Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Left shoulder pain problem

Does anyone still have left shoulder pain or has ever experience that??? I was told it was gas pains but that was after surgery & then after that they said it was a nerve that was near the band that sends signals to the brain when we're full. Seems like every morning I am waking up w/ it & sometimes feel that if when I'm eating and I start getting full. I went for my fill yesterday and they would not give me a fill because I was complaining about the shoulder pain The nurse said I had a go see a cardiologist & I was like WTH it's not chest pains it's shoulder pain that goes away the same pain after surgery and the same pain that I've explained to the nurse and they told me about the nerve that was there and this nurse looked at me like she didn't know what I was talking about so she did not give me a fill. I understand when she heard me complain about my left shoulder pain she was concerned & just a precaution to see the cardiologist but just wondering if anyone else have this problem???

Actually, I think it's great your surgeon's office are sending you to a cardiologist. Some people do have the shoulder pain issue because of their band, however way too often people assume everything is band related and miss major health issues because of it. It's a good thing your surgeon isn't assuming it's band related.

Sounds like your physician is careful.. I would rather have that than one who just ignores your symptoms.. I agree with Missy sometimes there is a issue that is not band related.. Take Care and hopefully it will be resolved ...

I am about 8 months post op and I still have left shoulder pain. I tried to explain this to my doctor, who is also a band patient, when I went in for my last fill. He said he experiences this as well when he eats to much and there is stress on the band. The weird thing is and what I couldn't seem to get him to understand is that I experience this when I am extremely hungry or have not eaten for a long amount of time. Eating usually makes mine go away. Seems I am the opposite of most people as I have hear this can also be a "soft signal" to stop eating.

I'm 6 years post-op and still have left should pain. I've been to the cardiologist, orthopedist, had MRIs done and even PT. They diagnosed it as thoracic outlet syndrome, sent me to PT and called it a day. There are days where it's really horrible and days where it doesn't even hurt. Trust me it's NOT gas. Prior to surgery I didn't have this issue.

I am about 8 months post op and I still have left shoulder pain. I tried to explain this to my doctor' date=' who is also a band patient, when I went in for my last fill. He said he experiences this as well when he eats to much and there is stress on the band. The weird thing is and what I couldn't seem to get him to understand is that I experience this when I am extremely hungry or have not eaten for a long amount of time. Eating usually makes mine go away. Seems I am the opposite of most people as I have hear this can also be a "soft signal" to stop eating.[/quote']

Oh yeah same here... Not sure if anyone experiences but sometimes my stomach growls and now after the surgery a even louder like it's ricocheting from the band but my stomach is growling like I'm starving and sometimes i'm not even hungry...but yes the shoulder pain sometimes hurts like you said when we're hungry.

I had shoulder pain post op.

I was so depressed about it. It was NOT gas pain. My gas pain went away after about 5 days right when the shoulder pain started. It is irritation of the vagus nerve and/or phrenic nerve. Some people have more swelling than others and take longer to heal. I had the pain in my shoulder for about 3 weeks Post Op. I am now ALMOST 6 weeks post op. Since 3 weeks, I have had this pain maybe about two days and only for a couple of hours. Other than that, I have been ok (knock on wood). I have not received a fill yet. I am flying on a plane this week and they said that can cause swelling from the high altitudes and I didn't want to have swelling from my fill and the plane and have the shoulder pain again b/c it sucks.

A heating pad helped me some. Also, a muscle relaxer helps. I am a band over bypass (so I cannot take advil or very sparingly). Also, try to eliminate gassy foods and sitting for too long (it pushes on the diaphram by the nerve). I know other bandsters experience this shoulder pain sometimes if they eat too fast or too much or if they hiccup. This was almost a constant pain for me for three weeks. My PCP told me he would put me through physical therapy and a nerve pain medication if I needed it. I do feel better now. The bariatric nurse knew what I was talking about and I'm sorry your nurse made you feel like you didn't know what you were talking about.

I think you are much further out than me from the surgery. Did you get anything stuck recently that irritated your pouch?

Hope it gets better for you.

Oh my goodness -- its not only me??? LOL I get this when I need to eat or am hungry...I call it my Protein pain.... It tells me when I haven't gotten enough in.

My left shoulder pain lasted for over three weeks post-op. I found out that it was an irritation of the vagus nerve that runs from the diaphragm to the left shoulder.

The weird thing is and what I couldn't seem to get him to understand is that I experience this when I am extremely hungry or have not eaten for a long amount of time. Eating usually makes mine go away. Seems I am the opposite of most people as I have hear this can also be a "soft signal" to stop eating.

This!!!!! I was in excruciating pain today. I took Tylenol, called the doc, and he just said "This is a common thing." Great. Then he prescribed some Ultracet. Well, I came home and ate, and now I feel TONS better. I made the connection on the way home...I was nearly writhing in pain, and my stomach had made this HUGE gurgle from emptiness and then all of a sudden it felt better. SO Weird!!! I hope this pain stays away. I didn't have it before today.

i have something similar...the pain is in my left collar bone. I hadn't made the connection of when it flares up, but it has been bothering me right before lunch and tonight is was on my drive home from work. i'm 2 weeks post op. Hope its not going to be a permanent addition!

I am almost three years post OP and if I accidentally eat too much, yes I will have that same left shoulder pain for about an hour or so and then it leaves. Hope you feel better.