Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Does anybody consume any alcohol post op?

Im writing on behalf of my husband as we were both recently sleeved..... He knows beer could be a bad idea bc of carbination, but wonders about alcohol. he understands that alcohol could slow weight loss, but is only concerned with it being detrimental to his healing. He does not drink daily but likes to drink to excess at special events ie. weddings, BIG sporting events... and if you do/ did drink- how soon after surgery?

This was always my main question and my surgeon said no beer but after 5-6 months you can introduce hard liquor, however he said it will take much less to get drunk because the alcohol is immediately absorbed into the body.

Every dr is different. mine said at 6 weeks, I could have a small amt of alcohol. I drink about 3oz of red wine about 4-6x a week. Had a sip off hubbys beer a few days ago (3 mths out) and that was enuf for me. I do miss a Corona Light on a hot day.

Yes, we're not sposed to have beer ever again. That being said, as I said I had a sip of hubbys. had a sip of his diet Coke last week and the world didn't come to an end. I would never drink more than a sip tho. Too scared of what would happen....

Not sure he should be drinking to excess however, no matter how far out he is...

I know my surgeon's rules were "no drinking for one year post-op" but he also acknowledged that was the number one most commonly broken rule. And not to be holier-than-thou but I did it. I did NOT drink alcohol for one year post-op and my husband is sleeved and he also made the one year mark.

Obviously it wasn't incredibly hard for me to give it up, and even one year post-op the glass of wine that I had hit me pretty hard (now I'm a lightweight.) I'm not saying you have to do what I did, but I'm just saying that it can be done.

I still rarely drink, maybe a couple of times a year at parties, weddings, dinner groups, etc. but just be careful because alcohol does have a harder effect on the post-sleeve body.

And for the carbonation...I never drink anything carbonated. It has been over 3 years since I had anything with carbonation.

Husband will occasionally have a beer but he is 2.5 years post-op as well...

My doc said 6 weeks and was most concerned with calories and carbs than the alcohol itself. One of my fav pasttimes was being "overserved" margaritas on Girls Night Out. I went out with my friends recently and drank a margarita - nursed for over an hour (because I wasnt sure how it would affect me) and all it did was give me a headache.

Edited by TvlGrl712

Im writing on behalf of my husband as we were both recently sleeved..... He knows beer could be a bad idea bc of carbination, but wonders about alcohol. he understands that alcohol could slow weight loss, but is only concerned with it being detrimental to his healing. He does not drink daily but likes to drink to excess at special events ie. weddings, BIG sporting events... and if you do/ did drink- how soon after surgery?

Empty calories, and high in calories. I do have a non carbonated alcoholic drink every so often, maybe once a month, but I did not have one until I reached goal, I reached goal in six months and had a mixed drink at about fourteen months out. I hope this helps. My doctor said a year, some say six months. I'd err on the side of caution, but I'd also follow YOUR doctor's plan.

Decide if drinking is really something you want to do. As a post op, I went through a short lived phase between month 4-6, having a drink a couple times a month. Yes, it was a little nice to relax with it. However, desire for it has since vanished. None whatsoever. Maybe most people drink post op just because they were not allowed to do it after surgery. Again, think about what drinking really means to you at a coping level, whether that means coping in social events or coping with your own subconscious. You may find that you really do not need it and, then, will find out you really do not want it. Sugar is kind of in a similar boat as alcohol post op. Complex id stuff to think about, but it might help. One of the best artifacts for me personally as a post VSG is coming to grips with who I am and not what I think others want me to be.

I didn't drink at all during the weight loss phase.

Now that I am in maintenance, it is part of my overall plan... meaning, I don't do it often, I don't consume much, but when I do - I enjoy it. Some people have ice creams, but that is a horrible trigger for me, but a nice martini or a glass of red wine - I can stop at one and be just fine waiting another few weeks or even months for the next one.

I have a very good friend that i meet every once in awhile for a happy hour. We have a drink and share seafood appetizers. It is a good time, and I enjoy the social aspects very much.

I do not drink beer - too much fizz

I don't drink on an empty stomach - since being sleeved, booze can hit you HARD, be careful

I don't drink excessively - watch for addiction transference. I never had a drinking problem, but since giving up overeating, I watch all habits closely to be sure I am not slipping into an unhealthy pattern (shopping, drinking, etc etc)

My doc said I'm good 4 weeks out to drink alcohol.

I drink beer and really any alcohol. Yes" you get buzzed very fast-be careful. I hate drinking a lot now because I have had a few black out moments-and made a huge ass out of myself. I had to learn what is my new amount that I can drink and be ok. I drank 6 beers the other night. I only drink on a Friday or Saturday. I hooe that im not stretching my sleeve out but beer was all that was avail at the time.

Im writing on behalf of my husband as we were both recently sleeved..... He knows beer could be a bad idea bc of carbination' date=' but wonders about alcohol. he understands that alcohol could slow weight loss, but is only concerned with it being detrimental to his healing. He does not drink daily but likes to drink to excess at special events ie. weddings, BIG sporting events... and if you do/ did drink- how soon after surgery?[/quote']

I haven't drank yet but my doc office said if I was going to drink then make it Vodka with crystal light

I tried wine at 4 weeks out made me naseaus! I tried the starberry and peach margarita those ready to go pouches this weekend at 5 weeks out nd they went down so mooth i loooovveeee!!! Beer but its not gonna be a part of my life anymore i dont want to drink Anythin carbonated i take a super small sip just for taste when i get my hubby one but thts it im glad i gound those margarita pouches though they are 5%alcohol nd i got the light margaritas with less calories i tried a piña colada 6% alcohol nd it was too strong on my tummy