Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Scared And Excited

I've read up a lot about the procedure and this forum really helped make the decision to go with plication.

38 BMI

240 pounds

5'6"

38 years

Dr. Ganta with Austin Institute of Bariatrics and Laparoscopy

Goal weight is around 150 but was told to expect closer to 170-180. In all honesty I will be happy staying under 200 and being able to shop at most stores for clothes though I intend on trying to get my teenage body back with the 6 pack abs. :)

My surgery is scheduled for May 23, 2012 but talking with my husband earlier tonight he suggested we move it up to mid April if possible so I will be further on the mend for summer vacation.

I still need to schedule my nutrition counseling, psychological exam, ekg, barium testing etc. And I am about to start a very short timeline project at work. In a way I think all of my potential excuses for delaying things is just because I am scared. Anxiety is a well known problem for me and I am on medication for it so that is contributing.

I have also not said a word to anyone at work about doing this. Not sure why since I am very open about almost everything.

Looking forward to being healthier, more energetic, and looking better for myself and family

Thank you everyone for sharing your concerns and experiences. It really is helpful to those of us that are starting the process.

I defiantly get your anxiety cause I also struggle with it, but I will say I did not have any anxiety about the surgery I was way to excited. I think I have more now, just thinking about how much to eat how much not to eat when and what to eat am I going to mess this up..............and it just keeps going. I guess all I can do is take it one day at a time. I do believe this was the best choice I could have ever made for myself. I do wish you the best. Feel free to ask any questions I am kinda an open book

I did move up my surgery date. I am now scheduled for April 24, 2012.

I've been through nutrition consultation and the psychological consultation.

Starting the preop diet on April 10th. Went shopping yesterday for a variety of Isopure flavored drinks so I'll know which I like.

Excited about week 3 post op because of the blended foods. Many are ones I like as solids. Just have to ditch the carbs I normally eat with them.

You will do great!!! I think you are smart to schedule the surgery sooner. Just means you have more time to lose weight before summer ;-). It will also give you less time to worry about it!

My dr said... "you can't un-tell someone, so be selective on who you tell!". I think that's true, but I found when I told people they were super supportive and I even found out that a few of my friends had, had WLS and never spoke about it! I also found that most people I told, had someone close to them that had also had some kind of WLS. If you like your co-workers and get along with them, I think you should tell them. It is nice to have the support system and have them check in with you. You also then get to brag to them how much you've lost ;-). I only told 1 person that I wish I hadn't and that was my uncle. He gave me a lecture. He doesn't live in the same state as me and hasn't checked in with me since so I don't even know if he knows that I already had the surgery (Oct 4th 2011). His loss! He will be surprised in July when he comes to visit and I'm (hopefully) 80 lbs lighter (55 lbs right now :-). I have a few neighbors that keep telling me I'm shrinking and I haven't told them I had surgery. I just say thank you for noticing and that I'm working really hard. One asked how I've done it and I told the truth in that I now work out with a personal trainer 3 times a week and eat much smaller portions! I'm not lying!!!

You will do fantastic and the months after the surgery will fly by while your fat stays behind ;-). Good luck and keep us posted!!!

Becky

Day 2 of preop diet. Wow this is going to be a difficult 2 weeks. So hungry. Using myfitnesspal.com to track my consumption. I had about 1030 calories yesterday. About 490 of that at dinner time just because I could not eat Breakfast due to having a morning Upper GI test.

Thank you everyone for the encouragement.

Slwf-are you on a 10day pre-op liquid diet? My doc in Miami said I only need two days... Based on what I've read on this forum I was going for a week. Did the nutrionist give you a list of do & donts? I also recieved Vitamins and a liquid Protein that I won't take bc it's made out of animal (am a vegetarian).

My doctor is well known in Miami but I feel like am entering a meat market. Cut & Go.... Not sure if am overeacting.

Good luck and keep us posted :)

I am on a two week preop diet. Doc wants me to reduce the size of my liver for the operation. So I'm to try for 800-1000 calories a day with most of those from Protein. Day before surgery I switch to clear liquid only.

I talked with a nutritionist and I am highly encouraged to attend monthly group meetings with other surgery patients. I am under the care of my doctor for a year. Everything is included in the one time price. Follow up care is very important to my doctor.

My regular doctor is impressed so far with the preop testing and diet guidance.

Ive been trying various Protein drinks so I know what I like ahead of time. No surprise it's a chocolate one.

I've been on the preop diet since Tuesday. I've already lost 7.4 pounds as of this morning. Very tired and cannot think straight. Very difficult.

Really hard when talking to my normally supportive mom whom asked me why I could not have dieted like this to lose it all without an upcoming surgery. She is skinny and does not understand it can come off and come right back and that I'm on fewer calories than recommended unless under doctor care.

Eight more days until surgery day.

Muscle / stomach spasms started about an hour ago. I'll call my doc for the muscle relaxant he mentioned that will help with that. Hopefully it also helps with the pain. Currently I am taking 15ml of hydrocodone/ apap. Also gasx, prilosec and some patch behind my ear for nausea.

I've got 6 small incisions. Thought it would be 5 but I guess different laproscopic machines are different. This one was the Da Vinci. One incision is just below my breasts in the middle. 5 others run a line across my belly just above my belly button.

I can barely drink Water in super small amounts. I ate less than 1 tsp of Protein Jello yesterday.

sleep is difficult since I was a stomach/side sleeper and I can't do that until I heal some. Laying on my back is very uncomfortable. But it is still less than 24 hours since my surgery. I will be able to sleep more once the pain subsides.

Muscle / stomach spasms started about an hour ago. I'll call my doc for the muscle relaxant he mentioned that will help with that. Hopefully it also helps with the pain. Currently I am taking 15ml of hydrocodone/ apap. Also gasx' date=' prilosec and some patch behind my ear for nausea.

I've got 6 small incisions. Thought it would be 5 but I guess different laproscopic machines are different. This one was the Da Vinci. One incision is just below my breasts in the middle. 5 others run a line across my belly just above my belly button.

I can barely drink Water in super small amounts. I ate less than 1 tsp of Protein Jello yesterday.

sleep is difficult since I was a stomach/side sleeper and I can't do that until I heal some. Laying on my back is very uncomfortable. But it is still less than 24 hours since my surgery. I will be able to sleep more once the pain subsides.[/quote']

I had some spasms not much, went away in a few days, I had 6 also 1 was for the drain, as for Water took me at least 4 weeks to get much down, it actually hurt drinking it, yet I could drink crystal light or tea, Protein drinks np, just that water, it actually hurt going down, now that I am in my 7 th week it is fine.

As for sleep, like u, I on my side, I used a heating pad, that helped, plus it helps with the gas.

You will get food down np, it took me a few days, your stomach is swollen, took me 4 days before I could get anything substantial down. My dr prescribed nexium, that was all I needed to take once Aday

You will do great, I know for myself it is hard to believe 7 weeks have passed since surgery, I have no regrets, looking forward to your posts.

Called my doctor about the spasms. Medicine he prescribed is not helping. I go in tomorrow. Could have been today if I had someone that could drive me to the office.

Managed to force down a tiny amount of Jello and a couple of dips of broth.

Called my doctor about the spasms. Medicine he prescribed is not helping. I go in tomorrow. Could have been today if I had someone that could drive me to the office.

Managed to force down a tiny amount of Jello and a couple of dips of broth.

Glad u will get something to help u out. Try every hr on the hr to eat broth or Jello, see if that helps, ask your dr if u can eat other soft foods like Soup, yogurt.

You will find it will get better as time goes on,

Thinking of u n hang in there.

He doubled the anti spasm medicine dose and gave me another prescription for anti nausea and spasm . It's doing better but not completely away.

Finally able to sleep a little on my sides. Thus I get more than 45 minutes in a single stretch. Now I can sleep for 3-4 hours at a time.

Still can't eat much without feeling nauseous. Maybe an ounce here and there. Starting to feel hungry but cannot eat.

I'm on Clear liquids for another week and a half. The easiest to drink is chicken broth with a lite lemonade watered down.. I can also eat Popsicles and Jello both sugar free. I've got a Protein Jello but I can get do little down that it takes me two days to finish a container.

I should be able to get more down once the swelling is reduced in my stomach.

Weight has dropped from 240 to 231 back up to 240 right after surgery from the iv liquids and now at 227.