Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Not A Loser But A Staller....:( (Aka Failure)

I am so frustrated! I know everyone has issues with this, but to be honest I thought I would go through a stall and then start moving and then it would be a couple months at least before I hit another stall. But NO... I am in this vicious cycle that is emotionally draining and has be stressed out and frustrated.

The week before sugery I lost 11 pounds, then in the next 2 weeks I lost 20 pounds but as of 2 weeks post op I have begun this cycle. I gain a pound then I stall for a week, lose 2-3 pounds then gain a pound and stall for a minimum of a week and then restart. I have lost a total of 10 pounds since my 2 week post op weigh in. I am now almost 8 weeks post op, so that is 6 weeks without losing more than 10 pounds.

Don't get me wrong I know it is great I have lost 40 pounds YAY ME!! but to only lose 10 pounds in 6 weeks at this stage is so hard to deal with. I feel like I am going nowhere and why did I do this surgery?? I eat between 400 to 800 calories a day and I always exercise, with one day off a week for the required break from exercising. I have started uping my calories to above 600 and increasing exercising but nothing seems to be making a difference!! I think I would just give up if I could, but I don't want to and I am determined not to, but to be honest this sucks and I am so tired of not losing weight or inches etc. I have seen minimal progress in 6 weeks. I know its better for my skin, but that is just words that don't really take away the frustration or anger at what's happening right now.

I was told that we lose the bulk of our weight in the first 3 months and then it really slows down, so what the heck? I must be screwed then. I am sorry to be going off, but I am so frustrated and emotional about this. I wanted to succeed at this and finally get healthy and be there for my children and husband, but it seems to be not working for me. No matter how hard I am trying or how positive I have tried to be. How do you keep being positive when hope is slowly draining away and others seems to just be melting away? I know I can't compare myself to others but that is impossible and I am comparing myself to others who started at my weight and some I know lost way more than me are cheating on this (eating pizza etc. and never exercise!!) so how to stay motivated and when will this start to work for me? I begin to think I just dont deserve to get healthy and that is what my body is telling me, that I am just the failure I always have been. I am tired of being emotional and tired and not making progress.

Ok enough whining...thanks for listening.

Ellie

The normal weight loss is about 2lbs a week.

I am so sorry to hear about your struggle. I would not give up this early. Your body has been through a tremendous shock and everyone responds differently. I would say that, long term, it is physiologically impossible to continue to eat 400-800 cal and not lose weight. Especially w exercise. So whatever you do, don't stop what you're doing. Just stay the course. My favorite saying on this WLS journey is "my race, my pace". Just trust in the process. Good luck.

Always remember that exercising increases your muscle mass and that weighs more than fat. I have struggled with losing as well. I am 8 weeks post op and I am down 37 pounds I can't seem to say goodbye to the 220's!

I am so frustrated! I know everyone has issues with this' date=' but to be honest I thought I would go through a stall and then start moving and then it would be a couple months at least before I hit another stall. But NO... I am in this vicious cycle that is emotionally draining and has be stressed out and frustrated.

The week before sugery I lost 11 pounds, then in the next 2 weeks I lost 20 pounds but as of 2 weeks post op I have begun this cycle. I gain a pound then I stall for a week, lose 2-3 pounds then gain a pound and stall for a minimum of a week and then restart. I have lost a total of 10 pounds since my 2 week post op weigh in. I am now almost 8 weeks post op, so that is 6 weeks without losing more than 10 pounds.

Don't get me wrong I know it is great I have lost 40 pounds YAY ME!! but to only lose 10 pounds in 6 weeks at this stage is so hard to deal with. I feel like I am going nowhere and why did I do this surgery?? I eat between 400 to 800 calories a day and I always exercise, with one day off a week for the required break from exercising. I have started uping my calories to above 600 and increasing exercising but nothing seems to be making a difference!! I think I would just give up if I could, but I don't want to and I am determined not to, but to be honest this sucks and I am so tired of not losing weight or inches etc. I have seen minimal progress in 6 weeks. I know its better for my skin, but that is just words that don't really take away the frustration or anger at what's happening right now.

I was told that we lose the bulk of our weight in the first 3 months and then it really slows down, so what the heck? I must be screwed then. I am sorry to be going off, but I am so frustrated and emotional about this. I wanted to succeed at this and finally get healthy and be there for my children and husband, but it seems to be not working for me. No matter how hard I am trying or how positive I have tried to be. How do you keep being positive when hope is slowly draining away and others seems to just be melting away? I know I can't compare myself to others but that is impossible and I am comparing myself to others who started at my weight and some I know lost way more than me are cheating on this (eating pizza etc. and never exercise!!) so how to stay motivated and when will this start to work for me? I begin to think I just dont deserve to get healthy and that is what my body is telling me, that I am just the failure I always have been. I am tired of being emotional and tired and not making progress.

Ellie[/quote']

I went through a similar ordeal...make sure you are reading labels and that your fat intake is extremely low. My fitness pal is a very good tool for this. In your daily totals you can select the pie chart and its a really great visual on where you are...also I increased my Protein to over 80 grams a day and I started losing weight again...it seems the higher the Protein the more weight I lose. Everyone's surgeon is different on amount of protein but once I started doubling up on protein (suggested by a friend since we have malabsorption) then I started to see better results. I'm actually at the point now where if it doesn't have protein in it then I don't eat it. Dint get discouraged. Sometimes you have to take matters into your own hands and I would encourage you to up your protein. Some days I hit 100 grams of protein...sounds hard but in reading all of the posts here I've learned quite a few tricks...I hope this helps. The nutritionist always says protein Protein PROTEIN! Lol

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using RNYTalk

Is it possible that you're overanalyzing this? Like really wayyyyy overanalyzing? You've lost 40 pounds in 8 weeks. No matter how you slice it, that's five pounds a week. No matter what the pattern was, that's five pounds a week. You're frustrated and feel like a failure - and you're losing five pounds a week. Hope is draining away - and you're losing five pounds a week. When was the last time you lost five pounds a week before your surgery? You're doing exactly what you should be doing - and you're getting exactly the results you should be getting.

Increasing your calorie intake - good idea. 400 to 800 calories a day - not sustainable, not a life style change, not healthy, and it may be the reason you're seeing irregular fluctuations in your weight loss. Your body responds to too few calories by slowing your metabolism in an effort to conserve fuel. Are you getting ALL of your Protein? You might want to consider increasing your Protein to 100g a day for a few days. That will boost your metabolism and force your body to burn stored fat.

Have you talked to your doctor? Your nutritionist? Perhaps even your psychologist? These folks are experts and they are there to help you. Pretty good chance that you won't be the first frustrated patient they've seen. LOL

Plateaus are part of the natural course of weight loss. Stay focused on following the protocol, stay active, and stay away from the scales for at least two weeks. It will pass. Take a little time to re-examine your expectations. Are they realistic? Are they consistent with the science and the facts behind RNY? Stop sabotaging yourself. Impossible not to compare yourself to others? That is simply not true and a recipe for failure. Every single one of us is different. There are no absolutes. The fact that your weight loss might be different from mine means nothing. Expect to lose the bulk of your weight in the first three months? Complete, utter nonsense that has no scientific basis whatsoever. Expect to lose the bulk of your weight in the first year to eighteen months - that is well documented and supported by more than 30 years of studies.

Stop analyzing and let your body find it's own way. Patience is not only a virtue, it's a necessity. You're gonna love the new you!!

All great advise... For me it was Protein protein protein.... I eat or drink protein above all else... It's almost like the Atkins diet. Only way I can still maintain my weight loss every week... Hang in there honey you really are doing great!!!

I didn't realize you were at the 8 week mark...I'm going to have to free with DL...what part of 40 lbs. In 8 weeks makes this a failure? This isn't a race and I was told that you have a year....that's 52 weeks. You're only at 8 weeks. If you lose 3 lbs a week which is 12 lbs a month that's a total of 144 lbs in a year. Its very important NOT to get caught up in unrealistic expectations. You are doing awesome and its important to start telling yourself so because positive thoughts produce positive results :)

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using RNYTalk

I have come to a stall as well, but I know I need to increase Protein. It doesn't bother me too much though. I'm exactly 30 days out as of today. Don't be discouraged. It will get better. I actually think you're doing great.

Your story sounds just like me, I read what everyone said about the more Protein and I will add another Protein Shake and see if it helps. It is very upsetting, I agree 100%! I pray the protein is the trick!

I am so frustrated! I know everyone has issues with this' date=' but to be honest I thought I would go through a stall and then start moving and then it would be a couple months at least before I hit another stall. But NO... I am in this vicious cycle that is emotionally draining and has be stressed out and frustrated.

Ellie[/quote']

OdieMom I've lost 29 # in 7 weeks and I think I'm doing great....and it's a lot less then you have lost. It is so much more than I could have ever lost before surgery. My doc and NUT say I'm right on track. I try not to compare myself to others and I'm always thinking ...my doc and NUT told me it will take a year for me to lose 100# ... And I'm only 7 weeks and down 29! Try to stay positive and not stress ...keep posting :-)

When I get this same frustration - I think to myself- prior to surgery chances are I'd be gaining weight and never losing! Also it's Important to remember - the weight wasn't put on overnight it's not going to come off overnight! You are doing fantastic! Please don't me so hard on yourself!