Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

For Just Us Guys

Same vague answers are in order here as well. Some people talk about being able to feel the port. Some people also say that they could start to feel it once the weight came off. I can't feel it now at all. Not sure about after the weight comes off.

After the mushies phase, you can go back to eating normal foods in smaller portions, but it is also true that most bandsters find that they can't eat certain things. For some reason a fair number of people have trouble with chicken. Almost everyone has trouble with bread, although it seems to be easier if it is toasted. Some people can't eat vegetables, or salads, or fruit, etc. etc.

Another thing to keep in mind. Since you will be eating less you really need to focus on what you are eating so you get in enough nutrients. I'm not a nutritionist, but everyone here seems to be focused all the time on getting in enough Protein. Since you can't eat a lot, you need to eat protein first, then vegetables and fruits. You also need to take Vitamin and Calcium supplements. I've also started taking cod liver oil for the Omega 3. So, even if you "can" eat Twinkies, you are just not going to have the room for it, if you want to stay healthy.

As a final note, keep in mind that I'm not an expert here. I did not even stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night. What you are getting from me is what I've learned here over the last few months, and my own personal experience being banded for the last month. There is also a wealth of other knowledge and opinion on this forum. A lot of these same issues come up for a lot of people. I recommend doing some browsing. I think you will find it interesting and valuable.

But if you have any other questions I'll see what I can do to answer them.

HI MArk,

Thanks again. I do realise that you are not an expert, but you have benn there and done it and I'd rather hear from you than read some blurb on a promotional website!

I'm off to explore!

Dave

Welcome : Davethesailor and TheCascadian:clap2: and eny one that I missed :)

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Hows every one doing ? I'm doing good, and my cold is 99% gone. Last night I had some sharp pain in my port hole that woke me up at 1:00am. I got up and moved around a little then went back to bed, I think it was gas build up, because after a few good farts :guess it was gone and I went back to sleep..(It felt like a red hot poker) Has eny body had this happen to them? Other then that my scare are getting healed great and the belly hair is coming back nicely:rolleyes:

Hey all,

All I gotta say is that the person that developed the preop liquid diet needs to be kicks right square in the nuts:( I feel like garbadge after having to stretch my food to a full 24 hours and more (I have to stay up all day and then work a 12 hour graveyard shift)

I hope this gets easier

Chris

Chris,

How long do you have to do liquids? The 24 hour thing would be a challenge. Ask your Dr if you can add a shake or two. I was 10 days before surgery. After the first couple days, it got much easier. Get your Protein in. It help you feel a little more "full" and provides energy. It's also amazing how much weight I lost (18 lbs) in 10 days. I'm still on liquids (last day) and have lost 30 lbs (about 25% of my goal).

Better days are ahead!!!

Bruce

liquid diet sucks, I have been on it for 15 days, (10 days pre and 5 days post) and I already hate it. What I did about 5 days before the surgery is I ask my doc if I could have a last "normal" meal and he said OK, that was a life saver.

I'm so glad my doctor didn't require 2 weeks liquid pre-op. I barely lasted 2 weeks post op before I started going crazy. I ultimately had to go in there and ask to move to mushies. He let me move on a few days early cause I wasn't having any issues and my blood tests looked good.

It all gets better once you're off liquids.

I get banded in the morning, 2-14-07. I am a little concerned about the surgery. I really don't want to die young (39).

Neil, you are truely inspirational. I would be very curious to hear the type of diet you subscribed to once you were past the liquid stage. Maybe an idea of what your menu looks like on a given day.

Well, hope to post again in a few days, should be home from hosp on Thurs.

Sean5732

I get banded in the morning, 2-14-07. I am a little concerned about the surgery. I really don't want to die young (39).

Neil, you are truely inspirational. I would be very curious to hear the type of diet you subscribed to once you were past the liquid stage. Maybe an idea of what your menu looks like on a given day.

Well, hope to post again in a few days, should be home from hosp on Thurs.

Sean5732

Good luck Shean5732, see you in the other side.

Ditto on Neil, You are trully an inspiration to me and Im sure others, but I also wonder what your diet looks like. Hope you can let us newbies know.

Thanks guys,

I feel better now that I have gotten some sleep. 24 hr days are a real bear!

I have 2 full weeks o nthis preop liquid diet so I ought to be real fun to be around haha!!! The good news is I only have 13 days to go:faint:

Chris

Hey Sean5732 Good luck to you in the AM !!! Just remember WALK,WALK ,WALK as soon as you can and for long as you can ,to keep the old gas pains from visiting you....:faint:

Woohooo just had my initial surgeon visit today ! Gave me that big checklist of things I need to do :faint:. I cant believe they make you see some psychologist DR . I asked her why and she says its to see if you want this for cosmetic reasons or health reasons. I was like what do you think ......... BOTH and better sex of course :) .( Wanna finish that Chinese position book :heh: )

Then there are some darn classes I have to take and thats 500 $ out of pocket ! :cry

I guess it will all be worth it in the end. Hoping to get my surgery within the next 2 months.

Good luck Sean. Keep the new slimmer you in your head and yes walk. You can do it!

Chris, yes lots of hoops to jump through, but you will join us soon.

Bruce

Chris NJ, Are you self pay ? I was self pay and went to Mexico where I did not have to do all that mumbo jumbo before my band. I just went a day before surgery for blood work and a check up. I think that how the Dr's here in the USA make more money.