Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Immune….nope Not Me!

I have never had a great immune system. I am always susceptible to the ills of those around me. They cough, sneeze and are better, and me I'm sick for a month! No joke. It seems that no matter what I do I cannot keep myself healthy enough to accomplish the things I strive toward.

Since I have had surgery this is the 4th time I have had a horrible upper respiratory infection and bronchitis. It wears me down, exhausts me and if I even think of over exerting myself to go to the gym once I can breathe even a little better, it comes right back again with a vengeance or the next new BUG that’s going around grabs on for the ride and I'm twice as sick.

I’ve been taking my multi, I take extra Vitamin C, Zinc, B12….what else can I do??

Anyone out there having or had a similar issues??? I’m ready to listen, and put some suggestions into action!!!

I am trying to be healthy and sometimes I feel nothing but defeated by the green blob of sickness!!! There has to be a way to help boost the immune system so that I'm not so run down and sick all the time.

Those that know me, they know I'm on the go 24/7 I have that high stress high output life style, I have been working on my stress levels and even taking the time to meditate :) Getting in my Zzzzz when I'm sick I can't help but get them in. I've been down for the count for three days! Back to work today, but ready to hang it up tonight and crash again!

Any ideas....? Throw em out there friends!!!!

post-146347-0-47889700-1386014439_thumb.jpg

If I were in your shoes, I'd have your doctor run more tests to make sure you don't have some weird viral or bacterial strain. I'd also have them make sure you don't have walking pneumonia.

Also, are you sure you don't have asthma?

Do you smoke? Are you around smokers?

Have you ever had a sleep study?

Just because you're sleeping doesn't always mean you're getting rest. The most common issue among heavier people is obstructive sleep apnea but there are numerous other possible problems as well which would only be identified by professional observation.

Lack of quality sleep will both make you experience fatigue and lower your immune system. (It also slows metabolic function).

I sound like you, someone with an upper respiratory looks my way, and I've got it! I do have asthma. I do almost everything I can think of, but the one thing that was a game changer for me, was getting the pneumonia vaccine . It eliminated my catching the green goo as you call it (lol) for the first four years. This year, I have had two bouts with it, so, maybe it's wearing off. Who knows. Maybe there are more people out there giving it away....

Hmm...I am going to have to check into that vaccine for pneumonia. I get a flu vaccine every year, but I think your right there are lots of people giving it away this year. If only I knew where to return it I'd be there yesterday!

I have asthma, COPD diagnosis. I'm not around anyone that smokes but even some perfumes and other aerosols can trigger an attack. The winter is the worst for me when it comes to asthma for some reason the cold blast of air constricts my bronchial and that also can trigger an attack.

I’ve had all my work ups, and my absorption of nutrients and Vitamins is all on point. I know having COPD I am prone to getting a bronchial infection. I really do try to steer clear of sick people, but living in a bubble is impossible. I get really upset at the people in this office that come to work hacking up a lung and don’t even go to the Dr. They make it worse for someone like me, and doing things like traveling which is great, also takes a toll.

sleep study was all clear. I'm getting the sleep, no apnea. Though sometimes stress can keep me more awake then sleeping soundly at night. I have 5 kids...... the older ones (18 and up) can be worse than dealing with a newborn!

I was just curious if anyone had any ideas to boost the immune system a bit. I hear all kind of things like garlic, Echinacea then I hear it’s bogus, I was wondering if using whole foods and juicing them might help…. my body needs a little help to heal and recover after this round of infection. I’m out of vacation time, or I’d beg the hubby to take me to Hawaii and see if that is covered under health care reform. “wink”.

All I can say for myself, I had more medical issues to list here right now.....My PCP stated if I drop at least 60-70 lbs, it would all go away!!!

100 lbs later, he was RIGHT!!!

I am now a health nut....you would not believe how many pills I take every morning in the way of Vitamins, Omegas, and other supplements.....I don't eat meat anymore.....nothing processed like flour, sugar, etc....

I'm soon to be 62....and I feel GREAT!!! Like I was 20-30 years younger....ALL because I lost weight!! And it is all Band Related....

Sorry you are feeling badly my friend...and you are not on the go 24/7...try 26/10...lol ;)

Hope you feel better soon...I have no words of wisdom..just lots of hugs coming your way! :wub:

Sorry you are feeling badly my friend...and you are not on the go 24/7...try 26/10...lol ;)

Hope you feel better soon...I have no words of wisdom..just lots of hugs coming your way! :wub:

Awe...thanks lovie!! Your a great friend!!!

I know this sounds silly but most people don't think of it, change out your toothbrush with a new to insure that you are keeping those germs around.

Thanks Fee you make an excellent point!

Hope you feel better soon and get to the bottom of this. Lyme and co-infections did a number on my immune system a couple of years ago but I'm healthy now and very grateful for that. During that year and a half I got everything that came along. It's good you are noticing what's going on -- get tests run to see if something is up.

I'm a big believer in whole foods and lots of garlic, ginger, etc. We eat healthy veggies and buy organic as much as possible. Very concerned about chemicals in prepared foods, etc. And I don't eat or drink out of plastic. Plus I take an array of supplements. So I'm definitely on that health food nut side of things -- have to be.

Exercising has really helped boost my immune system tremendously -- even though at first I was just exhausted. Could barely get out of bed, coping with fevers and extreme fatigue, joint pain, etc. Watch out for things like caffeine and sugar, and adrenal fatigue. Are you having plenty of Water and do you use humidifiers -- all clean filters, etc.? Just throwing stuff out there. Take good care of yourself -- your body is asking for rest and it's going to get it one way or another.