Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

University Of Maryland, Baltimore, Md

Hello,

Anyone here had or are planning to have their surgery here? I am, but I am having mixed feelings. Please, feel free to share any experiences, news....

I live near by and had my surgery at fair oaks hospital in Virginia. My question for you is wether the hospital is designated a center of excellence for bariatric surgery? That's very important since it means the hospital is set up for the bariatric patient.

Hi

I am planning to have my surgery at University of MD hospital also. The doctor that I saw was Dr. Mark Kligman. I am in my 6th month of seeing the nutritionist and finishing up my final screenings and exams. The closer that the time gets the more I think about it and the more difficult it is to not eat everything not nailed down. I wish I had more visits with the dr before the surgery. Who are you seeing?

Hello Dee!

I am actually seeing the same doctor. My first consult was monday, I left with more unanswered questions and concerns. It may be that Im anxious about everything, so we'll see how it goes. How do you like the overall process with University of Maryland? Do you feel supported?

Hi ButterflyRN

I felt like all of my questions were answered when I went for my 1st visit but I do not feel supported at all. The nutritionist that I have been seeing is Mary B. and she seems nice enough and very informative but no warm fuzzies at all. I would suggest that you get to know some of the people at your nutrition visits. That hour passes too quickly and the things you think about and want answers to you should write down and discuss them there or look around online and see what you can find out. I have several friends who have gone thru the rny and have been very helpful in answering questions....much more than the drs office. I thought about changing drs at my second nutritionist visit and now wish i had. I have heard many good things about the people at St Agnes tho I didn't really like their presentation when I went. I have heard that they are more in touch with you during the 6 months wait. I wish you luck in your process.

Thank you so much Dee! I may start looking at a different hospital. That office is hard to reach and no one knows any answers to my questions. They keep directing me to other people. What happens if I truly need someone post-op and cant reach anyone? Thats a bad feeling. Thanks again, Dee. Good luck with your journey.

I did stay with Dr. Kligman and am so glad that I did. As my surgery date got closer everyone was so helpful. The date of my surgery he came to the pre-op room and was very reassuring. I am now 5 days post op. feeling pretty good

I am a patient of Dr. Averbach at St. Agnes. The nut Nancy Lum is outstanding!! It is very important to have faith in your surgeon but it is also important to have a great nut. Nancy is highly educated and highly trained in Bariatric nutrition and has a special interest in Vitamin deficiencies (which are very common with RNY). The staff at the office is wonderful. I always get my questions answered, they return calls super fast and they have specific coordinators that do one thing only (ie scheduling, insurance etc) so they are the expert. St. Agnes is a Center for Bariatric Excellence and Dr. A is an award winning surgeon.

My surgeon is Dr Averbach as well, he was kinda scary and cold at first, but after talking with him and asking him questions I felt better. And yes Nancy is great and they answer questions very fast, even on weekends. I am having my surgery at St Agnes, no set date yet, but I am hoping early to mid August.

Rabrijumo: who is your dr? When did you have surgery? How was the staff there? I'm scheduled @ Fair Oaks in May and would love to hear about your experience there!

mrmbv I had surgery 4/15/14 @ Fair Oaks with Dr. Fitzer. I had a great experience at Fair Oaks. I ended up there in September as well for a bleeding ulcer and again, great experience. I actually live an hour away in Frederick County MD but chose Fair Oaks.

Hello,

Anyone here had or are planning to have their surgery here? I am, but I am having mixed feelings. Please, feel free to share any experiences, news....

Hello,

Just wondering why you chose Univ. of MD for your weight loss surgery? Not too far away is St. Agnes Hospital -- The Center of Excellence for Bariatric Surgery.

Hi ButterflyRn. I'm seeing Dr Kligman at UMMS. How did you surgery go? I'm almost finished my classes and haven't lost a pound

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I am going with Dr Singh at St Agnes. I originally was going with John Hopkins Bayview. Boy did that go wrong. I was suppose to see doctor Kimberly Steele and she was Not there so they had me see her nurse practitioner. Well she was not a lot of help. So I did all of my requirements and tried to see if I could finally see my surgeon. To find out she was on leave and they were not sure if she was coming back. Look at God won't he do it. It was nothing but a blessing that I went through all of that to be right where I belong in the hands of the surgeon who preformed on my sister 2 years ago. I also have to see things on my own first before I make a decision . Dr Singh is a very pleasant man. I trust him with my body. Good luck to those still waiting on surgery. Mines will not be until the end of the year.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App