Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

A good friend of mine is doing well recovering from some substance abuse issues, but I'm not sure at what point i should tell him he's ready for VSG....what do you guys think?

He has a "sponsor" and seems to be working the 12-step program well, but I'd hate to see anything bad happen to him...

I'm not sure how you could actually make a determination of when he's ready for VSG. Seems to me that if he wants to undergo a big life step such as this, he would need to work closely with a psych and/or a substance abuse counselor & make a plan for coping with the challenges. Be his friend & support his efforts, but let him figure out when he's ready. :)

I agree with SouthernSoul. Making the decision is a job for your friend with the guidance of a good mental health professional. Just being supportive and willing to listen are the best things a friend can do when someone is working through a major life decision. Your friend is lucky to have you. It sounds like you really want to do your best to help.

I am a recovering addict, and my drug of choice is opiates. I have over 3 years clean and in recovery, and this was a concern of mine as well. I am more concerned with taking pain medication, since I haven't taken anything for over 3 years, and will have to while in the hospital (im assuming). I am not planning on taking any narcotics home on prescription. Once i'm discharged from the hospital, that is it for the pain meds. I have a support system of people also in recovery and I still go to meetings regularly. I also attend weekly bariatric support groups.

I'm not sure what makes you think it's your business to tell your friend he is or is not ready to have wls. I would be pretty annoyed if one of my friends, who is not an addict or expert in addiction, tried to tell me I am not ready for the surgery. As long as your friend is running his decisions by someone he trusts, just try to be supportive. He may actually be in a better position to deal with the long term consequences of wls, since he knows he has addictive behaviors and can take steps to deal with them. I think a lot of people get blind sided by the aftermath of wls, and realizing their relationship with food was addictive. Many of these people turn to alcohol or other substances to cope with their feelings.

I am not sure exactly what I'm trying to say here, but this post really annoyed me.

I am a recovering addict' date=' and my drug of choice is opiates. I have over 3 years clean and in recovery, and this was a concern of mine as well. I am more concerned with taking pain medication, since I haven't taken anything for over 3 years, and will have to while in the hospital (im assuming). I am not planning on taking any narcotics home on prescription. Once i'm discharged from the hospital, that is it for the pain meds. I have a support system of people also in recovery and I still go to meetings regularly. I also attend weekly bariatric support groups.

I'm not sure what makes you think it's your business to tell your friend he is or is not ready to have wls. I would be pretty annoyed if one of my friends, who is not an addict or expert in addiction, tried to tell me I am not ready for the surgery. As long as your friend is running his decisions by someone he trusts, just try to be supportive. He may actually be in a better position to deal with the long term consequences of wls, since he knows he has addictive behaviors and can take steps to deal with them. I think a lot of people get blind sided by the aftermath of wls, and realizing their relationship with food was addictive. Many of these people turn to alcohol or other substances to cope with their feelings.

I am not sure exactly what I'm trying to say here, but this post really annoyed me.[/quote']

I agree, I have heard a lot of people switch their addiction of choice. I worry because food is my drug. I'm sure as long as the persons are open and honest with their Dr. They will insure everyone will have the support system in place to make WLS successful. Bottom line the DR makes that call!

I am a recovering addict' date=' and my drug of choice is opiates. I have over 3 years clean and in recovery, and this was a concern of mine as well. I am more concerned with taking pain medication, since I haven't taken anything for over 3 years, and will have to while in the hospital (im assuming). I am not planning on taking any narcotics home on prescription. Once i'm discharged from the hospital, that is it for the pain meds.[/quote']

My mom had an addiction to prescription drugs. After coming to terms with her addiction and getting into recovery, when she had anything going on that would normally include prescription pain meds, she requested non-narcotic versions. There always seemed to be something avail me tonnage her pain without addictive properties.

Pardon the mistype -- it's late at night and I'm typing in the dark on a tiny phone. And then autocorrect -- we all know how helpful that is. :/. I meant to say there was always something available to manage her pain that didn't have addictive properties. She just had to ask.

*available to manage, not avail me tonnage. That was an unexpected autocorrect.

You can't make that determination. That's why we have to have a psych eval (assuming he's honest with where he is in his recovery).