Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Terrified Of Eating Out!

Had to go to 2 work dinners this week and was so anxious about the whole thing. Checked the menu in advance to make sure there was something I could eat at this stage. 1st place was fine but 2nd place had a limitied menu so had to order an entree and nibble on the mashed potatoes. Was anxious about eating so little, eating slowly and in both instances taking most of the food home, thankfully no one noticed/said a thing. It kinda made me sad to see people eating burgers, bread, having desert and not being able to eat. I mean I didn't want it but felt sad. I now dread eating out and don't think eating out socially will be fun anymore.

I still eat out with my family a lot! I just make sure to pick things that are high in protein- can't go wrong with a grilled chicken salad; shrimp fajitas (without tortillas and no rice); chili from Wendy's by the way is delicious; eating refried beans; having Breakfast for dinner yum! Some eggs with bacon! I've just learned how to order healthier choices, but eating out is not a problem for me- now eating and drinking at the same time is a problem- I really miss being able to eat and drink at the same time; don't stop living!

"It kinda made me sad to see people eating burgers, bread, having desert and not being able to eat. I mean I didn't want it but felt sad. I now dread eating out and don't think eating out socially will be fun anymore."

Sorry about this.

Eating out DOES change. It's more about the people and setting you are with (and in). BUT it is still fun. Just focus on Protein, maybe the appetizer menu. We all are working on our "fat heads and fat brains"

I would eat out 4-5 times a week. I loved to order salads and sandwiches, but unfortunately I can't have lettuce or Tomato yet which is a real bummer. I also miss eating and drinking, probably more than any particular food item. The problem is by the time I'm done eating my protein-heavy meal, I am sooo thirsty. Waiting 20-30 minutes to drink something seems like an eternity sometimes and then I have to sip it when all I want to do is chug it! Looking so forward to my first salad, I hope I can tolerate the lettuce so I can have one every day :)

The not being able to drink and eat thing is brutal when you move to soft foods because sometimes the food sits on your chest before going down and it can be extremely uncomfortable waiting it out. Still trying to figure it out and have been avoiding eating out as I figure out what I can and cant tolerate. Would hate to throw up at a restaurant.

I was so bummed out for the first month after my surgery because I was regularly going out to eat at least 1-3 times a week pre-surgery. I decided not to even tempt myself that early on, especially because I was on full liquids and purees until a month out. But I promise that eating out does get better! My husband and I go out at least once a week and then I usually go out once more with a friend or while I'm at work. Once you're cleared to eat everything it gets so much easier! Until then, if you have to go out, try and focus on Soups or order sides or appetizers so it's a smaller portion. Good luck!

Eating out through the stages is tough. I just had the broth from chicken Soup and a side of mashed potatoes the other night. It felt strange to me, but I don't think anyone else noticed.

I'm just sleeved so I'm not going out any time soon. My sleeved friend gave me great advice. She said to look up the menu before going out. Then find exactly what you want and know what you can eat/ tolerate. That way you know in advance what to get and you can look forward to your meal.

Her favorite thing is a shrimp Louis. She eats all the shrimp and then a little of the salad. Sounds perfect to me.

My husband and I will share meals. He thinks he will lose weight. A "two for the price of one" kind of deal. Lol

And who cares If others notice how little you eat? This is all about me/us/you! Don't be a hermit.

This passes, and more quickly than you think. I still enjoy eating our regularly. Sometimes I order my own small meal or Soup, sometimes I share an entree with my husband or one of my kids and sometimes I just get an appetizer to eat from then share around. It's difficult when you're healing and on a very restricted diet but that's a very short while compared to the rest of your life.

On the other hand, take time to enjoy the company and conversation. Socializing does not have to revolve around food - this was hard for me, because I didn't realize how many of our social rituals really DO center around food. But after a bit you'll find you're out for an evening with friends, enjoying their company and doing it without overindulging and focusing on food. Because it's now so inexpensive to dine out, we actually find ourselves doing it more often than before!

~Cheri

Loved eating out before and after my sleeve (was also banded for almost 4 yrs prior to revision).

I may get blasted for this but I eat whatever I want. Anything and everything. The only thing I've found is a no no is ice cream. Im a slow learner so I've tried it 5x and every single time I get stomach cramps. The last time I was begging God to get me thru it and Id never eat ice cream again.

I still eat burgers Iabout 1/3 of an In and Out Burger), pizza (1/2 normal slice), tacos (3/4 of a Del Taco chicken taco), sandwiches (1/3 of a small Quiznos sub), and buffets (yes, I said it, a buffet). Thank God I can only eat a small amt of food (maybe 6-8 bites of any given meal) so I'm slowly losing. That was my goal of wls, to never diet again. Not eating certain foods seems like dieting to me.

Every restaurant (even greasy spoons) has something on there u can eat. I just noticed that ur only 4 weeks out. That changes everything. Forget what I just said (not really, otherwise I would've edited it :) ) I was still on full liquids at 4 weeks. While I did eat out a few times during this time, it wasn't as easy as it is now (4 mths post). Any restaurant will blend a Soup for u (Red Robins clam chowder is yummy thru a blender) and if ur really adventurous, u can ask for anything put thru the blender. They may not recommend pizza in the blender but if ur willing, why not?

Like I said, I luv eating out. I eat out 4-7 times a week. Brunch is my fav meal out. Good luck to u

I applaud you for doing it your way and being so close to your goal! I think what you outline sounds ideal - eat the foods you want, just very small portions. Do you adhere to the Don't drink while eating rule?

I applaud you for doing it your way and being so close to your goal! I think what you outline sounds ideal - eat the foods you want, just very small portions. Do you adhere to the Don't drink while eating rule?

I was a lapbander for 3 1/2 yrs prior to being sleeved and drinking while eating caused me to vomit, every single time. So I got used to the not drinking while eating rule and it's no longer difficult. in fact, I'm still a little fearful of vomiting so thats probly the main reason I don't do it. Even tho there's no structural reason why I can't (it's not like I have a lapband in the way) I still have a fear of vomiting.

So no, I don't drink until I feel it's settled in (I can feel when I'm ready to drink and u will 2 when u get used to it. It's usually 30-45 minutes later). Hard to do with spicy foods, so I may suck on an ice cube if I've eaten something really spicy.