Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

It seems like everyday is a struggle.

Everyday I feel like I regret having this sleeve done. I see everyone enjoying food like I used to. My husband, family and friends eating whatever they want whenever they choose to. This makes me feel very upset. Just the mere smell of taco bell sparks feelings of hopelessness and regret. Is this normal? Does anyone else feel the same way or felt the same way? Is this just a phase I am going through? It seems like I am so depressed lately that I do not want to do anything including go to work. Not as if I wanted to go to work before but that's a different story. I feel like I convince myself that it will get better. That eventually I will be able to enjoy a burrito maybe not the whole thing but I think its more mental and emotional I guess. It is very hard to deal with reality when I cannot mask it with food anymore. Does anyone have a similar story that is farther out than 2 weeks?

Everyday I feel like I regret having this sleeve done. I see everyone enjoying food like I used to. My husband' date=' family and friends eating whatever they want whenever they choose to. This makes me feel very upset. Just the mere smell of taco bell sparks feelings of hopelessness and regret. Is this normal? Does anyone else feel the same way or felt the same way? Is this just a phase I am going through? It seems like I am so depressed lately that I do not want to do anything including go to work. Not as if I wanted to go to work before but that's a different story. I feel like I convince myself that it will get better. That eventually I will be able to enjoy a burrito maybe not the whole thing but I think its more mental and emotional I guess. It is very hard to deal with reality when I cannot mask it with food anymore. Does anyone have a similar story that is farther out than 2 weeks?[/quote']

Yes, I felt this way at about 4 months. The excitement of losing quickly had worn off and there were lots of social activities going on - all of which had previously been associated with large amounts of food. I just posted my thoughts on this board and got lots of support here. At 4 months (I'm 5 months now) you can eat a lot more than early on, so for me it's harder now because it has to be a choice. But, the choice thing is lifelong so it's something to teach yourself early on. Trust me, you will be able to eat just about everything later. Hang in there!

It's very normal, I'm feeling it a little bit during the pre op. Some times had been hard, but I think about how miserable I was before I had this light of hope in VSG surgery. I believe I have an addiction to food, which just means I use it to change the way I'm feeling, or numb what I'm feeling. I have had some other addictions as well, so I'm fairly familiar with this condition. This is like an 80% inside job thing. We always think fixing something on the outside is going to fix or fill the hole on the inside. It isn't. If we don't address the thinking, we will just find something else to use. I get a lot out of bariatric support groups, a psychologist, a psychiatrist, and the rooms of Narcotics Anonymous. Anyway, get some outside support. The solution is spiritual in nature. (that does NOT mean religious). Good luck!

Hey , I went through the same things . Hang in there !! Really I mean it . I was sleeved 6 months ago and it had changed my life . It was hard at first don't get me wrong . I missed food so much ! I would cry at the drop of a hat . Angry at what I had done for a while . But, once I started to eat soft then normal foods then I realized there wasn't anything I couldn't have but just in small amounts . I had one small miniature 3 musketeers for Halloween and that's all I wanted. I am not going to deprive myself but eat well and allow myself occasional treat. I have lost over 70 lbs including my pre- op . Message me if you need support !

I haven't had my surgery yet (this tuesday) but I had to do a psych eval to get cleared for the hospital. The psychologist said it's normal to go through a grieving process because your relationship with food has changed. It sounds like that is kind of what you're going through. Try figuring out what you need your family and close friends to do to support you and make it easier on you then ask them. They may surprise you!

I hope it gets better soon. Good luck!

I haven't had my surgery yet (this tuesday) but I had to do a psych eval to get cleared for the hospital. The psychologist said it's normal to go through a grieving process because your relationship with food has changed. It sounds like that is kind of what you're going through. Try figuring out what you need your family and close friends to do to support you and make it easier on you then ask them. They may surprise you!

I hope it gets better soon. Good luck!

I also had a psych eval prior to surgery but my comfort zone was so strong and I guess I went for food for everything and I never realized it. As for trying to figure out what I need to help me through this I haven't figured it out yet. It feels like I am stuck in this rut. I keep hearing from everyone that it gets better and that is what my husband keeps telling me but hard to see a light at the end of this tunnel.

For ME, I found that being able to SMELL a favorite food satisfied me more than ever eating it did. Co-workers would bring in a bag of fast food and I'd ask if I could smell the bag. ;) Seriously.

I don't think I've ever been in tears over not being able to eat a previously-favorite food. Knowing that eventually I might be able to try it kept those feelings at bay. Then again some of the crap that I used to like really is just crap. You WILL be able to eat most of your favorite foods, it all depends on what your sleeve likes. Some of your favorites may actually totally be a turn off when you try them. For me, it was eggs. I used to love a good scrambled egg. It's taken a good year for that to be an acceptable food for my sleeve. My sleeve now LOVES grilled fish. I could eat it before, but it wasn't a craving like it is now.

I think this is all part of the success of the sleeve (or almost any of the weight loss surgeries). You really do have to start at square one again. Some foods that you are allowed to eat don't sit well today, but might tomorrow. Now, instead of barely even thinking of what we are shoving in our mouth PRE-SURGERY, we have to analyze the nutrition content POST-SURGERY. Does it have enough Protein to even make it worthwhile? I still focus on my Protein intake. If I don't, I know I won't get enough.

Yes, I get bored and lonely! food was good company. (Before that, booze was good company!) I actually missed the booze more than I miss food. Perhaps because I was EXPECTING to notice the loss of food having experienced the same emotion when I stopped drinking. What I do now is keep very busy. Exploring new hobbies (soap making!), reading heaps of novels. Joined a service club. Went to night classes. Reconnected with people I haven't seen in a while. Trying on shoes in the shoe shop - I'm going to wear killer heels when I'm thin. It is normal to feel sad - we have all "lost" a good friend in food, something we all turned to at emotional times in our lives. I am only 3 weeks out. Only feel "regret" very fleetingly. I'm working on finding other things that hit my "happy button". Good luck!

Psychiatrist told me, if you're addicted to food, as most of us overweight people tend to be. You must find some other activity to occupy your mind, body and soul, especially, if food has been your comfort zone for a long time. He said, the surgery alone can't cure what ails you, it is only a tool. I was told if I can't make the mental switch or have severe problems mentally adjusting (because as he states it isn't physical anymore) then I should continue to see him and the NUT, until I can. If that is not feasible for you, can you join a local support group, the boards are great, but can you physically go to a support group? My surgery isn't scheduled until December but i've been going to the support group meetings consistently since I decided to get the surgery. Here they are held twice a month and they've been great, lots of new sleevers and older ones with a vast amount of information and help to offer. It also helps me get out of the house and takes food off my mind. Joining the gym also has helped.

Good Luck!!

Though I haven't felt that way yet I would not be surprised if I go through what you are going through eventually. I think it is entirely normal because you are making such a drastic change to your habits and life. Just try to keep in mind WHY you did this to begin with. I think it is safe to say that everyone who has this surgery love their food and love to eat, but too much of anything is bad for you. You aren't totally breaking up with food, you just need to modify your relationship a bit!

It amazes me how much we all have in common here. Yes, I too have felt all these things.

I am almost 3 weeks out. This week was hard bc I came to stay with my mother who keeps a kitchen stocked with food and cooks amazing meals every evening. My whole life I have taken comfort from her food. And when I have dieted, it was always a deeply emotional effort to keep from eating her cooking, especially in my teens and 20s. And here I am at 39 & 1/2 years old feeling it all over again.

BUT, I took my daughter to the zoo this week, and we walked around for hours. I felt healthier than I have in so long! Then a few days later I took her to the mall and walked some more. It felt great! I took her trick or treating, and had a blast walking with her. Today, we walked outside collecting sticks and pretty magnolia stems. It was bliss.

I am starting to feel WONDERFUL!!! I predict you are going to start feeling great too soon!

K

This is the whole reason I logged on today. Taco Bell is my favorite! I'm having a really hard day. I'm almost 7 weeks post op and I feel fatter than ever. Its cold, there's a fire going, I'm at my moms and she's cooking and I desperately want to eat with my family. Its just awful. I'm not losing weight as fast as I thought I would either, so that just makes it worse. I ate a few bites of cake earlier too and now I feel bad about that. :(

This is the whole reason I logged on today. Taco Bell is my favorite! I'm having a really hard day. I'm almost 7 weeks post op and I feel fatter than ever. Its cold' date=' there's a fire going, I'm at my moms and she's cooking and I desperately want to eat with my family. Its just awful. I'm not losing weight as fast as I thought I would either, so that just makes it worse. I ate a few bites of cake earlier too and now I feel bad about that. :([/quote']

At 7 weeks you should be able to eat solids now right? A few bites of cake is nothing. Lol look at me being supportive :/

Yes, I can eat pretty much anything - which I havent decided yet if that's a blessing or a curse. I've never thrown up. Nothing has ever made me sick. So that makes me super scared of a few bites of cake. :(

Six buttons, you could be my foodie twin :). I'm almost 3 months out and I miss junk food. I started out at 410, so I thought ir would fall off, but it hasn't. Trying to come to terms that I'm a slow loser. Most times I can handle it last night I lost it and at probably 7-8 mini candy bars. Afterwards I was so depressed I couldn't stand myself. Deja vu. I slept late this morning and got up behind on my Water. And my weight was up too. Depressing. I've been moping around all day and I'm hungry. Gotta shake this. I feel better just writing this down. Just call me Scarlettbecause tomorrow is another day :)