Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Terrified of hair loss

Sorry to hear about your mother Lisa. I don't think anyone can say for sure that stress plays a role. Just remember to care for your self with all the stress get your Protein in and you should be ok.

"Chunks"?! Ugh I am 60 years old and my hair isnt that thick to begin with! Will I have to wear a wig? Do you suggest going on Biotin pre- surgery? Anyone else out there that's going thru this? Wondering if I should start growing it out (surgery will probably be in Jan) so I have more hair to "cover the bald spots" or if the extra weight will make it worse?? Is anyone coloring their hair thru this process?

I lost 132 lbs on my own about 5 years ago and had quite a lot of Hair loss. I had mostly thinning in the temple areas that drove me nuts but really, I doubt anyone noticed but me. After having gone through it though I can tell you that yes, biotin DOES help! Start taking it now though because as I was told by 4 different doctors, it takes 4 months for a hair folicle to grow so the hair that is starting now wont pop out for four months. That means that the biotin you take today wont have affected your hair follicle until 4 months from now. It helps tremendously, I'm a definite fan of biotin! And, I always colored my hair, it was fine. My hair dresser of course could also see that I was losing a lot of hair but again, other than me and her I doubt others noticed. It's not chemo lol. Hang in there!

I started 1 tablet of Biotin 5000 every other day. Watching to see if I see any breakouts. If not I will go to one tablet a day. Thanks for your info lisalisa!

Remember, it will take time for the Biotin to work but it definitely does!

Well, I figure it will be January before I can get a surgery date, so hopefully that will be enough time to make a difference.

my doc said it starts about 3-4 mos. post op and is partially diet and surgical stress and lack of Protein....

So true I'm close to 8 months and my hair is falling out just by brushing it and shedding badly.... I hope it grows back better then before ..... I'm habing trouble with Protein but make sure to take that and ur Vitamins and Biotin pills.... I'm working on it

MrsB surgery 1-21-13

So true I'm close to 8 months and my hair is falling out just by brushing it and shedding badly.... I hope it grows back better then before ..... I'm habing trouble with Protein but make sure to take that and ur Vitamins and Biotin pills.... I'm working on it

MrsB surgery 1-21-13

Thank you MrsB - were you on Biotin before surgery, or after?

I haven't seen a lot of discussion about hair loss with this surgery' date=' but it s one of the side affects I am most afraid of. I have a lot of gray hair so go in for color every six weeks - will I be able to continue that? I am in a position where I have to look and dress professional and just thinking about gray thinning hair is giving me nightmares![/quote']

I'm 4 Mos post op and My hair started falling out at about three mos. I asked my support groups dn they said to up your

Rote in to 80-100 gra,s a dayand take Biotin. I did and I'm happy to say that it is still coming out a little but nothing like it was!! I thought holy shot I'm going to go bald!! But now it's a lot better. Plus my doc said he had never seen a bald bypass patient. Phew!!

My NUT said a recent research study indicates that it's the stress from surgery that affects the hair loss...any surgery. It usually starts abt 3 months after surgery and will taper off at about 6 months.

Mine has started up, almost like clockwork, one week from 3 months! I'm trying not to be too concerned, and I really don't want to take another supplement! Going to the salon next week and I'll see what my stylist has to say!

I am not taking Biotin as i dont know it and i dont think we have it here anyway. So let me just tell you, my hormones are freaking out! Month 4 is terrible and i had the worst acne i've ever had in my life! It is slightly better now at month 5 but still bad. But yeah, basically month 3 and 4 is the worst with hairloss and acne. So ironic, as at last you're getting into the swing of things and feeling better and getting the balance right of the new lifestyle and all the supplements.

When will all the craziness stop? I almost dont brush my hair and only wash once a week (man it's dirty), cause whenever i brush and wash it comes out by the handfull ????