Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Going To Mexico Alone

I'm scheduled to have my gastric sleeve on January 6,2014 with Dr. Elias Ortiz at Mi hospital. I will be going alone and I'm really nervous about it.

I didn't go to that doctor, but I went to Dr. Aceves in MX by myself and I was glad I did. I didn't have anyone else to worry about. I think if I had someone with me, I would worry they would be bored while I was laying in bed.

I had no problems. They pick you up at the airport and take you to the hospital and everyone there takes good care of you.

Hi OregonDaisy. I didn't come to Mexico alone (I'm here now) but you meet so many people and the staff take good care of you. I think you be fine. Good luck!

That was for Shungsleeve, This is what Happens when I'm posting at 5a!

No worries OP, I too went to Tijuana Mexico alone and it was no problem. Lots of patients to meet and everyone was terrific, best of luck to you, New You New Year!!

I have a different point of view on that now. I have travelled a lot, am outspoken when I need to be, and know a thing or two about health issues (been an RN for 30+ years, ACLS, etc). I was very well taken care of by the driver, my coordinators, and at the hotel. My surgeon was very good and I knew I could count on him to take good care of me.

The hospital was a different matter though. I had ridiculous issues with apathy and downright bad care with some of the nurses. My call light broke the first night post op. My nurse (one of the good ones) immediately called engineering and got me a new one that worked. The next night, same thing. My call light mysteriously quit working around 11 or 12 midnight. I told both nurses who were working with me of it. One just stared at me, the other sounded very concerned and asked me to make sure I called if I needed anything at all. I reminded him my call light did not work. Nothing was done, and these 2 staff both had English sufficient enough to understand what I was saying. Even if not, the sight of me picking up the call light, repeatedly pushing on it and nothing happens would be something you would understand without any words.

I was really sick, weak, nauseous and also penned into the room by a tall IV pole (the doorways drop a large distance from the ceiling and the IV pole was too tall to pass through). I tried to lower it or transfer the iv bags to a shorter pole in the room but the pole was too high and the dial on it had been set by a brute. I could not loosen it to bring it down. So in the middle of the night, about to puke, could not see my emesis basin - I was left with the choice of puking all over and having it sit til morning or yelling like a crazy woman for help. I yelled. Finally the nurse came in, and gave me my pan. I think if I had had a companion who could have borne witness to it they would not have felt comfortable acting this way. I have talked to others who came alone who also were treated less than decently.

That morning I told my coordinator & the surgeon what had happened. I also pointed out to Nissi that I couldn't leave the room the way the IV pole was adjusted. The call light magically started working again by the time she showed up. Someone must have crept in and replaced it with one that worked, or reinserted the batteries. Still not golden though, I put the call light on for help and then it would be quickly shut off and no one would check on me.

I had problems with that nurse the night before - when I asked her to empty my drain because it was full, no vaccuum on it any longer and was starting to leak around the drain. She looked at it and told me it was fine. I told her in no uncertain terms that it was not fine, it needed to be emptied and if there was no vacuum on it, it would not drain. She emptied & then left without a word. She had to have known better. There were many other small problems, but to me the one with being ignored by the staff was inexcusable.

I should have brought someone with me. I did speak up but really you are at the mercy of the staff when you are weak and fresh post op, extremely nauseated as I was. Some of the nurses were good also, very friendly and more than willing to help. You just don't know who will be assigned to you, the nurse can make it or break it. Also, the nurses who took care of me did not wear name tags. I was nearly given meds I am not supposed to have - which my surgeon insisted would not be prescribed. So are they just giving meds with no order? I asked each time what I was being given, and twice had to refuse meds I was not supposed to have. The paper above my bed did not list any of my allergies. I got a rash from the telfa pads, if I had read the packaging I would have seen that I should not have had these bandages. They have latex in them.

If you do stick with this hospital, and have no one traveling with you - make sure you at least have the phone number of your driver & coordinator so you can call someone if butts need to be kicked. That's my 2 cents.

This probably is a stupid question, but what do you do with tour wallet, phone, passport, etc when you are in surgery?

Wow, Chihuahua Mom, that all sounds pretty icky and very believable. I think your idea to be SURE to have the # of someone to whom they are accountable is EXCELLENT. So sorry you went thru this :).

Regarding "stuff" I've heard minimize what you bring & then consider a locking suitcase in back of closet. Or some hospitals have a safe.,,

Yes see if there is a lockbox and use it. My money was stolen from my wallet at the hospital that I was at...:(

There was a safe in my hospital room that I put my passport & wallet into. I left my purse with other belongings in it, my phone & netbook out. Nothing disappeared, and I told one of the nurses my pin when I needed something out of my safe quickly & wasn't well enough to get up. I had no trouble with things disappearing at least.

I am (most likely) going to the same doctor as you are and am also traveling alone. I haven't made my appointment yet because I am so scared to undertake a long trip, navigate three airports and the hospital, have a major surgery, and then travel back to the eastern US. I love to travel. I don't mind airports or flying. It is doing all of that after surgery that I am worried about.

I've read a hundred of these 'going to Mexico alone' posts and for the most part everyone has had a positive experience. Please Please Please keep us updated about your experiences. And good luck!!

Oh goodness, so sorry to hear all of this. I was sleeved in Mexico with Dr Alvarez on Nov 11 I am not quite 2weeks out. I had no problems with the nurses or staff. They were with me 100 % nothing missing, always available. I also had no drains. My incisions look like a plastic surgeon did them . I am doing great, no issues or problems. Get 90 grams Protein and 64 oz Fluid in daily. He is with Endobariatric.com and does obesity chat and youtube videos with others telling their experience. Go look! Good luck