me 7 days and then I was going to attempt to stay close to home and work Monday. If I can get in that one day of work, I would be off work from the 24th-1st since my company shuts down that week. Anyone think working for a day after only one week of surgery is just way too much? I'm glad to see you were back to work within 2 weeks!!

Everyone is different, but I'll tell you how my recovery was...I was sleeved three weeks ago tomorrow.

I had the surgery on Thursday and worked 1/2 days the following week. I telecommute, so I have it easy - didn't have to get up and shower or drive anywhere. Nonetheless, 1/2 days were plenty for me the week after surgery. The following week I went full days and was tired by the end of the day. I took multiple breaks during the day for walks, and I'll be honest...a nap every once in a while. I didn't drive the week after surgery (I honestly can't remember what the doc said about driving). Riding in the car was uncomfortable when we hit bumps - the seatbelt didn't hit my incisions at all, but the car shaking did.

For me - an outside sales job would have been hard to do the week after surgery. The week after that would probably be doable. I would caution you to not push yourself too hard - you need to recovery. This is a major surgery. I would have days that I felt really good and would over do it and then I was no good the next day. Pace yourself.

Best of luck to you.

@Mcbutterpants- THANK YOU for sharing your story!!! Okay, I feel much better knowing that not everybody took such long periods of time off of work! Worst case scenario, I'll just work a half day that Monday, then I would have another full week off to give me a solid two weeks before I start back up to full days out in the field. The good thing is that since I'm by myself in the car, I can take breaks, cat nap, etc... if it gets to be too exhausting!

I wasn't allowed to drive as long as I was on pain meds (3-4 days), and then was told I had to drive with a pillow under my seatbelt for the first week or so. It protected my stomach from the steering wheel & seatbelt rubbing. The discomfort of getting in & out will depend on what kind of a car you have...I wouldn't have wanted to ride in anything too low. You don't realize how much you use your ab muscles until it hurts to do so, and driving or riding in a car was pretty uncomfortable for me for about 2 full weeks.

I started driving after 2wks. Dr said if I could stomp my feet and turn from side to side without it hurting I could drive. I went back to work after 3 wks

I drove on day 8 & that was the worst thing I could of done. So uncomfortable. I truly wanted to recline my chair all the way back & pray that God took the wheel. I was wearing loose fit yoga pants, but the pressure from the roll in my stomach right above & under the large incision was so painful. I had to pull over after 15 minutes to get out & stretch to relieve the pressure. If you can hold off, please do. Even at 3 weeks there was still discomfort.

I'm a stylist and went back to work after two weeks. I didn't realize it until after day two but I could have used another week. I was cleared for driving at ten days but I was nervous and uncomfortable. Getting in and out of the car was uncomfortable. The night after my second day back to work was the worst night I'd had in the entire process. Please be careful. .. is working that one day really going to make a huge difference in the grand scheme of things? If not you may want to rethink your decision. Good luck

I drove myself home from surgery. You just need to make sure you're off any pain medication for 12-24 hours (the good stuff, not like Tylenol) and you shouldn't have a problem driving. I brought a pillow with me and I didn't end up using it. I was working from my hospital bed the second day after surgery, working from home the entire week I took off, and then back at work a week afterward. It was fairly miserable, but if you don't have the luxury of taking off for extended periods of time, you can physically work in a non-physically demanding job (like at a computer) fairly quickly after surgery.

Alright folks, I need some advice here. I am in sales and drive all day long. I've seen people comment on taking 4-6 weeks off of work after getting sleeved... I may be very optimistic, however I think that seems like a craaaazzzyy long time to be taking off of work! Trying to get an idea from some people who maybe took more like 2 weeks off OR LESS and hear what struggles I'm maybe overlooking. Anyone out there that was in this situation? Was driving painful? Getting in and out of the car? Give me the skinny on driving after surgery! **A little bit of pun intended. ;) **

I was sleeved on 11/29/13 and I was driving the next day. Everyone recovers at their own pace. You know what's best for you. I'm only taking 2 weeks off work.

I drove the day after I got home from the hospital. Also worked (from home and the hospital) pretty immediately. Take it slow and listen to your body.

I drove 2 days after surgery, was off pain meds before I left the hospital so I didnt have any reservastions about meds impairing my motor skills. I figured as soon as I could move around easily, driving woundn't be an issue. Like everyone else has already said, you will recover at a different rate. Go by what your body is saying, you should be able to tell what you can handle. I took 8 days off of work.

I drove myself home from the hospital, 3 days post op. I went to work at 2 weeks post op. I had no complications or problems (a really easy recovery--which not everybody has). The danger of your long driving hours is that time you spend sitting behind the wheel increases your risk for blood clots. While you may feel very well, the risk of clots persists for months after surgery. So when you go back to work, be sure to take a walk and stretch break every hour that you are sitting.

I'm not taking any time off of work due to being a new hire and I.have a 6 month probation period and I do not have the luxury of taking the needed time. My doc office wrote a note for me to work 3rd.shift instead of my regular 2nd shift. I work at a juvenile detention center so I pretty much sit on my butt all day pushing buttons from a console. On 3rd shift, every one is sleeping so I don't have to do much of nothing.