Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Although it seems to be a little better now post op weeks 1 - 3 was the hardest! I would cry so easily and not know why I was crying for. Doctor said that was normal. I do get the mood swings now but not extremely bad.

I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one feeling like this. I've had a hard time with my mood swings lately. It's so weird that the littlest things can annoy me now & the next minute I'm fine..

I have suffered from depression for many many years and take prozac every day. But this after surgery is kinda different. Like out of the blue for no reason you just feel down and cranky and sad. I think it must have something to do with the hormones in our fat. Or something. Cause I will find myself just looking out the window feeling hopeless and I think what the heck is wrong with you, you should be so happy and you are feeling like this. It is a bummer. I want to be happy and healthy so bad.

I have suffered from depression (and been on Prozac) for about 20 years. It runs in my family. I have found CBT (Cognitive Behavioral Therapy) to be very helpful. Essentially it involves identifying negative/self-defeating thought patterns, challenging them and replacing them. I plan to take Prozac the rest of my life. But I do think that CBT is a big help. It is not necessarily a complete solution but definitely helpful. I think that CBT can benefit anyone - depressed or not. I also perceive that many people have I diagnosed depression. Obesity might be both a cause and an effect of depression. I wish you and everyone success in the obesity and depression journey.

I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one feeling like this. I've had a hard time with my mood swings lately. It's so weird that the littlest things can annoy me now & the next minute I'm fine..

During first two weeks after surgery I was very irritable. Now that irritability is going away. I think that it is simply a matter of time - the body has to heal. We are in more physical pain and under more stress than we realize.

I have suffered from depression (and been on Prozac) for about 20 years. It runs in my family. I have found CBT (Cognitive Behavioral Therapy) to be very helpful. Essentially it involves identifying negative/self-defeating thought patterns, challenging them and replacing them. I plan to take Prozac the rest of my life. But I do think that CBT is a big help. It is not necessarily a complete solution but definitely helpful. I think that CBT can benefit anyone - depressed or not. I also perceive that many people have I diagnosed depression. Obesity might be both a cause and an effect of depression. I wish you and everyone success in the obesity and depression journey.

thank you and I think you are spot on about the Therapy. I have had a few sessions of that but ddn't stick with it. But I know it would help. I need to find someone close to me that my insurance approves and do that, This is a whole body and mind thing, all parts need attention.

And like you have been on Prozac (tried others but always come back to Prozac) for more years than I can count, and they will have to pry it out of my cold dead hands. Because with it I still have so many issues, can't imagine how awful it would be without it.

thank you and I think you are spot on about the Therapy. I have had a few sessions of that but ddn't stick with it. But I know it would help. I need to find someone close to me that my insurance approves and do that, This is a whole body and mind thing, all parts need attention.

And like you have been on Prozac (tried others but always come back to Prozac) for more years than I can count, and they will have to pry it out of my cold dead hands. Because with it I still have so many issues, can't imagine how awful it would be without it.

CBT is so easy that you don't even ned s therapist. You can start with a book. But of course, a therapist can be very helpful. A therapist was one of the BEST invest,nets I ever made. Funny thing: my experience with Prozac is the same. I tried other medications but always go back to Prozac. When I go through depressive periods I increase the dosage to 20mg per day. During normal periods, I take 10mg per day. It is a wonderful medication and I am very grateful for it. While it does not fully eliminate depression, it does seem to reduce the "lows." I tried Zoloft for awhile and found it ineffective. I like the fact that Prozac has a long history and a lot of data to support it. Even my doctor takes Prozac- and he told me to stay on it the rest of my life to prevent the "lows."

I wish you the greatest success with the obesity and depression journey.

I cry at the drop of a hat. Plus, I am letting myself get overwhelmed by others losing more/faster then me. Logically I am OK with it but deep down it is bothering me.

I had the same experience but I do think that it gets better with the passage of time. It might also be low blood sugar, so some tiny 100-calorie Snacks in between 300-calorie meals might help. Of course the Snacks and meals should focus on Protein. I am still a but hypersensitive male post op but do find it it stabilizing with the passage of time. I also am trying to diversify my Protein sources.

Ugh can I relate! Its only with my DH tho. I am being treated since 2009 for depression/anxiety due to a trauma which involved DH. It feel like since surgery more feelings have surfaced. I plan to talk with my Dr. Perhaps my RX needs adjusting. Presently I am on wellbutrin after viewing posts here I may discuss switching to prozac. Anyone have weight issues due to prozac?

I'm on high levels of Prozac and Wellbutrin. I have to take them both to stabilize my mood. I also see a therapist weekly. I will struggle with anxiety and depression most likely my entire life, but medication and therapy give me the tools to come out on top.

Fortunately my depression is just seasonal. So far it has been managed by extra Vitamin D and time in the sun. Living in Florida helps! 8 months out I just had my first really big mental spin out. This time of year is not always the best...anniversaries of deaths and birthday. I had to go by new clothes. I was told to stop hiding in baggy stuff! Freaked me out. I had to try stuff on. Emotionally painful and frightening...outside my comfort zone. I was reminded that this year I cannot, because of the surgery, deal with this stuff with my favorite drug..food! I do have to pay attention to mental health issues because of family history. This site as well as my surgery programs help me to know I am not alone on this journey.