Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Las Vegas/alcohol

Would like some input about an upcoming trip... It is s Business Convention and I am trying to figure out a non carbonated, sugarfree, alcoholic beverage to sip on (a weeks worth of business dinners). Prior it would be Bacardi diet or Mike's lite hard lemonade, neither of which will work now. Doc gave me ok to have alcohol but I have no clue what other types of drinks to have. Thanks!

I believe the lowest calorie wise is vodka with club soda. But with the carbonation that won't work.

But vodka and cranberry is easy to sip

Alcohol I drink in the summer & that's only if we go out so like every 6 months. Piña colada with rum. Vodka with cranberry juice sounds good. Also it's not soda which has a lot of sugar.

How about wine?

Would like some input about an upcoming trip... It is s Business Convention and I am trying to figure out a non carbonated' date=' sugarfree, alcoholic beverage to sip on (a weeks worth of business dinners). Prior it would be Bacardi diet or Mike's lite hard lemonade, neither of which will work now. Doc gave me ok to have alcohol but I have no clue what other types of drinks to have. Thanks![/quote']

Thank you for asking this! I have 3 business trips coming up and I starting to wonder how I'm going to pull this off.

My first one is in 2 weeks and then 2 in September.

I was thinking of vodka with Water then putting a few drops of MIO in it.

I think wine might have too much sugar.

I really like the MIO idea... Can't stand Vodka but bet it would work with Bacardi. There is a liquor store around the corner and I'm hoping I can find "skinny girl" (as seen on TV lol)... I've heard they are low in sugar. Anyone ever tried them? I never realized alcoholic beverages don't have to have calorie, sugar, ect listed.

My grandfather used to make liquor and the bulk of any alcohol is sugar. Not a professional but is drinking alcohol customary? I have a friend that goes out sometimes and drinks ice Water but tells people its vodka if they ask to keep the peer pressure down...lol

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using RNYTalk

Can you go online and look at the nutritional stats for the drinks etc? I don't drink at all and honestly all that I have heard and the dangers of drinking with RNY if i did I would stay away from it as far as I could. You might want to research the dangers of drinking alcohol and death and serious issue for rny patients. Liver damage issues and death being serious consequences. (my friend's aunt died from liver damage due to drinking after rny and it was just wine a few times a week, not sure how much that is but does not seem like she was a drunk)

On line they talk about how doctors just seem to ignore it and do not educate their patients, so if we are trying to be healthy we should at least research and educate ourselves if our doctors are not going to do it. Maybe someone has some solid info (betting DLCoggins does) to share? I just thought we should be aware and make educated decisions about our bodies and health. I would post the info I found I just don't have the info with me where I am currently.

BTW I am not trying to lecture anyone or to tell them not to drink. Just to let you know that as an RNY patient you will not handle alcohol the same as before and it can be more dangerous and serious for you to drink. Just wanted to suggest that you do a bit of research prior to drinking to ensure your health and safety. Ok I was just a afraid I came off as if I was lecturing LOL.

Maybe someone has some solid info (betting DLCoggins does) to share?

No pressure here! LOL

OK, first let's make sure everyone understands that I am not a doctor, I do not have any medical training of any kind, and I do not work in the medical field. I'm just a plain old mere mortal that has done a fair amount of research into rny. So now that we have that clear...

The question is - does gastric bypass increase the chances of death from liver failure? After several hours of research, I have not found anything even resembling a definitive answer to that question. I have looked at mayo Clinic, the National Institute of Health, the Institute of Medicine of the National Academy of Science, the American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery, Harvard School of Public Health, WebMD, and several others. Here's what I've found so far:

• None of the sources have listed death from liver failure as a known risk associated with gastric bypass. That does not mean that it doesn't happen. But it could be interpreted as an indication that the rate of occurence is either rare or, a link between gastric bypass and liver failure has not been identified.
  • The existence of nonalcoholic fatty liver disease (Nonalcoholic steatohepatitis or NASH) in folks of all ages including adolescents suffering from morbid obesity is well documented. The National Institute of Health reports a study done to determine if the presence of the disease increases complications following laparascopic gastric bypass. Their conclusion: "Despite the high prevalence of NASH among morbidly obese surgical patients, this condition was not associated with increased risk for postoperative complications." http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/21948267. Additional information on NASH can be found at http://www.digestive...ases/pubs/nash/.
  • A study done in 2006 found that "The gastric bypass patient, therefore, may not only have higher rates of alcohol absorption, but at least in the early postoperative period, possible defects in alcohol clearance as well." The same study went on to say "Metabolic changes that occur with massive and rapid weight loss may also affect the amount of alcohol cleared by the liver via the microsomal ethanol metabolizing system. Alcohol metabolism by the microsomal ethanol metabolizing system substantially increases the risk for liver damage..." Several other sources emphasize avoiding alcohol entirely for at least six months, often referred to as the "rapid weight loss period", following gastric bypass. I know that my surgeon said absolutely no alcohol for six months following the surgery.

Is it possible that the death mentioned by odiemom was a case where there was substantial and undiagnosed liver damage prior to the bypass? Maybe. Could additional damage have resulted from alcohol consumption following the gastric bypass which resulted in death. Possibly.

The question is a good one and thumbs up to odiemom for bringing it to our attention. Unfortunately there does not appear to be a definitive, scientific answer - so far. I for one intend to ask my surgeon the question and I hope that others on the forum will do the same and post the information they receive from their doctors.

Here is a snippet of an article that discusses a bit about the dangers for RNY patients and below it is the link so you can read more if you are interested.

The article by Bariatric Times is very informative.

ALCOHOL METABOLISM AND TOXICITY

In the non-surgical patient, 60 to 90 percent of alcohol that enters the body is metabolized in the liver by the alcohol dehydrogenase (ADH) pathway. ADH is maximally activated by small amounts of alcohol but activity along the pathway can be reduced by an accumulation of end-products (i.e., NADH, acetaldehyde). Fasting and low calorie intake—such as occurs in the early postoperative period—as well as defects in hepatic mitochondrial function with obesity, per se, may reduce the metabolism of products of the ADH pathway, decreasing hepatic clearance of alcohol.[8-10] Furthermore, activities along the ADH pathway may be impaired by steatosis or fatty liver disease,[11] conditions that are relatively common among individuals with morbid obesity. The gastric bypass patient, therefore, may not only have higher rates of alcohol absorption, but at least in the early postoperative period, possible defects in alcohol clearance as well.

Metabolic changes that occur with massive and rapid weight loss may also affect the amount of alcohol cleared by the liver via the microsomal ethanol metabolizing system (P4502E1).[9,10,12] Activities along this pathway are increased in association with obesity[12-14] and are induced both by alcohol intake, free fatty acids and, possibly, ketone bodies.[12] Alcohol metabolism by the microsomal ethanol metabolizing system substantially increases the risk for liver damage, while at the same time making an individual more sensitive to the toxic and cancer-promoting effects of pollutants in the air, industrial solvents (such as those in household cleaners), and certain drugs, including acetaminophen.[9,10,12]

Alcohol use may cause hypoglycemia and, through reduction in the supply of glucose to neural tissue, cause possible neuromuscular and cognitive dysfunction, loss of consciousness, or even death.[15,16] To maintain appropriate glucose levels, the body stores sugar in the form of glycogen. Glycogen stores, however, can be depleted in a short period of time with fasting or a diet low in carbohydrates. Furthermore, alcohol reduces the process, glycogenesis, that allows sugar to be stored as glycogen.[15]

The bariatric patient, particularly in the rapid weight loss period and if on a carbohydrate-restricted diet, may have low amounts of glycogen. Drinking alcohol could deplete glycogen stores and reduce glucose homeostasis. The body, however, has another mechanism to maintain appropriate glycemic status, gluconeogenesis, the chemical pathway that converts certain components of Protein, lactic acid, and other substances into glucose. Unfortunately, alcohol also reduces the production of glucose by this process.[9,10,15]

A decline in blood glucose usually increases the production of glucagon and certain hormones of the autonomic nervous system and hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenal axis to restore blood glucose levels to normal by stimulating glycogenolysis or gluconeogenesis.[16,17] However, when someone drinks alcohol, the response of these hormones to a fall in blood sugar is blunted. To make matters worse, counterregulatory hormone responses to low blood sugar are also blunted or depressed in postoperative bariatric patients.[18] The bariatric patient when using alcohol may have a higher risk of becoming hypoglycemic than someone who has not had the surgery, particularly in the early postoperative period when calorie intake is substantially reduced and glycogen stores are likely to be low.[19]

Since neural tissue requires glucose for fuel, low blood levels could adversely affect neuromuscular and cognitive functions, causing a loss of coordination and balance, slurred speech, poor vision, and confusion.[16,17] These are all conditions that mimic those associated with intoxication. The patient described in the introduction who appeared extremely intoxicated even though she had not consumed a large amount of alcohol may have been hypoglycemic. Hypoglycemia could also have possibly accounted for the loss of coordination and balance that some of our surveyed patients claim they experienced hours after drinking alcohol.

The use of alcohol after surgery may cause irreversible brain and nerve damage, coma, and possible death by inhibiting the absorption of important Vitamins, including B-complex Vitamins, such as thiamin (B1) or Vitamin B12. Alcohol inhibits the absorption of thiamin and other B-complex vitamins, reduces activation of certain vitamins, and stimulates the breakdown of Vitamin A, pyridoxine, and folate.[9,10] These vitamins may already be deficient in bariatric patients because of nutrient restriction, malabsorption, or impartial digestion of foods produced by the respective surgery.20 Alcohol use, then, could compound the negative effects that bariatric surgery has on vitamin/mineral status and increase the risk for associated health problems, including neuropathy, an irreversible loss of various cognitive functions, defects in metabolism, a decrease in the body’s ability to heal, low immunity, and fatigue.[20,21]

Alcohol has numerous other toxic effects in the body. Not only does alcohol cause liver disease, but it also negatively affects other tissues.[1,8-12,22] Alcohol’s influence on the heart includes myocarditis, cardiomyopathy, arrythmias, and increased risk for sudden death. Skeletal muscle is particularly susceptible to alcohol toxicity with loss of muscle mass and strength. Alcohol causes inflammation of the intestinal tract, gastritis, pancreatitis, acid reflux disease, and increased risk for gastric and esophageal cancers. Alcohol also causes damage—often irreversible—to neural tissue.

Link:

http://bariatrictimes.com/2006/10/22/alcohol-and-the-gastric-bypass-patient/

Here is to being as educated as possible about our new bodies.

Impossible! All alcohol turns into straight sugar as soon as you drink it! To keep sugar as low as possible, drink it straight on the rocks! After bypass the alcohol goes straight to the blood, so be cautious as you really cant drink as much as before. The ratio is 3 to 1, for every 2 oz of Alcohol u consume ( 2oz is standard measure for a shot and for the other drinks) , your body gets the affect of 3 -2oz shots..... So be careful.

Suggestion, crystal light has mix drink flavors, take some with you and ask bartender to make your drinks with it instead of the syrups they normall use, u can also ask for half the alcohol.

Or, just have then give u just crystal light but in a mix drink looking presentation so everyone has the impression you are drinking right a long with them. That's what I do...I still have just as much fun and so far every bartender I've asked has no problem doing it, especially cause I tip as if it's n alcohol drink !

Great post DLC and patty. I was going to say that I was told the ratio as well is 1:3 so every drink an rny pt has is = to 3. My dietician and surgeon said that I could have a drink once in a while and there is some merit in a small glass of red wine now and again providing health benefits but we all have to be carefully and remember moderation. My rule now is any alcohol and keys go to someone else period. I havnt had a drink but am going to world EMS expo in new Orleans in October and will have a drink.

Great post

Surgiversary 07/24/12 Sent from my iPhone.

I agree with all the others and would like to add that one of my major concerns with drinking after rny is the increases risk of ulcers. I had pretty bad gerd before rny and I'm betting lots of you all did too. Its not worth it to me to get sloppy drunk from a drink, possibly dump or cause liver damage or ulcers. Maybe after a few months will have one small drink on special occasions but not ready yet.

Would like some input about an upcoming trip... It is s Business Convention and I am trying to figure out a non carbonated' date=' sugarfree, alcoholic beverage to sip on (a weeks worth of business dinners). Prior it would be Bacardi diet or Mike's lite hard lemonade, neither of which will work now. Doc gave me ok to have alcohol but I have no clue what other types of drinks to have. Thanks![/quote']

All I can say is that I am 8 yrs post op, having a revision on 8/20. I did not have a drink until a year after my first RNY at the beginning I did get pretty tipsy with just one drink, over the years I built up a tolerance to quite a few especially over the past three years. I discovered Key West and would go once to twice a month and would drink pretty much all day long. With that being said, I do blame part of my weight gain on my bad decision to drink. The best advice I can give you is if you think you can use it in moderation, sparingly then go for it but be aware that although I have had no ulcers, gerd or anything like this I have gained weight and I truly believe that this is to blame. BTW in response to ur question I began with diet cranberry and vodka or rum, then coconut rum straight, then changed to margaritas with the last two probably causing the weight gain because of the sugar content. Good luck and have fun!