Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Surgery Set Up For 5/21 Thinking Of Backing Out

Hey everyone , I'm set up for gastric bypass on 5/21 but I'm having second thoughts because of all the horror stories everyone tells me. All of my doctors are on board but everytime I tell someone I'm getting bypass they always know someone who got really sick or died from it. I need reassurance !!!! Please help!!

People did that to me to. I smiled and went on. I am now 6 days post op a little sore and walked 1/2 mile today. I am not sure how much I have lost I am trying to stay away from the scale. There are days that are rough but just remember you are doing this for your health.

I have a friend that was told a million horror stories about weight loss surgery in general and I think those people are so apprehensive about the surgery that they think the worst and it always seems like those who don't know much about it or do not like the idea of it always know "people" who have had complications or died from it! Keep your head up and do what you think is best for you don't change your mind because of other people just do what you want to do!

Sent from my iPhone using RNYTalk

Hi John, I haven't received a date yet for my surgery but, I did have Lapband surgery and went through the same thing. Everyone thinks they know what's best but, you know only YOU can make that decision. Think about the reasons why you're thinking about the surgery and why you started this journey in the first place. With any surgery..heck with anything we do with our bodies there are risks. It's whether those risks out-weigh the risk of being obese. If you have too many doubts within yourself, not taking into account what others who haven't had the surgery but, within yourself then maybe you should post pone it so you're comfortable. You don't want to go into anything not having your whole heart behind it. Are you scared and nervous.....sure you have to be. Heck this is no light surgery and if you weren't a little scared or nervous then I would say there is something wrong! I don't have a date and I'm nervous but, I really...REALLY...don't want to keep up with this weight and then some because I'm sure I'd gain more. I already have enough aches and pains that make me stop in my tracks. I want to be able to go places and do things as I get older...I want to retire and actually be able to do things I can't do during my working years. Anywho......people mean well but, heck we've all heard horror stories and if you did your studying and researching for your surgery you saw and read stuff too.

The risk is much, much less now than it was even four years ago. They've improved their techniques etc. So think hard and deep....maybe a pro/con list for yourself and take it from there. Heck even call the surgeon, therapist or your bariatric center's help desk and let them know your feelings. I can bet they'd offer help :)

Good luck with whatever decision you make just make sure its the best one for you :)

John there's risks involved if you don't have the surgery and you can die from that as well! And have you heard success stories? I have three friends who had it done and it was the best decision they ever made! Go hang out at your doctor's office with patients who have had it done from your surgeon and get feed back from them, where I'm going they offer support groups which I plan to attend, I think it's awesome to be able to share with someone who can relate to what you are going through. Good luck and I wish you the best!!

Thank you all so very much. With my situation I do believe the benefits greatly outweigh the risks. I have to stop listening to what people have to say. I'm a diabetic I have complications from that . I was on dialysis for 2 years until I got my kidney transplant in July 2006 . I had the lapband surgery in June 2005 to lose weight for my transplant and I lost 120 lbs. but since then it's been a yoyo affect for me because of the amount of medications I take . All of my doctors are on board with me getting the bypass and I'm definitely doing it. I'll keep you all posted!

I felt exactly the same way. What made me more confident with my decision was researching the success stories. For every horror story there are many more success ones out there. And one thing I noticed also was even the people who had the horror stories said they would do it again and it was worth it. That made feel so much better. Hope this helps =)

I was scared too. But I just prayed that everything would be okay and that I would have no complications. Just be positive and do everything that the dr says. It will be okay. Good luck.

In my opinion I only care about how I feel & my doctor/surgeon. Everyone will always have something to say. For example my hubby doesn't agree with me having surgery & idc what he has to say. How does he know how I feel? He never been over weight. He tells me just cut down & don't drink soda but how? He always wants soda in the house & I cook 7 days a week 3 full meals per day. He only likes fried food or baked. Also stew & lots of rice he is puerto rican. Well enough said LMFAO my point is you do what you have to for your self not your friends or your family but your self.

Thank you Erin , crystal and mami . I'm actually at pre surgical testing right now at NYU in NYC . You all made me wake up!! Thanks

That's why I didn't tell many people. I did my research and there's more success stories than horror stories. You also have to realize that some people don't do what they are supposed to do. Then they won't to blame the doctor.

John....when I saw the therapist just last week she told me they're acutally thinking of offering bypass to diabetes patients because it's been so successful in helping with the disease. So folks who don't necessarily have to lose weight may also be getting the surgery to cure their diabetes. She said it's because of the re-routing that's done, it helps keep the sugar spikes and lows more even. CAn't explain it like she did. I don't have diabetes but, we talk about the surgery and she happened to mention it. I thought that tid bit was quite interesting. It also made me realize if they're going to offer the surgery to folks who don't need to lose weight then it's safer than it used to be.

wishing you the best of luck on your surgery! like the others said, this is for YOU and YOUR health. you will get in what you put into it. it's what i keep telling myself. my tentative date, (upon today's test results and insurance approval) is 1 day after yours. i'll be cheering you on.

btw-my hubby had the RNY in 2010 and did very well. his problems were with staying hydrated (only inthe first few days) and getting in Protein (the first few weeks) because he's picky regarding food. that being said, he's now doing great, has had remarkable relief from his plantar placitis (sp?) because there's no longer as much weight on his feet, has increased energy, and he looks so handsome! it wasn't easy, and i'm really proud of him. i'm sure your family will be as well-not to mention happy for the chance to have you healthy and have an increased life span. :]

You will do fine im saying a prayer that everything will be fine. My surgery us on17th. Ill let u kniw how i do

I got some people who were excited for me and others who told me the same thing like yourself. The way I saw it was that there are may be complications with the surgery like there may be complications with my health if I didn't get it. I was already dealing with complications with my health so what did I have to lose? I have a one year old daughter and a loving wife that of course I want to be around for. All you can do is pray and surround yourself with positive people. God knows when it's your time to go, surgery or no surgery. Don't back out. So far it's the best choice I've made and I'm barely three weeks out from my RNY. Good luck man.