Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

"Stalls" why do people Freak out!

I don't understand, "this is Normal!!"

I don't understand it either... Then when we try to tell them why it's like what you say doesn't matter. There is plenty of research on the web that supports that stalls happen to everyone. Wls is not the magic cure where you will lose a crap load of weight fast!! Anyone who thinks that should do more research!!!

I don't understand it either... Then when we try to tell them why it's like what you say doesn't matter. There is plenty of research on the web that supports that stalls happen to everyone. Wls is not the magic cure where you will lose a crap load of weight fast!! Anyone who thinks that should do more research!!!

Kristy, so true, im 8 weeks Tuesday lost 34lbs SD 12/18/12""" Wls is not the magic cure where you will lose a crap load of weight fast!!""" I like this Quote lol (bcuz it's true)

Yeah sum ppl freak out. I had a slight stall a few days ago and I didn't trip. We can't honestly expect to lose weight every single day!

I was wondering the same thing too...especially the people that are only like 2 weeks out lol

Many of us struggled with weight all our lives. Many of us have failed numerous diets numerous times. We've finally broke down and got the surgery and then see the scale not budge. We automatically think to ourselves "oh my god, am I going to fail at this too?" And then we panic and feel defeated. It's a natural instinctive feeling for those who have struggled through the years. We start to think irrationally and wonder if we'll ever succeed. This is why we upset ourselves with stalls.

There are also people that the surgery does very little to help them lose weight. It is no guarantee of weight loss. To have permanent changes in your body done and to deal with recovery and then lose very little is not easy to deal with. Especially if you had to fight to get the surgery with the hope it would help. Research shows most people will lose all their going to lose in the first 6 months and if you are losing very little then then doing this for 18-20 or 30 lbs is not a choice some people would have made but it does happen to some people.

I understand that!! But we knew getting this Surgery that it was not a MAGICAL SURGERY!! But a tool!! We have to """recondition our Minds!!""" Portion Control, Eating differently, Exercising!! Is all part of WLS, and Looking at a scale everyday and for some 3, 4 or 5 times a day is a Mind game on people (and that brings on all this Freaking Out) Second thoughts and anger!! Thats why they say well at least my Health Care says when people have this Surgery they "SHOULD GO SEEK COUNSELING and talk about THINGS LIKE STALLS, FRUSTRATIONS, ANGRY, & WHYS & WHY NOT.

I dont know about the 6 month timeline. I have seen so many you tube videos and everyone continues to lose even after a year, sometimes two years. We just need to keep going and not freak out over stalls.

Wow, this is kinda harsh. Yes you are right that stalls are part of the process and that is a life style change but I am sorry that we get upset and even angry. When you do the life style change and not only stall but gain weight, it HURTS! Heck, I have even gained an inch in my waist size the last month and I am not even three months out yet. Yes, logically I can step back and understand the process but I AM TERRIFIED! I can handle the stalls to a point but the gaining kills me esp when I AM FOLLOWING the program I was given and I am very well aware this is just a tool. Yes counseling can help but it can not fix the fear of failure some of us have. This is our last hope. Our last chance. I can see all of your points but please understand the other side as well. Just like the weight will not drop off overnight our history of weight loss failure will not disappear overnight either. My NUT even told me right before surgery that she had a fear this may not really help me so I live with that daily too. Just please keep this in mind when you see us reaching out for help. I, at least, just want some encouragement to keep going.

I didn't mean to sound harsh. Just seems like the same posts all the time regarding stalls. I guess maybe I need to take a break from the forum if I'm no longer being encouraging. It just seems like I see people not exercising and eating the wrong things and wondering why thy aren't losing weight.. It drives me crazy... For those of you working the program... Hang in there it will come off.

Thank you, Heather! I, too, thought some of these responses were a bit harsh (especially while using all caps and exclamation points). I went to my 2nd post-op meeting 3 weeks after surgery, having only lost 3 pounds since my last visit 2 weeks prior. I was fine with it, because I know that many times big losses are followed by small ones (Hey, I watch "The Biggest Loser", so I know about the "Week 2 issue"). My doc was not so happy, however. Told me that it was less than he had hoped, and that he has patients who have lost 5 pounds per week. My response to him: "Really? Good for them!" That's the kind of stuff I don't like - being compared to other patients. He has no idea that many of those patients may, conceivably, have not been eating anything at all. I know someone who had tons of problems keeping food down and is now down 70 lbs. in 3 months simply because she could not eat. And here I am busting my butt to try to get all the Protein and liquids in. So, I'm proud of those 3 pounds that are no longer on my body! :-)

I was only 225 on the day of surgery, so I know I'm on the lower end of the weight loss spectrum for this surgery, so I know that my loss numbers may be smaller than most in the beginning. In the end, it will all even out.

For those who get annoyed at the "stall" questions, maybe you just shouldn't respond to them, if they're going to annoy you so much. All of us need all the support we can get around here.

Wow' date=' this is kinda harsh. Yes you are right that stalls are part of the process and that is a life style change but I am sorry that we get upset and even angry. When you do the life style change and not only stall but gain weight, it HURTS! Heck, I have even gained an inch in my waist size the last month and I am not even three months out yet. Yes, logically I can step back and understand the process but I AM TERRIFIED! I can handle the stalls to a point but the gaining kills me esp when I AM FOLLOWING the program I was given and I am very well aware this is just a tool. Yes counseling can help but it can not fix the fear of failure some of us have. This is our last hope. Our last chance. I can see all of your points but please understand the other side as well. Just like the weight will not drop off overnight our history of weight loss failure will not disappear overnight either. My NUT even told me right before surgery that she had a fear this may not really help me so I live with that daily too. Just please keep this in mind when you see us reaching out for help. I, at least, just want some encouragement to keep going.[/quote']

Worm,

Its all good. Take a deep breathe. Stay to the program. Look forward, one step at a time. You can do this.

Some people just get more emoitional when they see the scale and are at a stall. Why even make a post like this? The people that post about freajing out about stalls obviously need encouragment not to scroll thru posts and read stuff like this.

Thank you' date=' Heather! I, too, thought some of these responses were a bit harsh (especially while using all caps and exclamation points). I went to my 2nd post-op meeting 3 weeks after surgery, having only lost 3 pounds since my last visit 2 weeks prior. I was fine with it, because I know that many times big losses are followed by small ones (Hey, I watch "The Biggest Loser", so I know about the "Week 2 issue"). My doc was not so happy, however. Told me that it was less than he had hoped, and that he has patients who have lost 5 pounds per week. My response to him: "Really? Good for them!" That's the kind of stuff I don't like - being compared to other patients. He has no idea that many of those patients may, conceivably, have not been eating anything at all. I know someone who had tons of problems keeping food down and is now down 70 lbs. in 3 months simply because she could not eat. And here I am busting my butt to try to get all the Protein and liquids in. So, I'm proud of those 3 pounds that are no longer on my body! :-)

I was only 225 on the day of surgery, so I know I'm on the lower end of the weight loss spectrum for this surgery, so I know that my loss numbers may be smaller than most in the beginning. In the end, it will all even out.

For those who get annoyed at the "stall" questions, maybe you just shouldn't respond to them, if they're going to annoy you so much. All of us need all the support we can get around here.[/quote']

I have never responded negatively to a stall post. I responded to this post because I had an opinion