Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

December Fitness Challenge

Well, it is the end of the month and today everyone got to choose a benchmark workout. Everyone did a different workout and naturally I did the filthy 50 (my December goal):

To reiterate, here is the workout (in case you do not want to go back to the beginning of this thread):

Do

50 box jumps with a 24-inch box,

50 jumping pullups,

50 kettlebell swings (54 #),

50 walking lunge steps,

50 knees to elbows,

50 reps of push press with 45 pounds,

50 back extensions (45 # bar),

50 wallballs using a 20-pound ball,

50 burpees (dropping all the way to the floor),

50 double-unders.

My filthy 50 time came in at 21 minutes and 53 seconds (down from 23 min at beginning of month). That would mean I met my goal of being 30-45 seconds faster. However, I see there is still so much to improve that is not time related.

I am thoroughly and unconditionally toasted. Maybe it is because of 12 days of Christmas WOD on Tuesday, maybe it is because of rich eating in the last week from holiday parties. Don't know.

I blew through the workout until knees to elbows and then started to get upper body tired. By the time I hit #30 in wall balls, I was beyond body fatigued and fell over at around #40. Everyone else (about 10 others) picked shorter easier benchmarks so were all on the sidelines, watching me as I fell over from exhaustion. They were yelling and cheering for me to get back up.

The last 3 exercises of 50 reps each are brutal in this workout. They really test your resolve. I go through the burpees and then my rope broke on the double unders so had to find a replacement quick. Luckily I picked out a good fast one and whipped out the 50 quick. I love when a jump rope makes the whirring sound when the cycles are quick. I had to modify by dropping from 20# to 14# on wall balls and my knee to elbows would have not counted in competition because knees have to touch elbows when hanging from pull-up bar for each rep. My knees got about and inch away. Next time I do filthy 50 I hope to Rx.

I also like that one of the coaches was personally helping to correct my form and offering tips as I went through the workout to complete the exercises with less effort. The more I do cross fit, the more I realize it is being really smart about coordination sand conservation of energy. These are especially important on filthy 50 because it requires so much stamina and endurance in addition to movement skill and focus.

I wonder what tomorrow holds? :) this month has been a challenge. Next month I am starting a pull-up and handstand push-up challenge (another thread in fitness forum) to get 50 each in a row. It may take a couple months to reach the goal as I have what seems a very high mountain to climb.

I had a very nice Christmas with my family, even though the crud my son had (ER visit on Christmas Eve) was so generously passed on to me.

At any rate, I ate a few things off plan which was planned, however I ate more than I should have of the "forbidden" foods. I'm back on track today with no issues - no desire for those bad foods.

I hopped on the elliptical for the first time since surgery - I was only able to do 15 minutes, but it felt good! The balance of my work out was 45 minutes on the treadmill. I did a total of 3.5 miles today - my highest post-op.

I'm at 42.6 miles to my 54 mile goal - 11 more to go for the month!

I went shopping and to doc yesterday. I got in about 2.5 miles walking. Don't have a clue as to what my monthly total is. I am just happy that December is about to come to an end! Dr. visit went good. I seen the dietitian a few weeks ago and I was up a lb. I was happy considering I was at the dr.s the day after Christmas and although I didn't over eat I just didn't make healthy choices over the last few days. She was okay with said it was more than likely Water weight. So I am happy and ready to see the surgeon on Jan 31st. Oh and they do some kind of scope in the office at your yearly check up...not looking forward to that. I am 52 and have never had a scope of any sorts...I will be npo for it but not put under.YIKES! I might be a big chicken when it comes to this scope.

Red bean - how has the mma been going? What do your workouts look like?

Okay so I set down and went through my fitbit and MFP and added my miles up. So far for the month I have logged 75.02 miles. Not my December goal of 100 miles, but so much better than I thought I had done! And hey I have a few more days to count!

45.5 MTD and I just had the best Christmas dinner ever. Nom nom nom

49 miles 1 more to go.

no but I take weekly side/back photos of myself in the same clothes and I have some structured clothes (non-stretchy) and none of these things have changed.

I think we are our own worst critics. Perhaps you could send them to someone you trust or post them on here and let us see if we can see a difference? Maybe you're being hard on yourself

Red bean - how has the mma been going? What do your workouts look like?

I have a two week break...but other than that...I did it twice a week. In January we are thinking about starting it 3x a week. We do kicking/boxing moves, these sit up things where you punch to the left and right, a lot of moving for the whole time...I really enjoy it and am missing it right now

Got some more mileage in , added another strength class, am waiting for hubby to rearrange the basement area to accomodate my fabulous new eliptical/recumbent so I can use it, MTD-97 miles 10yc,9 ss, I should be able to break the 100 mark on walking and hope to get in at least one more strength session before the end of the year. if you told me a year ago that I would be doing all this exercise I would have been rolling on the ground laughing.

120 + miles on the elliptical this month!!!!

Not only met my goal...... Surpassed it !!!!!!

Feeling the best I have ever felt !!!!

I did a lot of walking today 8.3 miles.

Tomorrow almost 60 shooting for a 20 mile bike ride.

You are all so inspiring!!! I'm 26 days out today and am going to get my gym membership in a few hours. I hope there's a January fitness challenge that I can join!!!

Well I hit 100 miles...101.5 to be exact. I may be done for the month though. Seems I have caught this cold bug that's been going around. I don't think it's the flu but definitely not fun. Who knew the sinus's could produce so much mucus....and such interesting colors too! Any who, finish strong everyone and let's get ready for 2014...it's gonna be a great year!!!

Well I hit 100 miles...101.5 to be exact. I may be done for the month though. Seems I have caught this cold bug that's been going around. I don't think it's the flu but definitely not fun. Who knew the sinus's could produce so much mucus....and such interesting colors too! Any who, finish strong everyone and let's get ready for 2014...it's gonna be a great year!!!

Way to GEAUX for your goal!!! Hope you feel better. I've had it for over a week and it SUCKS!!

I lost over 80 pounds today!

Bet that statement caught your attention. I actually did. I rode my bicycle today with the carrier and two grandchildren in it. The combined weight is over 80 pounds and once I finished riding I was no longer carrying it.

Got in 12 miles today in 60 degree weather. Tomorrow in the 30s and Monday 21 for a high. Crazy weather here.