Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Terrified of hair loss

I haven't seen a lot of discussion about Hair loss with this surgery, but it s one of the side affects I am most afraid of. I have a lot of gray hair so go in for color every six weeks - will I be able to continue that? I am in a position where I have to look and dress professional and just thinking about gray thinning hair is giving me nightmares!

My hair just started shedding. I am four months out and it is falling out in chunks. I started using Biotin and Garnier (sp) breakag protection conditioner and it is helping some. Luckly my hair is sup er thick and could do with thinning. Lol

"Chunks"?! Ugh I am 60 years old and my hair isnt that thick to begin with! Will I have to wear a wig? Do you suggest going on Biotin pre- surgery? Anyone else out there that's going thru this? Wondering if I should start growing it out (surgery will probably be in Jan) so I have more hair to "cover the bald spots" or if the extra weight will make it worse?? Is anyone coloring their hair thru this process?

Chunks was probably a poor word choice. LOL and it p robably wont hurt to start taking it now

I have very thin strait hair and I also keep mine colored. I did have some thinning from about months 4-8 seemed like I was losing about 30-40 strands a day I stared Biotin which did help a bit I also used the biotin Shampoo and stopped using conditioner as it just weighed it down more. I cut my hair in month 6 to a short style made it look more full and I seemed not to lose as much. I don't think you will need a wig it does not fall out that much just a little thinning. I think you may want to think about not coloring it for a while. I stopped coloring it an still have no yet to afraid.

"Chunks"?! Ugh I am 60 years old and my hair isnt that thick to begin with! Will I have to wear a wig? Do you suggest going on Biotin pre- surgery? Anyone else out there that's going thru this? Wondering if I should start growing it out (surgery will probably be in Jan) so I have more hair to "cover the bald spots" or if the extra weight will make it worse?? Is anyone coloring their hair thru this process?

I started taking Biotin pre surgery. I also started using nioxin Shampoo and conditioner pre surgery. I am 3 months post op and so far... So good. Good luck!

My surgery was November 2012 I am ten months now and the Hair loss has stopped and am trying to grow it back out does grow a little slower if you do decided to color your hair I would deffenlty go to the Salon and ask them to do whatever is most natural and best for you hair.

How are you doing so far ? Oh also make sure you keep up on the Protein that will help a bunch I know on weeks when's protein was low I saw more hair loss

I haven't seen a lot of discussion about hair loss with this surgery' date=' but it s one of the side affects I am most afraid of. I have a lot of gray hair so go in for color every six weeks - will I be able to continue that? I am in a position where I have to look and dress professional and just thinking about gray thinning hair is giving me nightmares![/quote']

So the Hair loss is controlled by you. If you are not getting enough Protein everyday your hair will begin to fall out. However I believe there is at least a month delay of your hair actually falling out. So make sure you are keeping up with your Protein intake.

my doc said it starts about 3-4 mos. post op and is partially diet and surgical stress and lack of protein....

If you Google weight loss surgery and hair loss it explains the 'why' pretty clearly. Basically it states that surgery (any type), sudden weight loss, and emotional or physical stress are all causes of Hair loss. The hair loss we see occurs months after the cause so doing anything about it after surgery is too late. The hair loss can last several months. Taking supplements before surgery to ensure your hair is in the best possible health might help. Afterwards, getting in all your Protein, using gentle hair products, and avoiding harsh chemical treatments may help minimize the hair loss. A new hair style can make it less noticeable.

Not everyone experiences hair loss. My surgical team says it's not a common issue among their patients. I'm curious if the length of the surgery is a factor? Mine was only 1 - 1 1/2 hours long. If surgery is stressful to your body then it stands to reason that a shorter duration would be less stressful? That is my hope. I also took all my supplements and Biotin starting two months before surgery. I resumed taking Biotin one month after surgery. I try to get all my Protein every day - most of the time I do.

My surgery was May 30 and I'm 53. I'm waiting to see what happens. I have a lot of white hair but my hair is so light the white just looks like natural hilights so I don't color it. I have perfectly straight baby-fine hair. My hairdresser says I have a lot of it but it's so fine that it doesn't look like much. I work in a bank and am hoping I don't have visible thinning. I don't want people to think I'm sick. Time will tell...

If you do begin to lose hair keep in mind that it is ONLY TEMPORARY. IT WILL GROW BACK.

I'm 6 months and have been consistently losing air since around month 4. Seems like a ton to me but the rest of the universe says its not noticeable. I do color mine every 6 weeks. I do get my Protein but am to taking Biotin (just don't see the need). So far it's almost identical to when I had my band. If it continues on that path my loss should stop over the next couple months. While it's true Protein makes a difference, there's also a huge physical stress response to surgery and drastic weight loss that you really cannot control. Just keep in mind, as said above, it is temporary, it will stop eventually! Hopefully enforce you need a wig!

HW 312, pre-op (RNY) 255, current weight 202.4

My hair loss lasted from month 3 to 6. To most overweight women our hair was our shining glory... Only pretty thing about us ... So it was a freak out moment.. But it passes. Protein is the key.. I do take Biotin and I use the Shampoo that has Biotin and collagen in it.. It does pass and you shouldn't need a wig!!!

date of surgery 02/21/13 surgery weight 340 lbs. current weight 146 lbs

I'm scared of Hair loss, too. My hair is fine and limp. I need each strand that I have on the top/front! My first pregnancy (20 years ago) was a boy and the dermatologist told me that I had male pattern baldness due to the male hormones. It never did fill back in. Sounds like I need to check into Biotin before surgery!