Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

December Fitness Challenge

6 miles today, 18 for the week and a monthly total of 58 miles

What a month it has been.

I hope others have enjoyed their December fitness challenge as much as I.

Good partner workout today.

2 rounds for time:

800 m run with 45 # barbell

Load bar

80 thrusters (95#)

80 wall ball push ups

Unload bar 80

weighted lunges (45# plate overhead)

80 wall ball burpees

80 pull-ups

My partner and I completed in 32 min.

And we were on the mat afterwards feeling the warm glow of endorphins and catching breath. With the exception of the running, each of the sets was split up into smaller sets of 10 performed by one person before switching. That gives one person a little rest before getting back into the gauntlet.

I like these partner workouts on Saturday because there is good teamwork formed. Good bonding. We sweat and struggle together. We cry out in anguish together. I think the feeling of belonging is why I do cross fit. This is something I struggled with pre VSG. That is, finding my sense of belonging.

Back to the workout: With the exception of the thrusters and pull-ups, these are all new exercises for me. We must have looked awfully funny running down the street with a barbell. :) I held it in back squat position, but others were holding it like a pole in a pole vault and in front in a hang clean position. I think for running, back squat position was the easiest way to still run and not lose balance. By run, I mean 800 m (1/2 mile) in 5-6 min instead of usual sprint in 2.5-3 min. All in all an interesting new experience in my running experiences. We just needed to especially careful of passing others.

I think with this workout today I have achieved my goal of December (improved time on filthy 50 workout) even though this is not a filthy 50. It is close enough. Besides, I asked my coach if we were going to do a filthy 50 next week before the new year. Answer was no. In fact, she said it would probably be a few months until the next one.

Edited by Fiddleman

Didn't start the month off posting on the challenge (basically bc I couldn't remember my password), but wanted to say that I met this week's goal of 37.5 miles!!!!!

So far I'm up to 64.9 miles running (but I have a half marathon) tomorrow. And 7550 meters swimming. Should easily meet my swimming goal but it's going to take a push to reach my running goal of 120 miles. I'm gonna make it though.

Keep it up everyone. Keep doing what you can. This crazy month is almost over.

12 miles on the bike and 6 miles walking this week. I am on vacation this next week so will be doing some extra moving and riding. Will make my goal this month.

Fiddle - fat and muscle weigh the same, and why is the fat staying? At this rate I will be all muscle and all fat ........

Fiddle - fat and muscle weigh the same, and why is the fat staying? At this rate I will be all muscle and all fat ........

True. A pound of fat weighs the same as a pound of muscle.

But if you have an equal VOLUME of fat and muscle, the muscle will WEIGH more. This matters because a 200 pound man at 15% body fat will wear a smaller pants size than another 200 pound man at 25% body fat.

This is why I don't give a rip what the scale says. Body fat percentage is a true indicator of health and a lower percentage results in a smaller body.

When I hear the expression "muscle weighs more than fat" my response is always, no... 5lbs of muscle weighs the same as 5lbs of fat it just takes up less space :)

So far I'm up to 64.9 miles running (but I have a half marathon) tomorrow. And 7550 meters swimming. Should easily meet my swimming goal but it's going to take a push to reach my running goal of 120 miles. I'm gonna make it though. Keep it up everyone. Keep doing what you can. This crazy month is almost over.

The words of one of my favorite movies "Forest Gump"

"Run Butter Run"

Happy half marathon today!!!!!!!

Let us know how it went. SMILE!

Thanks sweet pea. It went very well considering I didn't have long enough to train. Had a great time and it was a blast running with thousands of other santas. I've been looking forward to this day since I got released to exercise after the TT. It was everything I hoped it would be. I'll do another one next month and I hope to be in better shape by then.

Puts my MTD up to 78.

I am feeling the same way training for my 15K after my plastic surgery. I feel I need to push myself to get back to my normal fitness level. Things are going very slow for me, but I keep trying. Smile.

I do not have enough time to train, but I will do my best even if they have to pick me up half way in a wheelchair and push me to the finish line.

I am doing it all for the free T-shirt!!! Ha ha ha!

Great job Butter!!!!

yes, they weigh the same, but 2 lbs of muscle read in scale weight may in fact be 2 lbs of fat loss and 2 lbs of lean muscle gain. I know it would be hard to quantify that statement without real measurements from a body pod or more practically with a decent pair of calipers (a professional might be needed to use correctly). Scale weight is almost the last measurement of success to focus on, especially when trying to gauge the success of a hard core workout routine like Insanity (or anything that really pushes your current level of fitness). It will take a while for the net effect of increased fitness to result in visual feedback on a scale LED screen. However, the increased confidence gained from more precise coordination, stamina, strength and increased cardio capabilities will be noticeable after a few weeks of starting. Focusing on the long term changes will certainly be harder to internalize, but the net results, will last a life time and carry you up into new heights of potential. And the sky becomes the limit to your potential when you have an mentality align with authentic and internal measurements of success.

Here's me before I got promoted to full Santa.....I was just an elf.

ha! I didn't know elves had big white beards. You are almost like an elf in training for the big man's job (Santa that is) in this photo (an interesting movie idea I am sure has not been done yet). All in all, good job at running the 1/2 after your major surgery and so soon. I am sure most could not do that.

Edited by Fiddleman

6 miles today for a monthly total of 64 miles. This will be my last post for the month as I have sleeve surgery scheduled for 730am tomorrow. Hope everyone has a great Holiday! Merry Christmas! see you in Jnauary