Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What day of the week was your surgery?

I received my approval letter and am trying to coordinate the best days with my family and husband. I'm hoping for a Friday, husband doesn't think it will happen.

I'm sure all places are different across the states, but tell me your day!

If I do a Friday, husband takes off work, works Saturday while I'm recovering in hospital, then he has Sunday and Monday off to get our kids to school. By Tuesday I'm sure I will be just fine serving Breakfast and getting them ready for school and driving them 3 miles then coming home! I really hope it's a Friday. I plan to do everything perfect and push myself so I'm only off for 1 week. I'm a literacy tutor and I walk to class rooms every 30 min and walking around teaching stuff while in the class room! Seems like some good walking time!!

Well I think you are really setting high expectations for yourself. Most people are still on pain meds a week post op and therefore can't drive. This surgery is something you have to take time and heal and usually requires at least 2+ weeks before going back to work. I don't mean to be pessimistic but you really need to think of a backup plan. I had surgery on a Wednesday came home on a Saturday and had a drain that stayed in till my one week post op which causes a lot of discomfort. Not less having to make sure the first few weeks drinking 1-2 ounces every 15 minutes and no lifting for 6 weeks

I had mine on a friday, but really it's when your surg operates that defines it the most.

I was still pretty weak mon-weds of that next week. By about thurs my energy was back.

You might be still weak on tues to do all those things.

Don't get me wrong worst thing you can do is sit and do nothing, but maybe line up a friend or family member up as backup in case you're not up to it.

Wow...my doc told me minimum 4weeks to recover before he found out what I did for work, maybe longer. He specifically mentioned that the early days you sleep a lot because of meds and low calorie consumption "while you still have all the weight on you." You might want to ask the doc. A week might not be realistic.

I agree. I didn't have a lot if pain and was still on meds at that point. Plus even riding in the car the first week can hurt. Can they take the bus for a few days?

I plan to take a week as well,my doc was fine with it. After my lap gallbladder removal,lap band and then lap band removal I was back at work after 4 or 5 days each time. (I'm a family practice physician assistant, I walk and talk. The heaviest thing I lift is my lap top. I did spend a lot ore time sitting tan I usually do and the first 2 days wore me out! After that, when I hit the week mark, I was okay). I'm sure it varies based on what you do, complications, over all health, etc but like I said my doc was perfectly fine with a week.

My littlest is in preschool and she isn't allowed to ride the bus. I will make a back up plan!! Thanks everyone for your responses! Getting it worked out in my head is about 50% of the result right? ;)

Mine was Monday November 5. Took me weeks to recover. I left the hospital that Wednesday

I had surgery on Wednesday (Ithink my Doc just does a lot of them then) and I was in the hospital till Sunday. Probably could have went home saturday but if they weren't kicking me out I was staying. Most of that week I didn't do much except walk inside the house, drink drink drink took pain meds for a few days, slept, just kinda chilled out. I really didn't need anyone to care for me in particular but they had better be taking care of themselves, lol, mine are much older and do more for me then I do for them, I didn't drive till about two weeks out.

So please make a back up plan. Just so it will be in place if you need it. And take this time for you if you can. You are going to be going through some crazy changes with eating drinking and emotions.

Maybe you can trade off with another mom for later down the road to help them out if they can help you out now or something. I know it is hard to get all the ducks in a row and ask for help, but believe me, most people would love to help, so ask and let them.

Wishing you the very best.

I'm planning on being out for a week and a half. Mainly because that's all the vacation time I have. But I do have sick time just in case I need a few more days. I sit at a desk all day so as long as I don't have any complications I should be fine.

I'm planning on being out for a week and a half. Mainly because that's all the vacation time I have. But I do have sick time just in case I need a few more days. I sit at a desk all day so as long as I don't have any complications I should be fine.

I can't imagine sitting in a chair for 8 hours a day a week after surgery. It was all I could do to sit up after 4 weeks for all day. The pain was not minimal and the fatigue was huge.

I received my approval letter and am trying to coordinate the best days with my family and husband. I'm hoping for a Friday' date=' husband doesn't think it will happen.

I'm sure all places are different across the states, but tell me your day!

If I do a Friday, husband takes off work, works Saturday while I'm recovering in hospital, then he has Sunday and Monday off to get our kids to school. By Tuesday I'm sure I will be just fine serving Breakfast and getting them ready for school and driving them 3 miles then coming home! I really hope it's a Friday. I plan to do everything perfect and push myself so I'm only off for 1 week. I'm a literacy tutor and I walk to class rooms every 30 min and walking around teaching stuff while in the class room! Seems like some good walking time!![/quote']

It took me 2 full weeks of rest before I even thought about driving. The sutures hurt and sitting hurts, walking hurts. This is a big surgery and a major shock to your body. Dont do too much too soon. You will end up back in the hospital.

My doc didn't know going in what did, he said 4 weeks, but I'm planning on taking more if I need to. I don't want to get hit in the gut or have to tackle an agitated patient...still, I can't imagine having major surgery and working a week later. I hope all goes well for you, though!

I had surgery on a Tuesday in October left hosptial on Thursday. I went to work just under two weeks (Monday instead of Tuesday) the biggest thing I found was I felt ok but I needed to nap the third week everyday. So be careful listen to your body because this surgery is about you and your health!