Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My Dr. Says If I Gain 1 More Pound I Will Be Given An Extra Month Visit But....

I'm only gaining because she wanted me to stop smoking and eat 3 times a day instead of my normal 1 - 2. I already get full easily, called "early satiety". I get full easily and will stay full all day. I would go plenty of days without eating at all which is why I brought up the option to do this surgery since the smaller portions would help me not feel as malnourished. Plus why be this big when I barely eat and my doctor agreed totally and signed me right up saying this would help.

Now my nutritionist is trying to make me eat 3 times a day, with Snacks in between and says I have to quit smoking which I didn't mind at all, I was actually ready for that. So since I quit smoking and have been eating 3x daily, I have gained about 7lbs in the past 2 months and now she threatens me with additional visits before approval if I gain 1 more pound....

I feel sabotaged, what do I do, I can't eat this much and not gain weight...WHAT NOW?!?!?!?!?!?

I feel hope slipping...smh

Are you eating healthy? I know is not easy.. but its a life style after surgery..Salads..vegetables..chicken..fish.. no fried food or sweets.. try not to eat bread..rice or Pasta. And you wont gain. Measure the food and log it in a calorie counter kike myfitnesspal. :)

I would have to do my own thing and eat the 2 meals. With that said you have to make up your own mind for what is good for you with weight loss. Are your food choices wise to the diet your NUT has given you? You are trying to do 2 things that are really tough at the same time. Quitting the cigarettes is really tough and the go to fix is food. You have to pick some really low caloric items like fresh veggies to snack on. The reason I say I would do my own thing is as I said the 2 things combined are really really tough to balance and I would have to do what works for me but doing it wisely. Your NUT doesn't seem to understand what you are trying to accomplish and putting more stress on you with threats just makes it worse. Hang in there and just try to figure out what you can do to compliment the 2 life changes. You can do it!! :)

Girl, I was told that they want me to lose 5 lbs before surgery. So what did I do? I have been food honeymooning (eating everything I can find that I will miss) instead and now I have to lose 7 lbs. At this rate, if I don't get a date, I'm gonna need to lose 10 - 15 lbs. I asked her about that and she said everyone does it. People are saying goodbye to the foods they like most. Like today, since I had a rough day at work, I want to go to my favorite place Taco Bell and chow down on an Extra Grilled Stuffed Burrito. I'm an emotional eater. I know this. This will be my challenge when I have the surgery for sure. So with that being said, do you follow your doctors rules by eating 3 meals per day and quit smoking or do you do what you do to make it to surgery?

I feel that I could easily do a liquid slim fast diet and drink a lot of Water and lose the 5lb that they want but I'm not willing to do that until I get approval from insurance or meet with the doctor for a date. Am I wrong by saying this? Maybe, but I know my body best.

Good Luck with your decision!

I'm only gaining because she wanted me to stop smoking and eat 3 times a day instead of my normal 1 - 2. I already get full easily, called <strong>"early satiety"</strong>. I get full easily and will stay full all day. I would go plenty of days without eating at all which is why I brought up the option to do this surgery since the smaller portions would help me not feel as malnourished. Plus why be this big when I barely eat and my doctor agreed totally and signed me right up saying this would help. Now my nutritionist is trying to make me eat 3 times a day, with Snacks in between and says I have to quit smoking which I didn't mind at all, I was actually ready for that. So since I quit smoking and have been eating 3x daily, I have gained about 7lbs in the past 2 months and now she threatens me with additional visits before approval if I gain 1 more pound.... I feel sabotaged, what do I do, I can't eat this much and not gain weight...WHAT NOW?!?!?!?!?!? I feel hope slipping...smh

I think the first thing you need to do is be completely honest with yourself in regards to actual consumption of calories you take in. That is before quitting smoking and after...

you eat 1 to 2 meals a day or sometimes none. You also say you can eat very little before you feel satiated, very full,

If this information is true, How is the sleeve really going to help you?

I'm only gaining because she wanted me to stop smoking and eat 3 times a day instead of my normal 1 - 2. I already get full easily, called "early satiety". I get full easily and will stay full all day. I would go plenty of days without eating at all which is why I brought up the option to do this surgery since the smaller portions would help me not feel as malnourished. Plus why be this big when I barely eat and my doctor agreed totally and signed me right up saying this would help.

Just curious.....how big were your portions before? You're saying you get full easily, why get sleeved? How will smaller portions make you feel less malnourished? Less food equals less nourishment. I do not understand but I agree with Laura....if you can't eat much now, your problem is not food intake. Therefore the sleeve will do you no good. So why have it?

Have you had your thyroid checked? I don't know how smoking factors in to eating habits but I do know that before I even knew what hypothyroidism was, I already had it and before I was diagnosed (years later) I was never hungry and only ate when I started to feel dizzy and like I was going to faint. Yet, although I never ate I was still gaining weight and fairly fast! I gained 150 pounds in a little less than 12 years! That's just plain insane, especially when I hardly ever ate. Little did I know my metabolism went to hell thanks to my sluggish thyroid. So if you haven't already gotten your thyroid checked that might be something to look into. Good luck and I hope your NUT can help you turn things around instead of threatening to penalize you with something that might be out of your control.

I'm having surgery Friday. For me, I just had to get my head in the game. This is serious business, major surgery. You have to work at it. Yesterday, I was at Walmart. I walked in and all I could smell was McDonalds Breakfast burrito. I wanted it so bad. I thought to myself that no one would know. I walked away. I want better and I deserve better. I came home and had a Protein shake with PB2. You have to be honest with yourself. If you want this, it's up to you to achieve it. I'm committed 100%. I will succeed.

Good luck to you. Take a good long look at yourself. You gain weight by eating. I think we all know that, but it is hard to admit and change.

I think the first thing you need to do is be completely honest with yourself in regards to actual consumption of calories you take in. That is before quitting smoking and after...

you eat 1 to 2 meals a day or sometimes none. You also say you can eat very little before you feel satiated, very full,

If this information is true, How is the sleeve really going to help you?

I haven't been eating the best foods for me which is how I got into the habit of eating less because I couldn't seem to stick with the good for me foods. I only want the surgery to loose the weight, its Hell having no appetite or desire for food and to continue to be this big for no reason. My weight gain is not from an overeating issue, emotional issues or binging. I have another debilitating condition and with weight loss, I will be able to workout minimally and eating less will be now good for me. Plus hoping to get pregnant and learning to eat better is another plus that had escaped me as a young adult. I'm learning more everyday from you all!!

Are you eating healthy? I know is not easy.. but its a life style after surgery..Salads..vegetables..chicken..fish.. no fried food or sweets.. try not to eat bread..rice or Pasta. And you wont gain. Measure the food and log it in a calorie counter **** myfitnesspal. :)

No maam I wasn't eating eating good and always had trouble with Portion Control so I just ate less times per day but then as I tried to implement the changes...I felt like I was definitely eating better but it felt like I was eating more...and got kinda annoyed that she set my meds according to my meals so I won't skip meals and that causes me to force food when I'm not hungry at all. I'm glad I have about another 3 months to make the permanent changes...this is hard but not impossible.

Have you had your thyroid checked? I don't know how smoking factors in to eating habits but I do know that before I even knew what hypothyroidism was, I already had it and before I was diagnosed (years later) I was never hungry and only ate when I started to feel dizzy and like I was going to faint. Yet, although I never ate I was still gaining weight and fairly fast! I gained 150 pounds in a little less than 12 years! That's just plain insane, especially when I hardly ever ate. Little did I know my metabolism went to hell thanks to my sluggish thyroid. So if you haven't already gotten your thyroid checked that might be something to look into. Good luck and I hope your NUT can help you turn things around instead of threatening to penalize you with something that might be out of your control.

thank u sooo much, I needed a clue, I will ask if she checked my thyroid, u described exactly how I feel. I hate to eat, I'm never hungry and get full so easily. But I can gain weight so steadily. I felt she didn't understand that I stopped smoking too which I hear can add pounds and I quit cold turkey..that was easy..yuck, I been smoking so long and so sick of that too..but thanks for that advice, that excites me to just see someone that can relate.

Girl, I was told that they want me to lose 5 lbs before surgery. So what did I do? I have been food honeymooning (eating everything I can find that I will miss) instead and now I have to lose 7 lbs. At this rate, if I don't get a date, I'm gonna need to lose 10 - 15 lbs. I asked her about that and she said everyone does it. People are saying goodbye to the foods they like most. Like today, since I had a rough day at work, I want to go to my favorite place Taco Bell and chow down on an Extra Grilled Stuffed Burrito. I'm an emotional eater. I know this. This will be my challenge when I have the surgery for sure. So with that being said, do you follow your doctors rules by eating 3 meals per day and quit smoking or do you do what you do to make it to surgery?

I feel that I could easily do a liquid slim fast diet and drink a lot of Water and lose the 5lb that they want but I'm not willing to do that until I get approval from insurance or meet with the doctor for a date. Am I wrong by saying this? Maybe, but I know my body best.

Good Luck with your decision!

Now this is another issue I'm experiencing...there's some foods I want to get in before I can no longer touch them..but I'm only allowing a spoonfull or handfull..this ends for me after thanksgiving...then I have 3 months to focus completely on the necessary changes!! And yes, slim fast worked great for me, I lost 30lbs in 8wks. Good idea...lol. It would be nice to be approved then have to make all these adjustments...I'm just saying I will do whatever I need to in order to maintain my sleeve but geesh, give it to me first...LOL!!!

I'm having surgery Friday. For me, I just had to get my head in the game. This is serious business, major surgery. You have to work at it. Yesterday, I was at Walmart. I walked in and all I could smell was McDonalds Breakfast burrito. I wanted it so bad. I thought to myself that no one would know. I walked away. I want better and I deserve better. I came home and had a Protein Shake with PB2. You have to be honest with yourself. If you want this, it's up to you to achieve it. I'm committed 100%. I will succeed.

Good luck to you. Take a good long look at yourself. You gain weight by eating. I think we all know that, but it is hard to admit and change.

Good luck Friday!!!

Just curious.....how big were your portions before? You're saying you get full easily, why get sleeved? How will smaller portions make you feel less malnourished? Less food equals less nourishment. I do not understand but I agree with Laura....if you can't eat much now, your problem is not food intake. Therefore the sleeve will do you no good. So why have it?

Big portions were my main issue. The sleeve is for the weight loss and family history of diabetes and heart disease. From what I was told, my hunger hormone will be cut out and it should allow me to have smaller portions. To me smaller portions is what's "normal", I won't feel malnourished because I will only feed my new stomach only what's needed vs with my larger stomach being sometimes overfilled with bad food.

Plus doc says with the weight loss, we may also overturn my infertility issues. Been trying 15 years after my one and only was born...I believe this surgery will have many benefits on my behalf. And my selfish answer beyond my personal health benefits, I want to make my uncle eat his words he said to me at 17.." you're too pretty to be so fat" maybe now he will want to treat me like my other cousins but either way...he will still be irrelevant to me!! I do have my reasons!!!

I'm a meal skipper too. I'd go all day and then eat a huge meal for dinner Bc I'd let myself get too hungry. My nut has told me if I gain weight during my supervised visits that they'd extend me.

I was told that meal skipping needs to be nipped in the bud before surgery, as that cannot happen afterward. She said if I cannot stomach eating Breakfast that I am to have one Protein drink, then a small healthy meal of meat and veggies for lunch and dinner. If I get hungry, she listed a couple of snack I can have. Yogurt, low fat cottage cheese or a piece of fruit. This is to get me in the habit of eating how I'll be eating after surgery. It's hard. I've lost 10 pounds and my last visit is December 6. I try and tell myself that if I cannot stick to this, how am I gonna do my preop? I just wanted to let you know I totally feel where you're coming from.

April