Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

No Weight Loss And Depression

Hi all, I was banded in June 13, after my surgery in the first few weeks I lost around 2stone but since then nothing! In august time I was prescribed aunti depressants as I got so low that I physically couldn't be around anyone other than my close family. If I was around anyone other than basically my partner and about 4 other people I found myself self harming but not being aware I was doing so. I'm now still on the tablets but finding I can now start to leave the house without the worry or stress I have been getting but still feel slight anxiety. I'm now 8mls in my 10ml band but I don't feel as though it's working for me or maybe I'm not working for it? I have trouble eating.- I feel like I have good days or bad days.. I can eat one thing fine one day and the next there's just no chance. I have had food stuck a few times and iv had to make myself sick to bring it up, which I know it can't be healthy for me to be doing that so I find it easier to go with softer foods. I haven't eaten meat since my surgery as I'm scared of getting stuck and the pain I get with it. Has anyone had problems like this? Has anyone had to fight depression along side eating problems? All advise would great x

If I were you, I'd make appointments with both your surgeon and your nutritionist. With you surgeon, tell him how you haven't eaten meat and are resorting to soft foods. I'm no doctor, but it sounds like you actually might be a little tight and are resorting to "soft calorie syndrome". Contrary to popular belief, tighter isn't always better with the band, in fact it can lead to weight gain and complications. Here's a great article about it: http://www.bariatricpal.com/topic/161269-tighter-isnt-always-better/

With your nutritionist, let them help you establish both a eating routine and calorie guidelines specific to you and your nutritional needs.

Best wishes.

First of all let me say I am sorry for your depression because it is an awful thing. I think 1 your are too tight because you are getting stuck frequently and you are not eating meat. 2 if you don't eat enough Protein you are not going to lose weight. 3 I think everyone has that fear of eating meat in case you get stuck but you have to get past that. I think you really need to evaluate your eating of only soft foods because you keep getting stuck and get an unfill so that you can get in some good nutritious food. If you don't start eating what is recommended you are not going to lose weight. Maybe you not losing weight has added to your anxiety. Please call your doctor and talk to him about your issues and if you have a nutritionist consult with them also. You deserve to be healthy with your band and you are not doing it now.

First, I'm curious...does your anti-depressents increase or decrease your appetite...just info I want to add to other people's findings....

If your getting stuck, then your band is working...or it is doing something at least....as bad as it is to admit, I used to get a little satisfaction when I got stuck because it told me the band was indeed there trying to do something....better than not feeling anything at all, as though it was not there..IMO.

After my last adjustment, I too was all over the place with getting stuck, what foods to eat, differences from day to day if not hour to hour...there were times I felt I could not keep anything down....many people's opinions would have been to go back and get a little taken out so I would be able to eat anything I wanted....

In MY opinion, it was not the band that was causing me to be so erratic...it was ME that had to get things under control..to learn all new habits all over again...AND IT WAS NOT EASY....probably the hardest time period of having this surgery....

Eventually I did learn a new way....took many trial and errors to get it through my hard head....but then I lived 58 years of eating all wrong....hard to change in a few weeks.....

before I was even banded, they started to teach me "The Rules"...giving me handouts, and constant reminders....I was honest with them and told them I felt "The Rules" were a big waste of time....I still remember the 2 ladies smiling and telling me "Learn them now, because there will come a time when you won't be able to live without them...you'll see"

Boy were they ever right! After that last fill......WOW!

So it was a big learning curve for me....a very fine balancing act between having too much Fluid in my band, and/or Me not behaving properly so as not to interfere with the band and how it was designed.....

I will say, that once I got everything "Balanced"...it has all been a BREEZE...EASIEST thing ever, a true MIRACLE!!

I have no idea what you're experienceing.....I'm just rattleing on with my experiences, and hoping something I said rings a bell....

Hi Hayley, I am so sorry for what you're going through. I hope your medical professionals are able to work together with whatever medication you are prescribed and the nutrition/fill/unfill side of things. My only thought is that exercise would benefit your mood stability -- if you are at all able, can you get out each day and get some exercise. Believe me. I know this can be so hard when there is depression but it can make a big difference. I'm glad you are here on the forum. You are not alone in your struggles -- sending you best wishes!

I have had the band since 2005. I am unfortunately a lap band failure according to my doctor. I have severe esophogeal spasms and he cannot get the band at the right setting. It causes horrible reflux. The reason I jumped in is I suffer from depression and anxiety and have had to take SSRIs - I can't get off of them. I followed the lb diet almost perfectly and had a terrible time losing wait. I honestly think certain anti-depressants interfere with weight loss. The only way I have been able to lose some weight was focusing on exercise. Anyway, I saw your post and I wanted to let you know you are not alone - depression and/or anxiety is tough to fight. Being overweight is depressing in and of itself so I think it intensifies certain feelings. Just know you are not alone....

Hi all, I was banded in June 13, after my surgery in the first few weeks I lost around 2stone but since then nothing! In august time I was prescribed aunti depressants as I got so low that I physically couldn't be around anyone other than my close family. If I was around anyone other than basically my partner and about 4 other people I found myself self harming but not being aware I was doing so. I'm now still on the tablets but finding I can now start to leave the house without the worry or stress I have been getting but still feel slight anxiety. I'm now 8mls in my 10ml band but I don't feel as though it's working for me or maybe I'm not working for it? I have trouble eating.- I feel like I have good days or bad days.. I can eat one thing fine one day and the next there's just no chance. I have had food stuck a few times and iv had to make myself sick to bring it up, which I know it can't be healthy for me to be doing that so I find it easier to go with softer foods. I haven't eaten meat since my surgery as I'm scared of getting stuck and the pain I get with it. Has anyone had problems like this? Has anyone had to fight depression along side eating problems? All advise would great x

Hi

I can relate to your problem because I have that problem I am bipolar rapid cycling. I take 22 pills a dayand just 10 of them are psychiatric drugs some weight gaining. I've had bipolar diagnosed for over 15 years and the symptoms for another 15+ years. I was banded 8-23. No fills yet as I have alot of stuck problems, sliming, and somedays just have Protein smoothies. But I have learned from my many bouts of sliming that I can eat foods and meats cooked in a certain way. My best protein I can eat is fish...tilapia...fried in a little olive oil and take small bites and chew usually get a portion down no problem but do have times when I eat too fast or to big of a bite I get stuck.

I am learning my abilities to eat with the lap band. If you aren't filled too tight , I feel you have a mental block....afraid to eat not even trying to see what works.

I've had 30+ years of depression and I could write a book on my experiences. It took me 20 years before I forgave my abusers the shackles of hate fell off and I began to heal. But I'm on anti depressents , antipsychotics, antianxiety, and two or three others that I will never get off of...I have to work around them while working with my band.

I still don't like to go out much..but I do. I start my exercise program at a gym through my mentalhealth disability social security where my insurance pays for fees.

How long will I keep at it? I don't know but I keep trying. I have several chronics diseases...like diabetes, low thyroid, etc that also works against me losing weight. If you really want this....eating, losing weight, feeling better, then you need to come at this from all different sides. Do your health assessment, nutritionist, and begin from the beginning again but with thoughts of how you CAN do this. I know depression leaches out every ounce of will if you let it control you and you don't fight against it. It festers and gets a little more of you each day if you don't do something positive to stave it off. See your mental health provider and maybe you need a psychologist to talk to. But don't jyst sit there and let it win....fight back...it's your only life you'll have..how willing are you take it back and start to enjoy and join life again? I wish you only the best...it's a hard life...but it is a life with happiness and sadness..ups and downs...love...friendships...hope for better things to come. Refigure your reasons for having surgery...you made the decision to better your life don't stop now when the hard work has to begin. You won't be sorry. Don't just stagnant...push yourself forward. Things can and will get better if you only fight back a little each day until one day you are more up than down. It happened to me. It won't happen overnight but it can happen. Remember the band is the tool...it's up to you to use it wisely. Blessings and prayers my friend. It's hard but doable. And you can do this. Keep in touch.

Just as with all the other posters have said the first thing would be to sit and talk with your doc's. i would also add in the one prescribing those meds to make sure the balance is right - i'm not sure if you took them before being banded but weight loss will mess with the dosage required.

secondly.. 2 Stone is a GREAT weight loss that's about 28lbs and the fact that you can drop that shows you can do this.

thirdly - you are not alone i was banded mid sep and while i have seen weight loss - the majority from the pre op diet i am obsessed with the scale.. when it hasn't moved or infact has gone up truly messes with my day and how i feel. i have to get past the daily weighing.. and just allow my self to do so once a week.. (working on it ;) )

any how let us know how your doing and remember all of us here on these boards are here for the same reason and are you ears for listening when you want us.