Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Yes the way I'm eating and as feedyoureye above pointed out for her is a more balanced approach.

I guess we have to look at carbs. When I think about people eating carbs I go right to crap type foods.. So those are the ones i try and stay away from.. But I eat carbs in the form of fruits and veggies. I eat blueberries every day (no joke everyday) they have carbs also plain Greek yogurt, carbs. Also I eat ancient grains granola about twice a week carbs..

I'm a lazy cook! Hate it.

So on a typical fast day you will see me eating roasted chicken on a bed of lettuce and veggies with bolthouse Greek yogurt dressing.

HI former_vgb. What I think I hear u say is what worked for u before is no longer working. I am in the same low carb eating boat. No matter how low pounds still not coming off. I have been told our boddies get used to something and that stops working when trying to lose. I have been told when that happens u gotta switch it up. Scary but look into introducing the good carbs while eating balanced. I am trying to start the scale moving downward with 5:2 and haven't found the right balance of. Calories, protien veggies and good carbs that work yet. Looking forward to getting back on the 5:2 wagon after all the holiday feasts are over

Honestly, I'm hoping it will spark a small loss when I start eating better regularly after the spike in crappy eating (shaking things up!? :P ). I am already eating better, but my last two fast days were less than stellar. Carb monster! At least I'm still in my 3 pound goal range.

As mentioned by my fellow 5:2gals (FYE, Laura, Brown) most are still highly concerned with overall carbs such as "whites" (pasta, potatoes, rice) but also incorporate a balanced eating plan. For me, now that I am mostly maintaining, I enjoy whole wheat and grains like bran flakes, whole wheat Pasta WITHIN small amounts but not daily and not as a staple.

For me, low carb did not work to get the regain off. My body rebelled for some reason. Whereas before, I easily lost doing Atkins, at almost 3 years out I tried to lose and would lose and regain as soon as I even approached anything remotely like normal. Stumbled onto 5:2 and finally found something that for me, and others, has given us a sense of disciplined, committed lifestyle.

For me, I try to eat dense Protein or something like mini babybel cheese and a cup of veggie Soup or chili. Sometimes Protein Shake too. On my feast days, I still only eat around 1100-1200 calories and just eat clean- no junk.

Oh, and I did "carb it up" over the last week with goodies!!! Fasted yesterday and right back at normal weight. So, Kim, yep you will "spark" that low again.

vbg, have you watched the BBC documentary yet? Very helpful....

has an annoying popup, but scroll down to see the video. it tells the details of what the plan is based on.

http://leangainsguide.com/diet/igf-1-and-fasting/

Thank you for that link. Very interesting. I like how they worked their way into the science behind the 5-2 plan. While I don't doubt that this Mr. Mosely lost the weight he says and had the improved blood results, I have a hard time wrapping my head around how weight loss is possible eating "whatever" someone wants on the 5 days of non-fasting. I think I saw some people post that they still try to limit their caloric intake on the non-fast days. I also found his website http://thefastdiet.co.uk/

I haven't gone through his site yet, although, it appears he is trying to make some $ from this but to his credit he does have a lot of helpful links in there along with recipes for the non-fasting days and such. I found this Soup one intriguing although whether I will ever get around to making it remains to be seen seeing as how much I hate cooking and by cooking, that means just about anything that can't be unwrapped and stuck in the microwave. Yes, I know that's lazy but my lifestyle (job and other responsibilities) is also extremely hectic so its not like I just don't want to make time- its finding the time. Anyhow, enough about that.

I am even more intrigued now. I also sent it to my friend who lives in Germany who isn't obese, never has been, but since living abroad for the last 5 years, she has gained 20# with all the festive events with the wines and such over there. She's very much analytical minded like myself so I'm curious if she will try this.

Anyhow, thank you guys. All very helpful posts! Now I need to figure out my own strategy since I have never looked at calories since surgery and always focused on low carb eating, I need to look up some different foods to keep me in the 400 to 500 calorie range that would be easy for me to stay on track as well as not being empty calories. I'll continue to watch what you guys post on what you eat and pick up some things from that too.

Well, since many research articles show that WLS patients may become metabolically "altered" and it can take a whole lot less calories to be able to maintain than a non-obese person who had lost some weight to maintain this lifestyle offers a way to do that

Have you had your TDEE CALCULATED?

Well, since many research articles show that WLS patients may become metabolically "altered" and it can take a whole lot less calories to be able to maintain than a non-obese person who had lost some weight to maintain this lifestyle offers a way to do that

Have you had your TDEE CALCULATED?

Yeah, I have heard that can happen to people who have gone through WLS. What is a TDEE?

Hey, I just noticed that under my picture there is a caption that says "LAP-BAND patient". That wasn't there before the website change. I've never had the lapband surgery. I had the Vertical Banded Gastroplasty surgery 15plus years ago but had the sleeve surgery 2 1/2 years ago. I never registered on this site as a lap bander.

Sorry, I know that's off topic, but if anyone knows how to fix this, I don't see anything in my profile to do so.

Very interesting Georgia that you are experiencing the same thing as me in that low carb no longer works for getting off the regain. If you don't mind, when you get back to the 5:2 plan, I would be curious to follow your progress and your strategy.

As mentioned by my fellow 5:2gals (FYE, Laura, Brown) most are still highly concerned with overall carbs such as "whites" (pasta, potatoes, rice) but also incorporate a balanced eating plan. For me, now that I am mostly maintaining, I enjoy whole wheat and grains like bran flakes, whole wheat Pasta WITHIN small amounts but not daily and not as a staple.

For me, low carb did not work to get the regain off. My body rebelled for some reason. Whereas before, I easily lost doing Atkins, at almost 3 years out I tried to lose and would lose and regain as soon as I even approached anything remotely like normal. Stumbled onto 5:2 and finally found something that for me, and others, has given us a sense of disciplined, committed lifestyle.

For me, I try to eat dense Protein or something like mini babybel cheese and a cup of veggie Soup or chili. Sometimes Protein Shake too. On my feast days, I still only eat around 1100-1200 calories and just eat clean- no junk.

Yeah, I have heard that can happen to people who have gone through WLS. What is a TDEE?

Total daily energy expenditure or BMR. Basal metabolic rate (the amount you burn if you do NOTHING). Here is one link. There are several calculators online. You can google it to find different ones to compare. Mine is around 1375! Which is why as VSGers we could never eat 2000 plus calories a day on non-fast days and not gain. Well, unless you are really really burning cals like some are. I'm not! :).

http://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/calorie-calculator-tdee-bmr-bmi/

Hey, I just noticed that under my picture there is a caption that says "LAP-BAND patient". That wasn't there before the website change. I've never had the lapband surgery. I had the Vertical Banded Gastroplasty surgery 15plus years ago but had the sleeve surgery 2 1/2 years ago. I never registered on this site as a lap bander. Sorry, I know that's off topic, but if anyone knows how to fix this, I don't see anything in my profile to do so.

Go to your profile and under "surgery type" change it to correct type. It should then correct itself. Mine showed up as lapband also when BP launched.

Very interesting, so I just did the calculation and it says my TDEE is 1872. BMR is 1362. I own a small horse farm and so whether I want to or not, I am out doing chores morning and night without fail. Winter time I am MUCH less active as I don't care for the cold much. Summer time I am much more active with mowing, fixing fence and all kinds of other things on the farm. That said, I work in an office and you would think that a person would have so much excess energy physically doing almost NOTHING but work at a computer and attend meetings that I would have energy at the end of the day but that's just not the case.

Anyhow, thank you Georgia for that link. Very interesting and enlightening. I am certain you are right about VSGrs can't aren't likely to have as much success w/out some monitoring on the non-fast days.

Total daily energy expenditure or BMR. Basal metabolic rate (the amount you burn if you do NOTHING). Here is one link. There are several calculators online. You can google it to find different ones to compare. Mine is around 1375! Which is why as VSGers we could never eat 2000 plus calories a day on non-fast days and not gain. Well, unless you are really really burning cals like some are. I'm not! :).

http://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/calorie-calculator-tdee-bmr-bmi/

Very interesting Georgia that you are experiencing the same thing as me in that low carb no longer works for getting off the regain. If you don't mind, when you get back to the 5:2 plan, I would be curious to follow your progress and your strategy.

I am actively following 5:2 now as are several others. Here are my stats from 5:2 and before

Sleeved 6/2/10. 250

Goal 2/2011. 150 lbs. loss of 100

Rocked along until approx 3/2013 gradually gaining a few pounds.

6/2013. 177. Regain of 27 pounds

Began 5:2 lifestyle. Relost and reached original goal 150 in Oct 2013.

Following 5:2 decided to lose addl 10 pounds to have solid "bounce". Reached 140 first part of December 2013.

My GOAL to maintain at 139-140 using 5:2.

I average 1200-130078 calories daily five days a week and "fast" 500 calories making sure there is at least one 16 hour "fast" window in a 24 hour period 2 days a week.

I am on MFP also. georgiasm1 if you use that app. That's the other thing I found. I have to LOG LOG LOG and be aware constantly.

Anyhow, thank you guys. All very helpful posts! Now I need to figure out my own strategy since I have never looked at calories since surgery .......

Perhaps start by logging what you eat now? Then you will have an idea how many calories your at.... Then that might be your feast day calorie goal. (I would not make it under 1200... but thats just me) Then go for 500 on fast days.