Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I don't mean to be "the bad guy" but I see where Ryan is coming from. He started out by giving his opinion and then was ridiculed and made sure to say sorry to those he offended before things got out of hand. Insurance requirements are there to gatekeep. Weight loss surgery should be a last resort. Insurance set the 40 BMI for a reason. They were smart about it, and decided to lower it to 35-39 with two or more deadly co-morbities. They know what they're doing. Should a person be cheating the system in order to get to a 40 BMI? Is that morally right? I don't think so, but it happens. I don't agree with it and I don't think surgeons' or doctors' should be encouraging this. Is anyone wrong in this argument? No. It's an opinion and everyone's entitled to one :)

This surgery should not be regarded as a quick fix nor should someone purposly try to decieve an insurance company willing to pay for a very expensive, intense surgery. In the end though, you do what makes you happy, and this is all that matters!

I don't mean to be "the bad guy" but I see where Ryan is coming from. He started out by giving his opinion and then was ridiculed and made sure to say sorry to those he offended before things got out of hand. Insurance requirements are there to gatekeep. Weight loss surgery should be a last resort. Insurance set the 40 BMI for a reason. They were smart about it, and decided to lower it to 35-39 with two or more deadly co-morbities. They know what they're doing. Should a person be cheating the system in order to get to a 40 BMI? Is that morally right? I don't think so, but it happens. I don't agree with it and I don't think surgeons' or doctors' should be encouraging this. Is anyone wrong in this argument? No. It's an opinion and everyone's entitled to one :)

This surgery should not be regarded as a quick fix nor should someone purposly try to decieve an insurance company willing to pay for a very expensive, intense surgery. In the end though, you do what makes you happy, and this is all that matters!

You are 100% right. Great post.

How are you already approved when you have not been to any type of pre surgery stuff? I just saw in another post you were confused about the liquid diet? Anyone who has been through the mandatory pre authorization requirements know the reason you have to have a liquid diet. This is a SUPPORT GROUP! Not Facebook where you can come on here and whine and cry because I am not as big as you. Like I said YOU DO NOT KNOW MY JOURNEY. You don't know that I am only 23 years old, and am not being able to live my life because I am over weight. Weight loss surgery is to benefit your physical health and emotional health. I have been thinking and researching the surgery for a whole year. Done all my research and have met some really great people on this website. My doctor doing my surgery is in the best in the area, people come from all over California to be seen by one of the physicians at ALSA medical group. Again this is a support group, and you cannot offer support then leave. Thank you for all of the kind words from the people who responded, and you should just feel sorry for this guy. Being as over weight as he is, I am sure there is lots off issues going on in life and its easier to make a big deal out of someone elses issues. I know I have my up and downs and I cannot imagine being as over weight as him. If I were you I would have made this decision 100lbs ago. Now you face even more issues with the surgery just because of your weight alone. And There is a reason they make you meet with a psychologist before you submit for approval. If you have let your self get as out of control and you have all kinds of cravings (which are emotional not physical) then what makes you think YOU ARE READY? This is not the easy way out. Its lots of hard work, and finding other ways to deal with your emotions without eating your feelings. Again you really should research this surgery and options more. I can tell by your obvious ignorance you are not ready to start your journey.

FYI. My BMI was 39.1, with high blood pressure, pre diabetes, and PCOS. Count it, three health (weight related) issues. I was referred in the first place by my PCP who has been with me for years watching me struggle, loose 30lbs then gain it back, and so on and so on. I have worked with a nutritionist and still do, I write down everything that goes in my mouth, count all of calories, and eat pretty healthy. I also walk and go to the gym several times a week. I am just a big girl. With a slow metabolism. Everything when down hill after I had my son. I also have three abdominal hernias because I carry all my weight in the front, in my belly. I have a "apron" as they call it, that I have to life to put deodorant on so I do not get a nasty sweat pool under there because its 110 degrees right now where I live. If I would have had all the proper documentation of my Pcos and High blood pressure I would have been approved the first time, except I risked submitting to the insurance right away because of my weight alone. Knowing there would be a chance I would be denied. So when I re submitted I wanted to make sure I was at a 40 bmi because according to my insurance that was the reason why. Again Let me remind you guys that this is a SUPPORT GROUP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

How are you already approved when you have not been to any type of pre surgery stuff? I just saw in another post you were confused about the liquid diet? Anyone who has been through the mandatory pre authorization requirements know the reason you have to have a liquid diet. This is a SUPPORT GROUP! Not Facebook where you can come on here and whine and cry because I am not as big as you. Like I said YOU DO NOT KNOW MY JOURNEY. You don't know that I am only 23 years old, and am not being able to live my life because I am over weight. Weight loss surgery is to benefit your physical health and emotional health. I have been thinking and researching the surgery for a whole year. Done all my research and have met some really great people on this website. My doctor doing my surgery is in the best in the area, people come from all over California to be seen by one of the physicians at ALSA medical group. Again this is a support group, and you cannot offer support then leave. Thank you for all of the kind words from the people who responded, and you should just feel sorry for this guy. Being as over weight as he is, I am sure there is lots off issues going on in life and its easier to make a big deal out of someone elses issues. I know I have my up and downs and I cannot imagine being as over weight as him. If I were you I would have made this decision 100lbs ago. Now you face even more issues with the surgery just because of your weight alone. And There is a reason they make you meet with a psychologist before you submit for approval. If you have let your self get as out of control and you have all kinds of cravings (which are emotional not physical) then what makes you think YOU ARE READY? This is not the easy way out. Its lots of hard work, and finding other ways to deal with your emotions without eating your feelings. Again you really should research this surgery and options more. I can tell by your obvious ignorance you are not ready to start your journey.

Lol shut up about "YOU DO NOT KNOW MY JOURNEY". It sounds stupid and pathetic and embarrassing.

I was approved because I have amazing insurance and most of my tests were completed for other reasons. I had a sleep test last year - they used that. Full blood panel a month ago - they used that. They used my last 6 weigh ins at my doctor. And I have a regular therapist who approved me.

Also, my cravings are due to INSULIN INBALANCEs. Man some people are stupid. As far as being as big as I am, you LOOK like you're about 600 pounds so maybe you're right - you need this surgery bad.

Landensmommy You don't need to explane your self to us just know that all most everyone on this Fourm are here to support you and your Journy

and to hell with the negative jerks

Surgery Anniversary 7/30/12

Completely off topic...Ryan, I noticed you're also from NY? Did you also go to college in NY?

Completely off topic...Ryan, I noticed you're also from NY? Did you also go to college in NY?

Yes.

FYI. My BMI was 39.1' date=' with high blood pressure, pre diabetes, and PCOS. Count it, three health (weight related) issues. I was referred in the first place by my PCP who has been with me for years watching me struggle, loose 30lbs then gain it back, and so on and so on. I have worked with a nutritionist and still do, I write down everything that goes in my mouth, count all of calories, and eat pretty healthy. I also walk and go to the gym several times a week. I am just a big girl. With a slow metabolism. Everything when down hill after I had my son. I also have three abdominal hernias because I carry all my weight in the front, in my belly. I have a "apron" as they call it, that I have to life to put deodorant on so I do not get a nasty sweat pool under there because its 110 degrees right now where I live. If I would have had all the proper documentation of my Pcos and High blood pressure I would have been approved the first time, except I risked submitting to the insurance right away because of my weight alone. Knowing there would be a chance I would be denied. So when I re submitted I wanted to make sure I was at a 40 bmi because according to my insurance that was the reason why. Again Let me remind you guys that this is a SUPPORT GROUP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![/quote']

Wow I can't believe your insurance didn't approve you with a BMI of 39.1, I'm only 5'6 and my highest weight was 222 , I had high blood pressure and I was approve 3 days after they faxed my file... And my BMI was 35... That's odd that denied you with your health issues that sucks.... Just don't give up RNY is a long road. But it is your journey ... No one elses yours! Everyones body is different ! I wish you the best of luck and may God bless you!

7*10*12

Yes.

Nice

Insurance company's are a profit Making busines and can be a pain to deal with. If they approve to many people their bottom line starts to look bad,not for the stock holders but for the corp big shots.

I hold stock in insurance company's ,oil company's and most utility company's and when they make 10 billion dollars in a year Or more I don't see my stock dividends sky rocket ???

So we jump though what ever hoops the throw at us

Surgery Anniversary 7/30/12

So over this. Thank you for those of you who are here for support. I appreciate it. I mentioned this site to a few other people in my support group that I go to. I have met some really great people and have some close friends are are starting our journeys together :) heheheh like that MY JOURNEY? Its MY JOURNEY< and If i want to call it MY journey I will. You are a pathetic little man who needed to get off on coming in here and being mean to people. I am not going to continue to let you get off at fighting with people on the internet. Again MY journey. And for those of you who care I should know tomorrow or Tuesday whether or not I was approved. Thanks for all the kind words and support. I hope that this one negative person dose not discourage other people to share their stories on here. 100 lbs or 600lbs. people all have the same feelings, and the same size battle and we are here for each other, thats why we joined the site right?

Really this is stupid, he gave his opinion, you don't have to agree its America but going back and forth is childish and calling names and typing insults is just sillly. I don't agree with skirting the system with ankle weights and etc BUT I also think you should have been approved for all you other reasons. We are here to support doesn't mean we have to agree,.

This is the first time in the (short) existence of RNYTalk that I've received complaints/reports from members about a thread. This happens regularly and even daily on other WLS forums I run, but never here on RNYTalk.

It's very OK to disagree or have a differing opinion with another member. I actually encourage it!! There's never ever a reason to be impolite or rude or call another member a derogatory name, because you disagree with them.

Again, I request that our members read our posted forum rules so we don't have any misunderstandings in the future.

I'll list off our first 3 rules so you guys and gals get a drift of what I'm referring to:

RNYTalk Posting Guidelines

1. Everyone has a right to speak regardless of their perspective.

2. We take the "Be Polite" rule very seriously. We do not tolerate any rudeness. Any member who is intentionally unpleasant or disruptive may be banned without warning.

3. While we believe in free speech, keep in mind that this right is not absolute. Dissent is an essential part of any discussion where people are encouraged to express varying opinions; however, it is equally important to maintain both decorum and topicality as related to RNYTalk.com’s mission.