Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What Peeves you?

I just thought of another pet peeve of mine.

Patients who exaggerate.

Someone quits drinking soda and they get caffeine headaches but noooooo, it's a MIIIIIIIGRAINE!

Someone has a hangnail and they claim they almost lost a finger!

Someone comes in complaining of a raging infection and they MUST have antibiotics. They have no fever so then they claim their usual temp runs verrrry low so 98.6 is extremely high for them. (this one is common)

When they have no fever we draw a white cell count and it's normal. Guess what? That runs low on them too so a "normal" value for everyone else is 'freak'en HIGH' for them. You'd think they would be happy that they aren't sick for goodness sakes.

Some claim they barfed gallons and gallons of blood. Makes this nurse wonder how they are still alive let alone walking and with good color.

People exaggerate all the time, how stupid is that? Someday they'll be telling the truth and nobody is going to believe them.

I don't like it when people won't let me pass them on the interstate! LOL they speed up as I try to pass them....what's up with that???

I thought I would start a thread (sorry if there is already one like this), for people to share with the world, any pet peeves they might have - regardless of how small it/they might be.

So LBT.... What irks you?... What gets under your skin? Get it off your chest!!!

Stupid people irritate me.

Not IGNORANT people, stupid people.

Stupid people irritate me.

Not IGNORANT people, stupid people.

LOL Ignorance can be fixed, stupid is forever.:faint:

Ah, where do I start? (And most people say that I'm easy going!). So here are a few:

Grammar and punctuation: I bristle when people use the word "real" incorrectly--real cold, real good, real nice, etc. Even national newscasters and weathermen are doing this now. Has it become so incorrectly acceptable?

Apostrophe catastrophes: "the dog ate it's food," "the Smith's bought a new home," "the Jones' are our friends,"... you get the idea!

Punctuation: putting the punctuation mark OUTSIDE the quotation mark as in: we are all "friends".

Not using punctuation or capitalization (Or Capitalizing EVERY Word). I don't even read posts like that because it gives me a headache trying to figure out what they are trying to say.

Argh. I could go on, but you get the idea.

Other peeves: call waiting ("excuse me, but I have another call coming in and I need to see if that person is more important than you and this conversation").

Cell phones in restaurants. Or movie theatres. Or meetings. Or the grocery store. Or restrooms. I really don't want to listen to your conversation--don't make me!

People who call their children "Monster," "Tyrannt," "incorrigble," etc. and then are surprised that the kids act that way. Duh!

Well, I feel better already. Thanks for the rant! Ohmmmmmmmmmmm. Ohmmmmmmmmmm.

Here's another pet peeve!!!!

I think you should give your kids encouragement when they need it, build their self esteem, make them feel loved and appreciated. I also think that building them up with false positivity is harmful. There is a difference between you can do and be anything you want to and you can behave anyway you want to. I don't see anything wrong with saying you can do or be anything you want to be. However, turning them into self centered, egomaniacs, who never think of anyone but themselves, and never take any responsibility for their bad behavior makes my skin crawl.

Actually, that is one of my pet peeves, when people say that you can do and be anything you want. I hate that. Its not true. Telling kids that just sets them up for disapointment. I certainly cannot do or be anything I want. I lack the abilities. I want to do well in math beyond basic calculus, but that doesn't mean I can. I am not going to be able to either, not matter how hard I work at it unless someone discoveres a cure for learning disabilities or finds a way to give me a higher IQ or something.

I couldn't agree more. Too much "positive reinforcement" can be harmful to children in the long run. They lose all perspective of reality if constantly told everything they do is "wonderful" .

American Idol is a prime example of this. During the auditions, a good percentage of the horrible singeres (if you can call them singers) are genuinely surprised to hear that they suck. As a parent, don't you owe it to your kid to be honest, instead of inflate his/her head with ideas of grandeur. The truth is bound to come out sooner or later....

My second pet peeve is those that brush their teeth in the public bathroom at work. I don't want to watch my husband brush his teeth, let alone a co-worker. It's just too gross for me.

I'm not fond of watching other people brush their teeth either. But, I am less fond of talking to the many co-workers I have with rotted out teeth, bad breath and/or chewing tobacco all over their mouth. I brush my teeth/floss/mouthwash at work at least 3 times during my 12 hour shift. I happen to have the locker room to myself because I'm the only girl on my crew but even if there were 50 girls on my crew, I still want to keep my good teeth/breath.

I love King of Queens, by the way. I used to love Roseanne, too. Right up until it got so popular that she took over every aspect of the show and it became downright STUPID.

Rosanne is still one of my most favorite shows. I watch all the re-runs on Nick at Nite. I thought the show lost its funny right after they won the lottery. The whole funny about the show was that it was relatable to me. Poor family, struggles with weight, tomboy, smart ass comments. My mom used to call me Darlene when I was younger because I watched that show and played sports and wanted to be a boy like my twin brother.

I agree with Julz---I told my children they could be anything they wanted, if they did the work to get there. Why should I be the one to decide where their ceilings should be set? That would be like someone coming up to me a year ago saying I would never be able to lose this weight. I am sure without the band they would have been right, but I FOUND a way!!! If you want something, sometimes you have to look for other ways to achieve that. My DD also struggled with math---and used a tutor to bring herself up to par when she needed to---it was not something that come naturally to her. She is currently a nurse, using what she has learned, and is soon quitting to attend the police academy. Lots of people told her she could not make the cut when she tested, there were 5 women, and 7 men, she and 4 men made it through the written test, and the agility test. She interviews for the academy this next week.

Now what should we tell our kids?

"You got poor grades, so give up, and quit trying, you are wasting our time?" How do you seriously choose how far THEY can go?

I have read tons of posts on this site, from bandsters who do not have the support of their family---or their family members say hurtful things to them, either intentionally or not. I would much rather my child grow into adult hood thinking (knowing) I had full faith in them and their ability, than them to think I doubted them.

I agree that we need to be honest with our kids, and not heap undue praise on them. When their shortcoming are obvious, and there is nothing wrong with that honesty--- I believe that is when you encourage in another direction. But you also have to keep in mind, that it is difficult to see that some times through "Mommy eyes". The little girl who cannot keep up during her dance recital, is being viewed by her Mommy as the most adorable child on the stage---and possibly with great pride by the Mommy who was always too afraid to perform in public. I seriously hope by the time American Idol comes around, they both realize maybe her strong point is something else!!!!

We have a friends Father who chews tobacco, and I swear I think he swishes it around and gargles with it---it is all over his teeth, and lips, and he spits-----grosses me out! Think I'll send him to see Becky, for brushing and flossing lessons!

Kat

When you prepay for gas and the pump stops 25 cents shy of what you paid and crawls slowly up to the amount you paid. Why can't they just stop the pump 5 cents before or right on what you paid? When it is -10 outside and the wind is blowing that extra minute waiting for the final 25 cents worth of gas to pump is excruciating.

I'm dragging up this thread again because there's something bugging the hell out of me.

I was up fairly late last night doing a bit of channel surfing and kept coming across the same set of commercials for a phone chat line. They showed young women, with cameras focused on bare midriffs as they were writhing around talking on cordless phones. They looked like they may have been nineteen if you used your imagination.

However, when they opened their mouths and talked they were 13 - 14 year olds. I'm around a lot of kids this age and know how they talk and it's not like 19 year olds.

I hate this. They likely were of age but were definitely talking younger. It's a creeping tendency to sexualize children.

I'm dragging up this thread again because there's something bugging the hell out of me.

I was up fairly late last night doing a bit of channel surfing and kept coming across the same set of commercials for a phone chat line. They showed young women, with cameras focused on bare midriffs as they were writhing around talking on cordless phones. They looked like they may have been nineteen if you used your imagination....

What bothers me is that they play the same 3 phone chat commercials over and over and over during the same program. They are more annoying than car dealer commercials.

My new peeve for the day: Cashiers who don't know to give change correctly. They put the dollar bills in your hand first and then the coins on top. This is especially bad at the drive thru window because you have to pull your arm back in the car while trying to hold your hand palm up to avoid dropping all the coins. Why don't their managers teach them that the correct way is to put the coins in the customer's hand first, allow the customer to close 3 fingers around the coins, and then put the dollars in the customer's hand so she can close her thumb and index finger around them? Is that such a difficult concept?

Wow, what a thread...I am exhausted! This was very entertaining! Thanks.

I just discovered I have a new one. Which and witch. Not to mention sandwitch.

Grrrrrrr

I realize that for someone like me that can't spell this is a silly pet peeve but geez... at least spell the same words I do incorrectly! :)