Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

.....things my NUT says

Ya.. She's nuts alright. Not solid science either. Our guideline are simple and basic. Protein first, protein first, protein first, then non starchy verges, then fruit 1-2 servings, then healthy oils and nuts. The starchy verges are added back as we lose weight and the breads/cereals/flours...well it's suggested that those be put off until we have lost the weight we need/want to lose. Once the weight is gone, add it back in one at a time. Protein goal for a sleeve is 60gms per day for women and 80 grams for men....now if I'm busting my butt exercising, I can increase the protein. The carb guideline is 60- 80 grams per day during the serious weight loss phase. This will increase as time goes on. fruit juice is not favored as it is very high in sugars...but Soup, chili, etc...bring it on. In fact add unflavored protein if you need and extra protein boost. If we stay in those guidelines....the world is mine. I do track my food using My Fitness Pal.....It keeps me honest and informed so I'm not playing any head games...

I am nearly 2 years out and at goal. What I found is always focus in Protein and veggies and small portions and the rest falls in place. While I do advocate low/moderate carbs since I needed that to get to goal some carbs are needed and healthy.

Berries and Greek yogurt...healthy carbs...

Donuts and chips..not so much. Not only is junkie food very very high carb it really adds no positive nutrition...no bang for your carb buck. Worst part for me is it triggers hunger and cycle of wanting to eat whereas moderate quantities of healthy carbs do not.

So, don't imagine that us low carb advocates mean NO carbs because you need carbs for energy.

I have seen the nut at the Dr office once. She gave me the nook and said to read it. I saw the one at the hospital. ..twice. ..she was nice and explained everything. When I go for follow ups at the dr office...I see him or his assistant. They ask if I'm ok...and that's it. Ugh! He is a great dr...but his team sucks.

I have seen the nut at the Dr office once. She gave me the nook and said to read it. I saw the one at the hospital. ..twice. ..she was nice and explained everything. When I go for follow ups at the dr office...I see him or his assistant. They ask if I'm ok...and that's it. Ugh! He is a great dr...but his team sucks.

It doesn't matter how good the doc is if the team...the ones who will carry you to success sucks. I just wonder about those guys...if they are just doing the surgeries cuz it's easy money. This a permanent body change and you /we need that ongoing follow up with a team that can answer questions and help guide along the sometimes bumpy road. When they report failure statistics, people who have not had the support available to them are three times likely to fail and regain. Hang with us girl....we will keep on straight

That's why I do my research and stay on the boards. I am disappointed in that part of my surgical team. They also haven't done any blood work or follow up there. My internist is mad about that. He believes they should be watching my levels. Idk..I think I'm glad its him bc he knows me better. Just disappointed. .but not letting it get me down! 48 lbs gone in 14 weeks! 25 more to go!

I think that during the first 3 to 6 months every VSG patient should comply fully with all the guidelines from their NUT. This is for your health and safety, and there's simply no excuse for not complying. The fact that some other surgeons let their patients have pureed foods at two weeks out and your surgeon makes you wait four weeks is not enough reason for you to override your surgeons/NUTs requirements.

Once you are further out, then things become more flexible. I think you should still comply with all things they put forth that relate to health and safety, such as drinking enough fluids, consuming enough Protein, and Vitamins, etc. For the other types of things I think you should try to conform to what your NUT asks for the most part. If there are things that are particularly burdensome to you, such as not drinking coffee, and if most other programs allow you to do that then you have to make the decision if you are going to do that or not. If you make that decision, then you should do it after you make yourself fully aware of why the rule was put in place, and what the tradeoffs are for not following that rule. You should not override the NUTs advice simply because you feel it is burdensome and you don't want to follow it. In other word, only go against your NUTs advice if you fully understand what you are doing. And only go against your NUTs advice in a few areas.

On the other hand, you can try to find another NUT that is more compatible with you.

I think that during the first 3 to 6 months every VSG patient should comply fully with all the guidelines from their NUT. This is for your health and safety' date=' and there's simply no excuse for not complying. The fact that some other surgeons let their patients have pureed foods at two weeks out and your surgeon makes you wait four weeks is not enough reason for you to override your surgeons/NUTs requirements. Once you are further out, then things become more flexible. I think you should still comply with all things they put forth that relate to health and safety, such as drinking enough fluids, consuming enough Protein, and Vitamins, etc. For the other types of things I think you should try to conform to what your NUT asks for the most part. If there are things that are particularly burdensome to you, such as not drinking coffee, and if most other programs allow you to do that then you have to make the decision if you are going to do that or not. If you make that decision, then you should do it after you make yourself fully aware of why the rule was put in place, and what the tradeoffs are for not following that rule. You should not override the NUTs advice simply because you feel it is burdensome and you don't want to follow it. In other word, only go against your NUTs advice if you fully understand what you are doing. And only go against your NUTs advice in a few areas. On the other hand, you can try to find another NUT that is more compatible with you.[/quote']

I couldn't have said it better! I look at my goals. I know what I has doing before and clearly it wasn't working. When you do what you always did...your gonna get what you always got. I now have a chance to do it right. Even if my NUT said I could eat or drink something and I know that I can't.....then I won't. I have to be honest with me...

She just baffled me

"You can eat pretty much anything you want kid- just make smart choices" then BAM she throws this list out there and I'm like ??? Your making all my choices for me now, how am I supposed to make the sleeve work for me and my lifestyle if I can't enjoy a bowl of Cereal with my kids on Saturday morning (and I JUST bought a kashi high Protein cereal!!)

I get it though I do. I've made lots and lots of changes and lots and lots of sacrifices in the past 12 weeks I guess someone throwing down a food "bible" at me and telling me to abide it all really yanks and my heart strings. I want to be accountable for working my sleeve...

that food bible and bible thumping is my biggest fear....I do follow my doc/nuts guidelines, but I also use my common sense. I was very tired and lethargic the first few weeks....this past week or so I have increased my carbs a bit and my losses have been steady and I feel better....I'm not going hog wild, but a slice of bread a day or a few crackers hasn't hurt me any.....I am not advocating that for anyone but me...it's my body and I am taking my own risks....but each of us is individual...the docs/nuts have to go by the rule not the exceptions. And I know I am an exception...I always am.