Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Underactive Thyroid Question

to the postop people ... did any of you have to take thyroid medication before surgery? (As in you had an underactive thyroid and they gave you medicaiton to take every day to help control it)

If so ... how is it after surgery? do you still take the thyroid medication? Did you have to adjust it?

I had my thyroid removed a really long time ago, I have been on thyroid hormone replacement meds ever since. I am hypothyroid (underactive), my meds have not changed and my thyroid function blood work has remained the same since surgery. I still take the same amount of thyroid meds after surgery as I did before. I am 13 wks RNY post op.

I had my thyroid removed a really long time ago, I have been on thyroid hormone replacement meds ever since. I am hypothyroid (underactive), my meds have not changed and my thyroid function blood work has remained the same since surgery. I still take the same amount of thyroid meds after surgery as I did before. I am 13 wks RNY post op.

I still have my thyroid .... so was wondering if thyroid function returns after weight loss surgery. My dr has told me since I was 16 (I am now 43) "if you'd lose weight you wouldnt have this thyroid problem"....and I guess I am anxious to see if he was right....or if it remains the same.

Thanks for your input!

My weight was up and down ever since I developed a thyroid problem. At one point I lost 100 lbs. by diet and exercise and my thyroid stayed the same. I don't see how loosing weight would effect your thyroid ?? does not make sense.

Surgery almost a yr ago n still told to keep taking the thyroid med. My doc said this is a lifetime med.

(I took myself off my thyroid n liver meds I wanna see what my next bloodwork results say.) if no change for the better I will go back on.

Good luck!

Thyroid is a life time deal. Not sure why your Dr. would say that unless he is using it as leverage to get you to loss weight. My hubby has been up and down the scale. He will never stop taking it and his dose has remained constant. But the weight lose probably could help thyriod side effects.

I'm 4 weeks post op and still on synthroid. No adjustment or anything so far. Getting blood work soon. I don't think it will ever completely go away.

Thyroid is a life time deal. Not sure why your Dr. would say that unless he is using it as leverage to get you to loss weight. My hubby has been up and down the scale. He will never stop taking it and his dose has remained constant. But the weight lose probably could help thyriod side effects.

He was a mean hateful (skinny) butthole of a Dr! I tried EVERYTHING to lose bulk weight... and I lost 65-100 lbs a few times...but always back up...then down...then higher! I have PCOS as well and he wouldnt treat me for that at all....said it was just fat and i'd either lose the weight or live with it.

2 weeks post op and still taking synthroid. Am under the impression it will be a life time thing. And that doctor was an asshole !! I work with doctors day in and day out for almost 30 years now.... Most are awesome.... Some are assholes, just a fact.

Time for a new doctor.

Just got back from my sixth month post op. I have been feeling horrible and didn't lose much weight. I have been taking thyroid medicine for 5 years and have been stable. However the labs show it is now worse than before and probably the reason I am shrinking but not losing pounds. They said it is rare for the thyroid to change after surgery, but it obviously can happen and derail all this hard work. Get a good aggressive doctor that will watch you closely. I should have been tested earlier but my symptoms were attributed to sides affects of gastric bypass not hypothyroidism. Hopefully on the right path now.

Thank you for this information. My RNY dr did say I needed to keep a watch on it for about a year to make sure it stays on an even level. I am going to be proactive about making sure I keep it in check.

Thanks again for your response, it confirms that I MUST make them check my levels often and be sure I am not getting in to trouble with it. I can usually tell fairly soon when my level changes because of my energy levels, but I think now it could be confused with a "down" post surgery day.

Keep me posted on how you're doing with it!

I've been on thyroid since a teenager. Have lost, gained and maintained weight throughout. Now losing on RNY but know that thyroid will be a lifetime med and will sometimes need adjustment up or down. Just be aware of how you are feeling energy wise and do not neglect to have tested at least yearly. Weight loss can improve some but usually not completely remove the need for support.

It's a lifelong thing. I was told by my endocrinologist. However, due to our surgery, we might not be absorbing all the medication correctly so, we might need a dose adjustment at sometime. Not true for everyone but, it might be the reason for some decreased energy levels. So not a bad thing at all to have checked once in a while. Good luck everyone!

surgery date: 7/30/12

So I had surgery on Aug 13th...down 54 lbs... went on Friday to have my TSH level checked.... the Dr's Office just called and told me they are decreasing my Thyroid meds from 150mcg to 125 mcg cause my level is now 0.143....amazing! I have NEVER had a TSH level lower than 9.0.... I have been taking meds since I was 16 years old. Not sure if the surgery helped me get it that low...but WOW.. I do feel so much better, more energy! Still freezing,but not sure all of that is Thyroid problems.