Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

No Willpower

I am new here and been reading the post. I cant get started on my pre diet. its 3 shakes a day and one meal. each shake taken with a pc of fruit, bc it don't fill me up

I have tried in the morning at 5;30 am I drink a shake and a yogurt. then by 9:30 it suppose to be a Protein and I just want to eat whatever I want and its not good. I have only made it to two shakes land the rest of the day is gone.

I need help, I need will power to stick with it, I need to lose only 10lb and I can't get myself on plan. I spoke to my surgeon and dietitian and just tell me that to keep trying everyday try a little harder and eat every 3 to 4 hrs. I feel so bad bc Monday its group meeting and I know I haven't lost anything.

I been rereading the guide book and all my paper work but still cant get started.

please any advice, tips much appreciated.

Thank you.

Do or do not, there is no try. Suck it up and get it done. What helped me was finding a shake that I really liked. Be sure the calories/ protein/ carbs meet with your doctors approval. It's hard, the hardest thing I've ever done. You can do it.

When I tlk to someone on here it makes me feel that your caring and supportive. I have no one my family and friends say I shouldn't do it, this is my fourth time I chickened out the first three and I feel im not going to do it, but I know this will help me be healthier and cut down on all the meds I take.

I'll keep reading the post and posting if nobody minds.

nancy

Unbesleevable1, it shows that you just had the surgery, how are you feeling and how did it go ?

Do or do not, there is no try. Suck it up and get it done. What helped me was finding a shake that I really liked. Be sure the calories/ protein/ carbs meet with your doctors approval. It's hard, the hardest thing I've ever done. You can do it.

To the OP, you are so right, if you are not ready to make this commitment, don't do it. It is absolutely a wonderful surgery to help you change your life but it also is just that life changing; foods you eat, quantity, commitment to exercise, healthy eating and small portions. I wish you the best and you will know when you are ready and when that time comes there will be no stopping you!!

Hey there, have you tried Journaling your emotions about food before you eat?

I am a recovering binge eater. Every day I would start out strong, and after 3 or 4 hours I would hit my willpower limit. Then my binges would start. I got a handle on my emotional overeating by writing what I was feeling before I ate, and then writing down everything I was eating during the meal and after. I kept my journals private because of how ashamed I was, but i told the truth in them. They were not pretty. It took a few weeks before I could stop binging. But for me journaling my emotions before, and my actions and emotions during and after eating helped me to stop binge eating.

Willpower is a finite resource, and when we are low on it our reserves are depleted quickly. The journaling gave me a pause, a few moments to reconnect with myself, and I envisioned increasing my willpower by 1unit with each journal entry. I seriously drew little pictures of my willpower meter and it was getting the tiniest bit bigger with each entry.

There are some neat psychological studies on willpower and habits which give the scientific background for what I'm saying. The brain is highly plastic and it can learn new patterns, but it takes time, consistent effort, and above all, willingness to continue trying to change even in the face of repeated challenges and "failures".

The sleeve will be a successful tool, but it takes patience and a willingness to change everything in order to wield this new tool properly. I believe in you. I believe that you can and will be successful at this one small step at a time. Changing is really, really hard, but you are worth the effort it will take to save your life.

Good luck!

Dani, thank you so much your words reached my heart and I cried. so many things you said remind me of me. I to was a binge and purging when I was around 16 to late30, I'm 50 just turned it on nov 8th and I did it on my own to stop it took a long time but I can say I stopped doing it, even no I do think about it and keep saying no to myself.

hugs

i dont believe in will power...i can will myself into anything..but i do have want power..i wanted to have this surgery bad enough to do anything/everything i had to in order to have it..if you want it, do it..

i could hardly wipe my butt

and my son told me i was going to be a grandmother....i couldnt have even walked her down my hallway much less around the block in her stroller..those were my 2 motivations...i was as wide as i am tall....WAS......

pre op is hard....dangum hard....but it is doable..stay busy, clean the house, go shopping, call your friends, read this forum for support.....read, walk, take a bath, have sex,,,,,occupy your mind.....you wont starve trust me...and when you finally have your surgery, you will be on here telling people the same thing i am telling you now....hang in there..

If you can hold strong the first day, the second day is a wee bit easier. and the third and fourth. For most, days 3 and 4 can mark a turning point AS LONG AS you can make it through the day "clean". If not it will be as if you need to go back to day one and start all over again.

The pre-diet is important for a lot of reasons. One, you get to practice on thinking about food and eating in a new way. Two, you can practice your new behaviors before you are post-surgery (and you will HAVE to follow the hard things then). Third, if your MD wants a pre-diet, it means he/she wants you to shrink your liver... Very Important to help your surgeon out!

doing good so far today. but at this time is when I start thinking about food.

Can you start a project that you can't eat while doing? Get involved in a book? Start knitting? Phone a friend so you can't/won't chomp over the phone?

You are completely worth doing this the right way. What Arts says is true, if you can get through the first couple of days the next few get a lot easier.

aarrggg was doing good till now, was starving at a dr. office, went and got a cheese burger happy meal, 4pc nugget and a soda. got a phone call that put me over big time, ended up eating rice, Beans and chicken alfredo. 1 cup

liquid 109oz

I was doing so good. Now I fee I messed up my whole day, that I did good

I have been doing pretty good even though I'm struggling with the broth ewww …… I feel bad because today we had a bday party at work and I got a taste, a fork full of brisket ugh I shouldn't of at least I said no to cake lol.

Today is the first day of my pre opt diet. Technically i am supposed to start on the 16th but i decided to begin two days early because i thought it would be easier on a weekend since people typically go through withdraw, feel tired, weak in the beginning. Maybe it will be easier if you begin on the weekend. I am also doing my best to keep busy by reading a riveting novel, doing laundry, creating a WLS binder that has recipes, nutrition facts, etc in it, doing some online window shopping and lots of rest. I also purchased a journal where I've been keeping track of my thought and emotions because i am an emotional eater. This is HARD but you can do it! It'll be worth it on the loser bench. I've had to fast before for other reasons and it really does get easier, you just have to make it through the first few days.

Today is the first day of my pre opt diet. Technically i am supposed to start on the 16th but i decided to begin two days early because i thought it would be easier on a weekend since people typically go through withdraw, feel tired, weak in the beginning. Maybe it will be easier if you begin on the weekend. I am also doing my best to keep busy by reading a riveting novel, doing laundry, creating a WLS binder that has recipes, nutrition facts, etc in it, doing some online window shopping and lots of rest. I also purchased a journal where I've been keeping track of my thought and emotions because i am an emotional eater. This is HARD but you can do it! It'll be worth it on the loser bench. I've had to fast before for other reasons and it really does get easier, you just have to make it through the first few days.

Oh Comfy, you are thinking and planning and you WILL do well!

Do your best. Try as hard as you can and don't beat yourself up over any slips. Shoot for perfect, and accept success "anyway". :-)

It's a tough 3 or 4 days, but it WILL get better...