Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Too Slow For My Taste

My weight loss has been so slow, its making me wonder if its not just the lifestyle change that is making the 1lb a month loss. It's been very discouraging and got somewhat off the wagon a couple of weeks ago. I had back surgery almost 2 weeks ago and for some reason, everything I ate got stuck and kept vomiting after each meal. Now its ok but a few days before surgery and over 1 week after surgery, everything got stuck. I was at a loss, so I resorted to the mashed potatoes and the carb stuff I am not supposed to eat. Now that I am healing from surgery, I am fine with absolutely everything I eat. Not good in many ways because now, I am testing myself and at my expense. All this to say that I finally realized that stress and just stress alone can flare up the stuck episodes that so many fear. I know I am not in the "green zone" yet as I am soooo frigging hungry all the time and can eat big portions so I said to myself that I do not want any more adjustments until after xmas and am doubting my capabilities of achieving success for this surgery as I am mentally preparing myself that this is the way that I will be for the rest of my life and there is nothing I can do about it as I have tried everything and wasted enough money. Whoa, that's a load off...thanks for listening.

This is just my opinion and I believe you can be successful.

I would get a fill. To me the Lapband is all about being properly adjusted. You shouldn't have to be hungry. Your portions should be a cup or less. It does take awhile to get to the green zone. But if you don't get fills then you won't reach it.

I know your frustrated and I know making this lifestyle change is tough.

you said you were going to wait and get a fill after x-mas, for this to work you have to embrace this change during the holidays too. you will always find an excuse to wait. or at least i could if i approached it that way. for a long time I did approach it that way, after x-mas i will start eating right, after we get moved into the new home I will start eating right....etc..etc. i put it off until i weighed 275 lbs. it's easy to do.

I agree with you though stress affects the band for me it also affects my weight loss. I have faith in you and i'm sorry your going through tough times with other things as well...Good luck everything will work out, take care

I don't think you will be 'successful' until you get to green zone. That's when the band is working at it's full potential. You've come too far to stop trying now, get back in the saddle now and get a fill asap, before the holidays get here. IMO you putting off a very needed fill, will lead to more weight gain and more regret, which it sounds like you don't need any more of at the moment. But, why would you say you're so hungry and say you're not at green, and say you're not happy with the rate of weight loss you've had and then say you don't want a fill until after Christmas??? Are you just giving yourself some "room" to eat more and eat things that you want that are not as easily eaten with more restriction? I think you need to see your surgeon and let him know how you're feeling. No one wants to see you down on your band and not succeeding. But you really should ask yourself what your motives are cause I'm just puzzled why you wouldn't want a fill now asap. Best wishes.

I certainly cannot speak for everyone else, but here is an example of what it is like for me....

Today, I went to a football game....the snack bar had nothing good to eat, just the usual dogs, bugers, fries, etc...

I bought chicken fingers...THREE chicken fingers....I got half way through one chicken finger and spit the last bite out, threw the rest away...I asked myself "What an I eating these for? I'm not hungry" Nor did I have an interest in eating...

This is typical for me...happens everytime I grab a snack, a donut at work, some Cookies my wife baked...whatever...I will grab things out of habit, then realize I did not, and do not , want to eat it....My mind is always teling me I am not hungry, and I do not have any interest in food, in general....

It's been that way for over 2 years now...some people only get it a few hours between meals, some not at all and always hungry.......go figure!

Is it because of how many, and much, of fills I've had? Is it my way of being in the Green Zone? I'm not evn going to speculate anymore, other than say it as it is...for me anyway.

So when people talk about "Getting Back on the Wagon" or Turning this thing on or off, Myself, I cannot comprehend it...maybe someday but not the way it is for mw now.

eating is eating, holidays or not.....if you eat more calories than you burn off, you will gain...

eating to test waters, or because you can eat than you (know you should) is only hurting yourself..

either adhere to eating better foods, in your dr advised allotment, (get a fill if it helps you)...or gain weight

use the band as instructed and it will work

i believe in you...i wish you did also

This may not be a popular answer but if you are only losing a pound a month you are over eating. Granted its a pound and a loss is a loss but I had 227 pounds to lose....and I didn't have 20 years to do it.

Why wait until after Christmas to get a fill? The band is a tool... But it doesn't work for most people unless you fill it to where it helps you curb your eating. If you aren't interested in doing that it's going to be a tough road ahead.

I wish you alkyl the best in your journey.

you are ALL right. I am kind of bummed out about it and just feel like throwing in the towel but all I can do is move forward and not give up I guess. I will get a fill next week (appoint the 27th) and see if it helps with the hunger. I have paid close attention to the hunger and this one is different. I feel nauseated because of how hungry I get. So I eat a little something. It might very well be the frame of mind that I am in also that is "tricking" me into making me think that I am starving. Who knows. Back to low carb as of right now and more Water intake.

you are ALL right. I am kind of bummed out about it and just feel like throwing in the towel but all I can do is move forward and not give up I guess. I will get a fill next week (appoint the 27th) and see if it helps with the hunger. I have paid close attention to the hunger and this one is different. I feel nauseated because of how hungry I get. So I eat a little something. It might very well be the frame of mind that I am in also that is "tricking" me into making me think that I am starving. Who knows. Back to low carb as of right now and more Water intake.

Yes Carole, the mind can play a huge role in some obese peoples cause of why we they are over weight. But it's a cycle, in my opinion. Once you got your band, you had a new tool to work in your favor to fight your obesity. You were probably psyched when you first got it. Ready to conquer your weight. But until you make it to the green zone, it's a trial of faith lol. Because you aren't very restricted and it's more like a diet, which is easy to give up on when we don't see expected results or we have an emotional tragedy thrown our way, we tend to eat more. Like I said, it's a cycle. So until you get your band working optimally, it's difficult to be successful. I got my second fill about 10 days ago, and I'm pretty close to what I'd call the green zone, and what a difference! It's renewed my sense of being able to conquer this beast called obesity. So like Carolina stated, I believe in you. Get your fill and keep getting them until your eating only about a cup of food at each meal and feeling satiated for about 4 hours. Also eat quality foods, that will help your appetite, if you're getting enough Protein, you will stay full longer and it will help your psyche. You can do this, just don't give up on yourself! :)

Hi guys. I hope you don't mind a former bandster and current sleever chiming in here but we're all together now right? When I had my band I felt ravenously hungry all the time. In the process of my revision I learned a lot about acid reflux which I had when I had my band but it had not been diagnosed. I was out on a ppi (omeprazole) just before my revision. Even now with my sleeve if I don't take my ppi regularly I feel very hungry. I wonder now if I would have been more successful with my band had I just been been prescribed a ppi. Anyway, just hoping the info might help someone avoid the issue I had.

Hi guys. I hope you don't mind a former bandster and current sleever chiming in here but we're all together now right? When I had my band I felt ravenously hungry all the time. In the process of my revision I learned a lot about acid reflux which I had when I had my band but it had not been diagnosed. I was out on a ppi (omeprazole) just before my revision. Even now with my sleeve if I don't take my ppi regularly I feel very hungry. I wonder now if I would have been more successful with my band had I just been been prescribed a ppi. Anyway, just hoping the info might help someone avoid the issue I had.

Hey Fixerupper and welcome :) Yes as a matter of fact my wls recommends that her patients take a ppi. She said it's needed since the acid stays in the pouch longer. I've never had reflux so I can't comment personally. But my mom had reflux and h pylori (bacteria that causes ulcers) and she was ravenous while she had it too, and as her condition improved, the hunger waned. So I think you have made a very valid point, and it'd be worth speaking to the doctor about too. Best wishes with your Sleeve :)

Hey Fixerupper and welcome :) Yes as a matter of fact my wls recommends that her patients take a ppi. She said it's needed since the acid stays in the pouch longer. I've never had reflux so I can't comment personally. But my mom had reflux and h pylori (bacteria that causes ulcers) and she was ravenous while she had it too, and as her condition improved, the hunger waned. So I think you have made a very valid point, and it'd be worth speaking to the doctor about too. Best wishes with your Sleeve :)

Thanks for the welcome! It is good to know that some surgeons are recommending ppis for band patients. Good luck to you too!

Hi Carole, glad you're here -- that's a big step in the right direction! And seeing your doc soon is excellent. Good for you for making that appointment and reeling in the carbs. Don't forget that you are coming off of a back surgery and probably a lot of pain leading up to that. Maybe even drugs. Your body is shrugging all of that off now, which makes this a perfect time to get healthy. Pain does such a number on the brain, and for those of us who have wiring for food as a reward or escape, it is very hard not to turn to that. Which is why the band. Dim that hunger and you'll be feeling great through the holidays -- in control of your appetite but enjoying food, just in very small amounts. Talk about the ultimate Christmas gift. Best wishes to you!

Carole, this is in no way, shape, or form meant to be mean or rude. My surgeon said it to me, and I think I've even seen it on here once. It's one of those things that is so obvious, until someone says it, you just don't think about it!

"If you want to be a 120 lb person, you have to eat like a 120 lb person" - 120 lbs is just an example

I realize I'm only 3 weeks in, and there is absolutely nothing in my band right now... but... The slower I eat, the faster I feel full. Get back to the basics! Take a pause between bites, chew thoroughly, don't drink while you're eating... etc etc.

As the famous quote from the movie Waterboy goes, "YOU CAN DO IT!!"

You can do it, but you have to want it. I hope you want it bad enough to do the work for it because it is going to take commitment, perseverance and will power. We will all support you, but nobody can do it for you.