Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Does Anyone Else Feel Like This..?

Whatever you do do not weigh yourself everyday, you will go crazy. Your Water weight will fluctuate so don't worry about it. I weighed myself once per week for my first 6 weeks, now I just weight in and take measurements of my chest, hips, and waist monthly.

I think it's normal to be impatient about seeing results (and to not believe you will be successful). We spent a lot of time being involved with this process even before the surgery. Some of us (like me), have even dumped a ton of $$ into this as well ($25,000 for me and that doesn't include lost wages for being off work for 6 weeks, or time I missed going to doctor appt's.). Im 10 weeks post op and down about 45lbs. I can feel the difference, but can't see it. I really worry about that not seeing it part. I got down to 180 over a decade ago and I felt just as fat then as I do now (251). That is a mentality issue that I think can really hinder our true success and happiness. Is it completely normal though, I think for a lot of us.

I think most of us fear we will be the ONE that fails at this. Just remember to be mindful of your eating, try to identify what causes you to reach for the bad foods (or reach for food when you aren't hungry) and most importantly...Try to love yourself more and be forgiving when needed. We are all going to slip up at times. We have get right back up and dust off though. We can't dwell on it, and we have to move forward. This surgery has taught me to reflect in my actions more than I ever did before.

So try being really happy about those loose pants or growing further from the steering wheel etc. That's what is getting me through even though I can't see a difference in myself :)

Jdmama is so right. I am 8 months post surgery and still sometimes feel like maybe they didnt take enough of my stomach or maybe my stomach has stretched. But the truth of the matter is that only happens when I am eating something that is not Protein (like crackers, Peanut Butter, cookies). If I am eating a big piece of chicken, fish or even steak after half I now my sleeve is full. Also when compared to what I was able to eat before- well lets just say the sleeve is definitely intact. I agree dont weight every day. In the first few months I weighed 2x per week with only 1 per week being my official weigh in. Stalls will happen and slowed weight loss will happen but if you make the right choices and follow the plan you will loose weight. Also, keep reading these boards, they are chock full of inspiration, tips and motivation. Good luck.

Lol other then holes in my tummy and 1st night being so sick I too have felt this. I'm 8 days out and feel like I could go straight to solids. Getting all my potein in gotta work harder on mt Water that's not going so well but getting hungry during the day.

I also too have had trouble with water!! I'm drinking as much as I can but I'm deffinately not getting enough, I've always easily drunk 2+ litres a day. May I ask what your daily protien consists of?

I also too have had trouble with water!! I'm drinking as much as I can but I'm deffinately not getting enough, I've always easily drunk 2+ litres a day. May I ask what your daily protien consists of?

Yes I drink 2 Protein Shakes a day. I'm using gladiator from smoothie king and it has 45g Protein per shake. I'm on full liquid right now. My doc says try putting a small amount of flavoring in my Water see if helps. I haven't tried yet bc I'm not big on flavored water but I guess I Will try.

Yes I drink 2 Protein Shakes a day. I'm using gladiator from smoothie king and it has 45g Protein per shake. I'm on full liquid right now. My doc says try putting a small amount of flavoring in my Water see if helps. I haven't tried yet bc I'm not big on flavored water but I guess I Will try.

It's very common not to like the taste of plain water after WLS. Minute Maid has a frozen lemon juice. It's found in the frozen juice section of the grocery stores. I squirt a little of that in my water and it makes all the difference.

I had my sleeve done 5 days ago but I don't think it's worked. I don't feel sore or overly full when I eat, I'm 2 days out of hospital and can carry on my home duties as normal. I've been eating like I should but feel as if I could eat more, like more solid stuff. Is this normal? I'm grateful for a quick recovery but it's almost feeling too easy. I keep thinking they haven't cut enough out lol and yes I know that sound soooo stupid. Did anyone else feel like this? :(

Your story is my story to the "T". I actually called my doctor and asked how much did he remove, and wanted to speak to anyone who was in the OR and witnessed the surgery because I didn't feel as though the doctor removed anything.

From the first day of surgery, I was up out of bed flying around the hospital. In fact, the nurses had to keep up with me. LOL I drove myself to the hospital and my sister and mom came the day of surgery and stayed overnight nearby so that I can be driven home. Well I was in no pain so on the day of discharge since I was not on pain meds, I drove myself home while my sister rode as a passenger. LOL

What I learned is that the "full feeling" everyone talks about after they've eaten two bites does not hit you until the nerves in your sleeve heal.

Now, that I am two months out, I am uncomfortably full after about 2 - 3 ozs. of solids like dense Protein. I can get up to 4 ozs. of soft foods and feel full. Before the nerves healed, it was business as usual... I felt hungry all the time and never felt full. I remember getting frustrated because I was so hungry. I was like... What happened to the "since the portion of your stomach that produces ghrelin which triggers hunger is removed, you will feel less hungry". Well, I found out that it takes a while for the body to rid itself of the ghrelin after surgery! Again, now that it's been 2-months post-op, I can go forever before realizing that I haven't eaten because I don't get hungry.

Ok, now that I've written an entire book here, LOL I say all that to say, give it time, stick to your post-op diet, even though you feel you can eat solids, your sleeve is still healing and the nerves are repairing themselves. Once the nerves are repaired you will begin to feel full just from looking at food! LOL

Be careful, it takes your brain a little longer to catch up, and you'll find yourself fixing a plate with your normal portions and only eating two or three bites. When the time comes that you are back to eating solids, use a small salad plate instead of a large dinner plate, and measure your food. The plates I have were humongous, so I went and purchased smaller plates.

My husband had the sleeve in May 2012 and it took a good 2 months before it seemed to really kick in and the weightloss started really good. I am due for surgery with in a month and I hope it sticks for me.